The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good luck to all of you starting F1 tomorrow!
Hope it goes well for you all
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I must confess that I didn't always carry mine. :ahee: And I was on the psychiatric intensive care unit.

Spending an hour on my own in a locked room with a chap with treatment resistant schizophrenia isn't in the least bit uncomfortable, but outpatient appointments with BPD/APD patients were really, really unsettling.

What sort of things do you see in psychiatric intensive care?
I'm quite interested in psychiatry - I should say I'm interested in the theory behind it, as I have no clinical experience whatsoever. I've heard a few doctors say they were interested in psychiatry in med school, then went on their psych placement and hated it!

I'm trying to shadow a psychiatrist over summer but the guy doesn't answer his phone and his voicemail inbox is full. I don't want to seem like an over keen student and bother the guy too much, so I'm trying to find out how I can find another psychiatrist to follow - again without appearing like a stalker/overly keen. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by seaholme
I found psych intense in the sense that you can have a lot to do (if you want) and it's obviously quite unsettling if people are in a bad way. I suppose you get used to it, but the wards where I was were more or less top security doors everywhere. It felt kind of like being in prison, I was pretty freaked out by the set-up initially. Especially because we weren't given any keys or swipes so had to stand out with the patients to be let into and out of rooms!! Anyway I'm sure it'll differ depending on where you are - good luck with it :P

I got told a really good acronym for the MSE if you don't already have one. ABS-MAT-PCI-Risk - working your abs on a mat you may have a heart attack and are a PCI risk! Appearance, behaviour, speech, mood, affect, thoughts, perceptions, cognition, insight, risk. It stuck in my brain really well anyway, good to have a format so you can work through the MSE logically each time.

Haha love it. Thank you.

And that's not unsettling at all.... :erm: :teehee:. I'm sure it will be fine. I am quite looking forward to it. Perhaps a gentler intro would have been good but ah well.

If you are given access cards for the unit, check your corners when entering and exiting. Never let somebody you don't recognise without an ID card through and make sure that doors shut behind you.

Gotcha.
Sad as it is I hated letting people into the anatomy labs that I didn't recognise. Sad I know!!

Original post by carcinoma
Let's scare the poor third years.

In the acute unit you also get a panic alarm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds good to me.

I had a placement in mental health before when I was left alone with a patient and kind of held hostage (as in, physically held) until the patient got the treatment they wanted. When given it the patient decided to run out into traffic. It was pretty terrifying. Hoping that this will be a little better at least.
Good Luck to all you new doctors tomorrow! Hope it goes well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found psych intense in the sense that you can have a lot to do (if you want) and it's obviously quite unsettling if people are in a bad way. I suppose you get used to it, but the wards where I was were more or less top security doors everywhere. It felt kind of like being in prison, I was pretty freaked out by the set-up initially. Especially because we weren't given any keys or swipes so had to stand out with the patients to be let into and out of rooms!! Anyway I'm sure it'll differ depending on where you are - good luck with it :P

I got told a really good acronym for the MSE if you don't already have one. ABS-MAT-PCI-Risk - working your abs on a mat you may have a heart attack and are a PCI risk! Appearance, behaviour, speech, mood, affect, thoughts, perceptions, cognition, insight, risk. It stuck in my brain really well anyway, good to have a format so you can work through the MSE logically each time.

Really?! I've done a week so far and it's been pretty passive from what I've seen. What sort of stuff did you get up to?

And your mnemonic for the MSE is awesome, might be borrowing that :wink:
Reading this thread is getting me hyped for my clinical placements in Year 3. Just got to pass Year 2 first.
Original post by navarre
Reading this thread is getting me hyped for my clinical placements in Year 3. Just got to pass Year 2 first.

Me too! Just got to do my resit next week and hope I pass it to become a third year!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28678420

Has anybody else seen this? Bad times, man.

Yeah it's a real shame, feel terrible for the families and the other students they were on placement with. I think Malaysia is the most popular destination abroad for Newcastle students to do electives in, guess it won't be anymore ..

Yeah. Been planning my elective and was umming and ahhing about going abroad or staying local. While it could happen anywhere this really hasn't helped the argument for abroad.

Really sad, really feel for the families and as Kaylain has said, the students away with them. Really awful.
Original post by Neostigmine
Got my third year placements through and I am starting with 6 weeks on Psych. Any tips?

I really enjoyed Psych - It was my second rotation in 4th year. Obviously it was new to me at the time and it does take a while to get used to it, but I had a really keen consultant who trained in North Africa originally. He wasn't the typical chillaxed Psych consultant you would imagine; he was very intense and would quiz you until you had nothing more to give. That said, he was absolutely fine with his patients but he would keep us back at the end of the twice weekly ward rounds and ask us to present our histories to the team of doctors and then would grill us on the intricacies of definitions, psychopharmacology, etc. It felt more like a surgical firm than a psych firm, but I compare my experiences to others and I really, really learnt A LOT from him by the end of the placement. In retrospect, I think the reason I enjoyed Psych was because he made sure you knew your stuff inside out before the firm ended so I never really felt like I was just there doing nothing.

Psych is one of the few specialities where you really have to rely on your communication skills to get through it properly. Psych histories take forever to do properly too so perhaps that's why people like to do the bare minimum. There is a fair bit of waiting around so you may find yourself dilly-dallying a bit, but just be as smart with your ward time as you would be on any other rotation, and you will be fine. Loads of people dossed off on their attachments, but my clinical partner and I rarely got days off, partly because we had this intense consultant. At the time, it was annoying because we would get in at 8:30 some days and leave at 6pm ON PSYCH (:lolwut:), but at the end of the year, I was grateful I spent all those extra hours taking that extra history for depression, or that psychosis history or that history from a manic patient, presenting each with a MSE at the end (something that actually needs some practising), followed by an onslaught of questions from the team. Great firm! Our end of year exams were pretty Pscyh (as well as Paeds and O&G) heavy in the written and the OSCE examinations. Maybe ask the older students how big Psych is in this year?

On the subject of acronyms to remember the MSE, we were taught to use 'ASEPTIC':
Appearance and Behaviour
Speech
Emotion (Mood: objective and subjective & Affect). You could always do a self harm/suicide risk at this point too.
Perceptions
Thoughts (Form, Content etc)
Insight
Cognition

Then as you would do with EVERY psych history, assess risk to self (if you haven't done it as part of "Emotion"), risk to others and risk from others (or "vulnerability" as some others refer to it).
Original post by manderson
Me too! Just got to do my resit next week and hope I pass it to become a third year!

Good luck!
Original post by Medicine Man
I really enjoyed Psych - It was my second rotation in 4th year. Obviously it was new to me at the time and it does take a while to get used to it, but I had a really keen consultant who trained in North Africa originally. He wasn't the typical chillaxed Psych consultant you would imagine; he was very intense and would quiz you until you had nothing more to give. That said, he was absolutely fine with his patients but he would keep us back at the end of the twice weekly ward rounds and ask us to present our histories to the team of doctors and then would grill us on the intricacies of definitions, psychopharmacology, etc. It felt more like a surgical firm than a psych firm, but I compare my experiences to others and I really, really learnt A LOT from him by the end of the placement. In retrospect, I think the reason I enjoyed Psych was because he made sure you knew your stuff inside out before the firm ended so I never really felt like I was just there doing nothing.

Psych is one of the few specialities where you really have to rely on your communication skills to get through it properly. Psych histories take forever to do properly too so perhaps that's why people like to do the bare minimum. There is a fair bit of waiting around so you may find yourself dilly-dallying a bit, but just be as smart with your ward time as you would be on any other rotation, and you will be fine. Loads of people dossed off on their attachments, but my clinical partner and I rarely got days off, partly because we had this intense consultant. At the time, it was annoying because we would get in at 8:30 some days and leave at 6pm ON PSYCH (:lolwut:), but at the end of the year, I was grateful I spent all those extra hours taking that extra history for depression, or that psychosis history or that history from a manic patient, presenting each with a MSE at the end (something that actually needs some practising), followed by an onslaught of questions from the team. Great firm! Our end of year exams were pretty Pscyh (as well as Paeds and O&G) heavy in the written and the OSCE examinations. Maybe ask the older students how big Psych is in this year?

You're really selling it to me!! I am hoping it will be good and I have been told it is really structured unlike some other placements due to the increased patient vulnerability. I'll ask around about the OCSE and Intermediates.

Yeah I am usually quite good with the communication (Even if I am usually lacking the knowledge to back it all up haha). Ahh exciting. Just having to enjoy a little more relaxation before it all kicks off!!
I found psych pretty dull, personally. Met some interesting people and had a few nice chats but it wasn't intellectually stimulating at all. Felt as though inpatient psych was more social work with a sprinkling of trial and error medicating. I still don't really understand how the juniors spent their time. I was really happy to get back to medicine and surgery in the end.
Original post by shiggydiggy
I found psych pretty dull, personally. Met some interesting people and had a few nice chats but it wasn't intellectually stimulating at all. Felt as though inpatient psych was more social work with a sprinkling of trial and error medicating. I still don't really understand how the juniors spent their time. I was really happy to get back to medicine and surgery in the end.

Ah. Maybe it's good that I have it first then as I won't know what I am missing out on! If it is quite quiet I would appreciate that anyway as we've got to do an essay on a case - history, pathophys, management etc and I've heard psych is a bit of a bitch to write about like that. At least I'd have time to have a good go at it :P

Thanks for all the help guys :h: I am not a fan of "known unknowns" and it has been really helpful to hear others experiences!

Off to go give blood now. Went last week but the tech decided the flow "could be faster" and adjusted the needle by pushing it out the other side of the vein. Lets hope attempt 2 is a little less traumatic :rolleyes:
Original post by Ronove
I know you guys can't stand it when people post in here before they've actually started their course but since I've been knocking about here so long I figured you might cut me some slack just this once... I got into Copenhagen and will be starting at the end of January. I've known this for a good five hours now and still couldn't dream of sleeping. I did not expect this in the slightest.

Congrats Ronove! Remember you posting from when I applied. Great news!
Original post by sweetchilli
Congrats Ronove! Remember you posting from when I applied. Great news!

Thanks very much! Lots of things have been occurring to me since finding out - such as the fact that I have a stethoscope that's actually going to get used (I treated myself to one as a motivation tool when I was self-teaching AS and A2 Maths and trying to deal with my then long distance relationship and a boring job)! I also have pdf versions of Kumar and Clark and Guyton and Hall which I acquired ages ago through entirely legal channels. Not that I'll remember to use them when I inevitably get pushed into buying the set textbooks for my course, but still. They're there.
Reply 2437
I enjoyed psych. They've definitely got the right idea with ward rounds - tea, biscuits, comfy chairs, and let the patients come to you! As mentioned above, a proper history and MSE can take well over an hour and is more opportunistic than a normal medical history. There's a lot of categorising and classifying behaviours which I found fun, even if it often doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to anyone. And again as mentioned above, don't underestimate the complexity of psychopharmacology - know the drugs, mechanisms, side-effects (especially NMS and acute dystonia) and monitoring. Plenty of opportunity to get stuck in with doing bloods and reading ECGs if you are bored. Get out into the community too - ask to go and sit in group therapy, rehab, AA meetings etc because it helps to have some idea what the differences are when you're faced with making a referral/recommendation to a patient.
Original post by Tech
As mentioned above, a proper history and MSE can take well over an hour and is more opportunistic than a normal medical history.

One of my last load of OSCEs was a psych case. They expected us to take a psych history in 10 minutes :facepalm2:
Original post by navarre
Good luck!

Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending