The Student Room Group

How to be British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Which will most likely be the culture you have grown up in and feel comfortable with.

Unless you have actually lived in a foreign country, you have no idea whether you will like it or not. A holiday, even a long one where you stay with friends etc, tells you next to nothing.

I've lived abroad, it was a fantastic experience but it also made me really understand and appreciate what makes the UK such a great place to live.

Not necessarily. I've grown up with 2 cultures, so I'm not just saying it, I have some experience of my dad's culture and there are elements I prefer.

Out of interest, what makes the UK so great?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
To be fair, I don't on my own, without my family. Like I said though if they'd all agree to it, I'd be in Italy/USA/Tokyo/Spain/Canada before the night's end.

You really prefer American culture to British culture?
Maybe try and change your accent into a more British accent.(That is if your not British).

Try learning how people speak with accents in Britain. Try wearing what people of your age group from Britain wear.

Most importantly ......

BE PROUD OF THE UNION JACK AYE!!!!'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stiff upper lip.
Original post by TurboCretin
You really prefer American culture to British culture?

Yeah. American culture isn't perfect but prefer it to British
I'm not "quintessentially British", I'd like to know where you've got that from.

And I'm not self hating - I'm half British, not fully British, and I don't really like British culture. I'm entitled to have an opinion.

Yes I get that you're entitled to have an opinion and I know your father has Spanish heritage but you grew up in school here, literally surrounded by other British kids. There has been a massive trend within middle class British society to desire foreign things, foreign cultures, foreign foods. It takes it roots from Empire. Your accent is quintessentially British. It's very popular these days to say "I don't identify as British" and if you travel anywhere in the world people will see you as a British person that holds British traits.

It sounds like I'm attacking you but I'm really not. I am interested in knowing what about the culture you dislike so much?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
You are obviously a unique person.

I don't think I'm that unique. What German beer do you and the people in your town and city drink? And I'm still very interested in knowing what Australian show that apparently the majority of British people watch.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Yes I get that you're entitled to have an opinion and I know your father has Spanish heritage but you grew up in school here, literally surrounded by other British kids. There has been a massive trend within middle class British society to desire foreign things, foreign cultures, foreign foods. It takes it roots from Empire. Your accent is quintessentially. It's very popular these days to say "I don't identify as British" and if you travel anywhere in the world people will see you as a British person that holds British traits.

It sounds like I'm attacking you but I'm really not. I am interested in knowing what about the culture you dislike so much?

I don't desire foreign things as such, I just don't get on with British culture. Accent yeah, other than that I don't really see it. And I have dual nationality (my dad's family are Irish, with some Spanish further back - I'm classed as English/Irish)

Things I dislike

- stiff upper lip. I find a lot of British people reserved, cold and unfriendly

- self depricating. Linked to above, in the UK you can't be like "yeah I did really well!" Like you can in the states or italy for example. You have to downplay everything. It's a nation of pessimists

- also linked above people are REALLY reserved. I'm very touchey/feely and like giving people hugs and stuff and people here are so stand offish

- drinking culture amongst youth. Not as much of an issue in Europe

- there's a general "man up and ahut up" thing and people don't talk about their emotions which is bull****

Those are the main things but there are loads
I don't desire foreign things as such, I just don't get on with British culture. Accent yeah, other than that I don't really see it. And I have dual nationality (my dad's family are Irish, with some Spanish further back - I'm classed as English/Irish)

Things I dislike

- self depricating. Linked to above, in the UK you can't be like "yeah I did really well!" Like you can in the states or italy for example. You have to downplay everything. It's a nation of pessimists

- also linked above people are REALLY reserved. I'm very touchey/feely and like giving people hugs and stuff and people here are so stand offish

- there's a general "man up and ahut up" thing and people don't talk about their emotions which is bull****

Except you're being very self deprecating. People are a little reserved but I think that's mainly the older generation and these days most young people are very expressive. In their politics, their gender, their talents, their art, their sexuality.

Agreed. I have no argument against the drinking culture. It's not pretty at all. It's something I very much dislike about the UK... until I went to Australia... and Russia and then I realised things could be a little worse. But agreed, things could be a lot better.

Yeah, there is. I've found the whole man up thing is pretty much a thing that's expected of men in every nation.

You're not from aristocracy or vaguely connected are you? The whole stiff upper lip thing and reserved nature has never been a thing among regular people.

I'm not saying the UK is perfect but your disdain for the people and their culture is most unnerving.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Except you're being very self deprecating. People are a little reserved but I think that's mainly the older generation and these days most young people are very expressive. In their politics, their gender, their talents, their art, their sexuality.

Agreed. I have no argument against the drinking culture. It's not pretty at all. It's something I very much dislike about the UK... until I went to Australia... and Russia and then I realised things could be a little worse. But agreed, things could be a lot better.

Yeah, there is. I've found the whole man up thing is pretty much a thing that's expected of men in every nation.

You're not from aristocracy or vaguely connected are you? The whole stiff upper lip thing and reserved nature has never been a thing among regular people.

I'm not saying the UK is perfect but your disdain for the people and their culture is most unnerving.

I'm not being self depricating. I find it even amongst younger people. People here aren't as open as Europeans.

I've noticed it more here, but perhaps it does also exist elsewhere?

On my mums side, very mildly. Nothing too fancy mind but yeah they used to own estates and stuff back in the day.

I don't have a disdain for it, just personally I think I'd prefer different culture

Things I dislike

I agree with every single point. Add disdain for education and class envy (it's even worse than France and they had a revolution because they hated each other so much).
Bed anything that moves, drink too much, do drugs to excess, be stupid.

Enjoy role-playing this out.

Oh, and follow the crowd. Most UK guys don't care if their skin tone makes them look like a citrus fruit or their hair makes them look like a Nazi German Soldier from the 30's.

Edit: oh, and also, if you're male - tart yourself up more than a girl getting a full makeover and hair done. Take longer as well... then don't forget to hate every LGBT guy for being effeminate even though you could pass for a Panto' Dame.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by godd
Invade every part of the world, take all its resources, label them part of the "commonwealth", and give them a crap version of the olympic games every 4 years.

Every country and empire in the world did this right up until, err now?
Original post by JayJay-C19

Oh, and follow the crowd. Most UK guys don't care if their skin tone makes them look like a citrus fruit or their hair makes them look like a Nazi German Soldier from the 30's.

Edit: oh, and also, if you're male - tart yourself up more than a girl getting a full makeover and hair done. Take longer as well... then don't forget to hate every LGBT guy for being effeminate even though you could pass for a Panto' Dame.

My role model is Adolf Hitler he was hot.
Original post by DErasmus
My role model is Adolf Hitler he was hot.

Whatever floats your boat.
Reply 75
Original post by JayJay-C19

When you take the worst of examples of any culture you can make it sound horrible :smile:

Here's another example of British culture I've seen.
Work extremely hard in school, get degree get good job and raise a family.

TSR seems to be full of Anglo hate, I wonder why? :frown:
Original post by alex663
When you take the worst of examples of any culture you can make it sound horrible :smile:

I'm British... lived in Britain all my life... I just hate a lot about it. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot about it too but so much is messed up about it all now. In most countries.
Original post by DErasmus
I agree with every single point. Add disdain for education and class envy (it's even worse than France and they had a revolution because they hated each other so much).

Exactly. British culture isn't great 😟
Having a British passport
Original post by alex663

Lol at working hard. Work smart not hard. Capitalists usually work no harder than the people who spend hours in factories days on end if they're wealthy and can make a return they sometimes don't work at all, they do have the burden of risk though.

Quick Reply