The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mwatters
Which one of the central colleges has the nicest accommodation would people say? Also does any college have particularly good sports facilities/near good facilities?

downing has v good accomodation, quite expensive though
Which one of the central colleges has the nicest accommodation would people say? Also does any college have particularly good sports facilities/near good facilities?

Jesus could be one to consider. They have sports facilities on site.
Original post by St. Brynjar
Whoah, really? He just read out from some notes. I thought comedian Reginald D. Hunter said more profound things about race than him.

I enjoyed his too. I don't honestly remember very much about Jackson's talk, except that I thought it was good. Maybe it was more impressive for me because I'd studied him as part of an American civil rights module in A-Level History.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Grammar is what you need tbh! Vocab you can learn in your own time

I think 150 for that level is a bit meh though :lol: although actually maybe not

Yeah £150 did feel a bit steep given that I was only doing three weeks' worth of course, but then I'm getting some of the cost back from my college, and I'm hoping it'll be useful CV points, so I'm not complaining too much.

John's just remodeled their main undergraduate accommodation site (Cripps) so it should be quite nice now. They are also very close to good sports facilities, and a short bike ride away from the main sports center.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Yeah £150 did feel a bit steep given that I was only doing three weeks' worth of course, but then I'm getting some of the cost back from my college, and I'm hoping it'll be useful CV points, so I'm not complaining too much.

Did they give any resources or anything?
Did they give any resources or anything?

There's a whole stack of online resources posted on the CamTools site, way more than we got through during the course, and my teacher tended to print out a fair amount of stuff for us as well so I've still got quite a lot of stuff saved/filed that I can use. The textbook they use is a pretty standard one that's in most of the college libraries as well
Original post by Theflyingbarney
There's a whole stack of online resources posted on the CamTools site, way more than we got through during the course, and my teacher tended to print out a fair amount of stuff for us as well so I've still got quite a lot of stuff saved/filed that I can use. The textbook they use is a pretty standard one that's in most of the college libraries as well

:lol: sorry, I'm asking all this crap, when it's probably irrelevant until I get an offer (if I were to get one)
:lol: sorry, I'm asking all this crap, when it's probably irrelevant until I get an offer (if I were to get one)

No problem, answering questions makes me feel useful :tongue: I'm sure you'll do alright! :biggrin:
I've got a firm place for MML at Fitz for 2015, do you reckon they'll subsidise me doing an extra language course, even though my main degree subjects are German and Russian, ie already doing languages? If so, that's pretty handy, I'll be wanting to do some French classes :smile:

Edit: looks like I will qualify, according to their website. Let's make the most of it!!

Does anyone know if the extra lessons provided by the Slavonic department (classes in Polish and Ukrainian) are any good btw? Really interested in these!
(edited 9 years ago)
What's the outdoor pool like? What stuff do the college shops sell? And how do you find people from other colleges who are studying your subject if it's an obscure one? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. I'll be studying MML: to what level should I try and get my ab initio language before starting the course?

2. (I think this was asked a few posts above, but I'll go for it anyway :biggrin:): is it realistic in terms of time and workload to study a language at the language centre, in addition to studying for your degree and being involved in music, other societies etc.?

3. To what extent are intercollegiate friendships likely/possible?
Original post by Edminzodo
What's the outdoor pool like? What stuff do the college shops sell? And how do you find people from other colleges who are studying your subject if it's an obscure one? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

College shops? Do you mean places like Ryder and Amies that sell loads of college/university branded stuff? AFAIK most colleges don't have their own shops.

You'll meet people from other colleges in lectures/tutorials, you may share supervisions with some. There is usually a society for each subject (though I admit I have no idea how active the e.g. ASNaC or Land Economy societies are!) which will arrange some sort of social event early on.

No idea about the outdoor pool I'm afraid.

Vernish
1. I'll be studying MML: to what level should I try and get my ab initio language before starting the course?

2. (I think this was asked a few posts above, but I'll go for it anyway ): is it realistic in terms of time and workload to study a language at the language centre, in addition to studying for your degree and being involved in music, other societies etc.?

3. To what extent are intercollegiate friendships likely/possible?

1. Not a linguist so I'll leave that to someone who knows more.

2. You won't be able to do everything. You might be able to take a language course in addition to your degree, and do a few other bits and pieces, but you wouldn't be able to do that, play in a high level orchestra, sing in a chapel choir, play sport at university level and have a life. You'll work out your own balance.

3. Very possible. Usually either through your subject or societies.
Where can you get a college hoodie from? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6654
Anyone know anything about the powerlifting club?
Original post by Claree

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw hoodies in a shop, was gonna buy but thought it'd jinx it :lol:
Original post by Claree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ryder and Amies are the standard place for Cambridge stash.
When do you get called to interview?
When do you get called to interview?

I got mine on the 8th of Nov, but I think it varies; c.1 month- 2 weeks before the interview itself is standard.
Original post by Claree

AE Clothier next to Pembroke is where I got mine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending