The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Piggsil
As some of you nkow as we are now friends on it, I downloaded GoodReads in the holiday so now I never have to bug GOGsoc for book recommendations again! I also now have about 10 unread books on my Kindle.

:coma: books.

If you don't mind, would you pm me your goodreads profile? I use it a lot:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Craghyrax
Which library has air conditioning and coffee? :lolwut:

This one. I may have been spoiled by working here for three years.
Original post by *Interrobang*
What sorts of books do you like? I may also be stealing recommendations :tongue:

I like fantasy, post-apocalyptic stuff, anything by Margaret Atwood, Jasper Fforde, mythology...

Original post by madamemerle
If you don't mind, would you pm me your goodreads profile? I use it a lot:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

PM'd :h:
Original post by Piggsil
I like fantasy, post-apocalyptic stuff, anything by Margaret Atwood, Jasper Fforde, mythology...

PM'd :h:

Hunger games :tongue: mortal instruments? That's all I can think of for now

- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (read the novellas first, but if you liked The Mortal Instruments, you should like this very much)
- The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski (is absolutely ****ing epically fantastically amazing - like READ IT)
- The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness (current trying very hard not to start the last one before I finish my diss, otherwise it's game over for me)
- The Bone Seasons by Samantha Shannon (a bit weird and a bit hesitant in the writing, but interesting concept and good story)
- The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (if you like witty and clever books that are well constructed and well thought through)
- The Ascendance Trilogy by Jannifer A. Nielsen (also good if you like a witty and clever book)
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (again, beautiful book, well written, compelling, and an interesting take on dragons)

Aaaaaah I want to read EVERYTHING. Must. Diss. First.

EDIT: I'm also on Goodreads here if you want to add me (just don't judge the amount of crappy books I read) :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anatheme
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (read the novellas first, but if you liked The Mortal Instruments, you should like this very much)
- The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski (is absolutely ****ing epically fantastically amazing - like READ IT)
- The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness (current trying very hard not to start the last one before I finish my diss, otherwise it's game over for me)
- The Bone Seasons by Samantha Shannon (a bit weird and a bit hesitant in the writing, but interesting concept and good story)
- The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (if you like witty and clever books that are well constructed and well thought through)
- The Ascendance Trilogy by Jannifer A. Nielsen (also good if you like a witty and clever book)
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (again, beautiful book, well written, compelling, and an interesting take on dragons)

Will have to make a note of these. I was reading the first book in the All Souls trilogy but have had to put it on hold while I'm buried under a pile of paperwork for placement (2 weeks to go then 4 weeks off :biggrin:)

I enjoyed the Hunger Games, although not really the 3rd one so much. Mortal Instruments is one I've downloaded already :biggrin:

EDIT: I'm also on Goodreads here if you want to add me (just don't judge the amount of crappy books I read) :p:

Excellent list. Will add to my "to read".

Haha, no judgement whatsoever;a) my PhD is on popular fiction, and b) I read a lot of Hard Sci Fi for fun, a sub genre that seems to evoke visions of social ineptitude and maleness.

I'm going to leave the link to my profile HERE for today too, in case anybody wants to add me :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha, no judgement whatsoever;a) my PhD is on popular fiction, and b) I read a lot of Hard Sci Fi for fun, a sub genre that seems to evoke visions of social ineptitude and maleness.

Oh these books are good, Fantasy and Sci-Fi are obviously ok, I just seem to have acquired a taste for "new adult" books which I have to revel in every now and then before finishing them and wondering how I can enjoy such a big pile of crap (think 50 Shades or Twilight without the fantasy element… Although some stories are actually well constructed.)
Gonna have to make a note of those books too when I get back
I also like reading "crap" books. Don't care if people judge me though :p:

HERE is my Goodreads profile.
Original post by Puck_1991
I was actually wondering about Cambridge libraries (yes, I could google, but I'm sure the Cantabrigians here can probably give me better answers) as to how busy they are (UL specially) and how often they're open (are they 24 hours?). I'm used to the Imperial one which only closes during certain holidays and on Friday nights to clean (and even then you can be sneaky and stay inside if you REALLY want to) and I'm wondering if I'm gonna have to change my owl hours.

UL does not have particularly long hours, I think it closes at 7pm. Some college libraries are 24hrs, others are not - Clare closed at midnight in Michaelmas and Lent terms, and 2am in Easter term.

I must admit I wasn't really a library person, and only went in the UL twice in my whole degree (and one of those was just so I could say I had been in there!) The college libraries can get very busy in exam term, but most of the rest of the time you can find space quite easily.
What do you guys think about tattoos...particularly in relation to academic jobs.

I already have a tattoo that is generally not visible, but I'd like to get one on my arm, where it would be visible most of the time. I'm a bit worried about attitudes within more stuffy unis, though, and that it might be something that would put off interviewers etc.
What do you guys think about tattoos...particularly in relation to academic jobs.

I already have a tattoo that is generally not visible, but I'd like to get one on my arm, where it would be visible most of the time. I'm a bit worried about attitudes within more stuffy unis, though, and that it might be something that would put off interviewers etc.

It's unlikely to be a deciding factor, but if you're at all concerned, could you wait a few years, until you have a job?

I'm thinking about getting one on my arm, too. I guess with the upper arm though it is still mostly hide-able. What are you planning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've added people on Goodreads and it's now making me want to update my reading so I actually have something on there :tongue:
Original post by Feefifofum
It's unlikely to be a deciding factor, but if you're at all concerned, could you wait a few years, until you have a job?

I'm torn, because as I get closer to graduating I'm realizing how fluid that ECR stage is...it will be 5+years before I might have a permanent job. I don't mind waiting a couple of years but I don't really want to wait that long. It's not knowing exactly how long it will be that puts me off waiting.

Original post by Kitty Pimms
I'm thinking about getting one on my arm, too. I guess with the upper arm though it is still mostly hide-able. What are you planning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not something too large; a black line and dot work pattern on my forearm. This is a piece by the person I want to do it. What about you?
(edited 9 years ago)

I really would be cautious. Many academics are very conservative and a panel for a serious job will almost certainly have one or two senior (= fairly old) members

Not something too large; a black line and dot work pattern on my forearm. This is a piece by the person I want to do it. What about you?

Oooh, very nice! :ahee:

I'd love to get a tattoo. Or two or three or four :tongue: But I'm too chicken. Plus I haven't got enough money for what I want done :sad:

Personally I dislike tattoos, and am particularly put off by the permanence.

In terms of interviewer bias, this was a factor that influenced my decision to remove my dreadlocks when I got married (the wedding being the larger more immediate factor). I want dreadlocks again, but have decided it would be best to strategically wait until I'm more established in my career.

Latest

Trending

Trending