The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Hi again,

Quick few questions. I've been provided with one set of uniform (a fleece, blouse and formal trousers) just wondering if it would be unreasonable of me to ask for a second set of the trousers and blouse? So I don't have to keep washing them every day (when I have shifts a few days in a row!). I'm only a summer temp on a 12 hour per week contract (although am hoping to transfer between stores for university etc) if that makes a difference. According to the handbook I should have an allowance of 3 tops, 2 warmth items and 2 trousers for the hours i'm contracted for...

Also if I do/am able to put in a uniform order, can I choose a polo shirt and casual trousers instead of what I was originally provided with (which I didn't get a choice over, as it was just whatever the store already had in the cupboard as far as I'm aware)? (as I've seen others on my section wearing things that aren't the same as mine.)

AND finally what do the casual trousers look like in comparison to the 'formal' ones?

Original post by Natasha Rose
Hi again,

Quick few questions. I've been provided with one set of uniform (a fleece, blouse and formal trousers) just wondering if it would be unreasonable of me to ask for a second set of the trousers and blouse? So I don't have to keep washing them every day (when I have shifts a few days in a row!). I'm only a summer temp on a 12 hour per week contract (although am hoping to transfer between stores for university etc) if that makes a difference. According to the handbook I should have an allowance of 3 tops, 2 warmth items and 2 trousers for the hours i'm contracted for...

Also if I do/am able to put in a uniform order, can I choose a polo shirt and casual trousers instead of what I was originally provided with (which I didn't get a choice over, as it was just whatever the store already had in the cupboard as far as I'm aware)? (as I've seen others on my section wearing things that aren't the same as mine.)

AND finally what do the casual trousers look like in comparison to the 'formal' ones?

I wouldn't think you would be provided with any extra uniform until your 12 weeks are up. Only if you are kept on should you be able to apply for more uniform.

Casual and formal are basically the same, I can't really tell the difference between them!

Hope that helps. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how much Tesco pay for a position stacking shelves (on the dairy section if that makes any difference...) for over 21s at a larger store? I stupidly forgot to ask at my interview despite it being one of the most crucial questions!

Also could anyone tell me anything about a tesco induction day? I'm scheduled to be in all day for mine and was wondering what to expect! Will it be paid or?

Starting pay for a worker is £6.91 I think. This will be the same for a year, and then it will go up to £7.39 which is what I am on.

Wages can also be higher depending on where you are - I know that in London and Edinburgh, there is an additional location pay which they are given and puts their wages higher :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now I don't want to look for a job, I want to open a store by myself, now I want to find a cheap supplier, I find a site inshopss.co can satisfy me, but I don't know the quality there. who can give me some suggestions?
Original post by johnmuir
Starting pay for a worker is £6.91 I think. This will be the same for a year, and then it will go up to £7.39 which is what I am on.

Wages can also be higher depending on where you are - I know that in London and Edinburgh, there is an additional location pay which they are given and puts their wages higher :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, thank you for replying to both my posts :smile: I'm on a starting pay of £7.02 which I think is really good as my store is in the south-west in a fairly rural location! And I did put in an order for some more uniform so am just waiting to see what they say about that! (Just finding it a bit awkward to have to wash the clothes every day and get them dry by the next morning when I don't have a tumble dryer etc)

I've just recently taken on some overtime, so I'll be working two 8 hour shifts this week but no breaks were mentioned when it was discussed, again according to the handbook 8 hours means an employee should have a 45 min break. Do you know if these are fixed? Or if its taken when/if needed and as they are unpaid can I take a shorter break etc? I don't really know how the break thing works as my contracted shifts are only 3 hours a day so I don't get any normally. I will ask someone about it when I'm back in work tomorrow too :smile:
Even though there's is an online process for student transfers this year (which opens tomorrow and closes 12 sep) I've found that the majority of express stores don't use it. Best option is to speak to your personal manager or give the store a call directly. I'm currently working in a student based express shop in Nottingham which has 6 student vacancies.
I've just been looking at the student transfers thing online, and it is quite confusing. When I searched for the transfers it literally came up with nothing at all...

I have already spoken to someone at my current store about transferring to a store near my university and have submitted a letter as requested by them. Would it be recommended that I also contact the stores I'd like to be able to transfer to (if space available) personally too? They are again, both an express and a metro from what I recall.
I've just been looking at the student transfers thing online, and it is quite confusing. When I searched for the transfers it literally came up with nothing at all...

I have already spoken to someone at my current store about transferring to a store near my university and have submitted a letter as requested by them. Would it be recommended that I also contact the stores I'd like to be able to transfer to (if space available) personally too? They are again, both an express and a metro from what I recall.

I'm not sure what to do either so get back to me if you figure out :P
Reply 1188
I'm also trying to get a student transfer and can't find the form anywhere. My manager did say to take a list of stores into them so looks like what I'll end up doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JJ_TW
I'm also trying to get a student transfer and can't find the form anywhere. My manager did say to take a list of stores into them so looks like what I'll end up doing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Figured it out will post back how to do it shortly!
So what you need to do is make an account on https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/. Once you register go to http://jobsearch.tesco-careers.com/jobs/job/Student-Transfer-Window-September-2014/11753 and click Apply . This will take you to a page with the store locator and a set of drop downs to find a store. Just enter Student Transfer in the first search box. That should then bring up one option which is something along the lines of "Student Transfer September 2014". After clicking on the link (or clicking apply after - can't remember) you should be promted to do a questionnaire which is the transfer.
Original post by JamesRT1996
So what you need to do is make an account on https://apply.tesco-careers.com/members/. Once you register go to http://jobsearch.tesco-careers.com/jobs/job/Student-Transfer-Window-September-2014/11753 and click Apply . This will take you to a page with the store locator and a set of drop downs to find a store. Just enter Student Transfer in the first search box. That should then bring up one option which is something along the lines of "Student Transfer September 2014". After clicking on the link (or clicking apply after - can't remember) you should be promted to do a questionnaire which is the transfer.

Thank you for this! Got it all figured out now, aside from the fact no jobs are showing up where I need them... Never mind! Hope the search goes better for you!
Thank you for this! Got it all figured out now, aside from the fact no jobs are showing up where I need them... Never mind! Hope the search goes better for you!

You don't search for jobs. You will end up filling out a questionnaire and thats it. Leave all the search settings as the default "please select" or whatever they are and just write "Student Transfer" in the keywords thing and that should bring up one job that will lead to the questionnaire when you follow through

if that doesnt work ill make a fake account and figure out how to do it again to tell you
Original post by JamesRT1996
if that doesnt work ill make a fake account and figure out how to do it again to tell you

Got it! It came up today with the questionnaire following the one job box of Student Transfers 2014 etc. Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 1195
I've got the questionnaire up and everything but I read on the students at tesco website that the applications don't get sent until the 13th but I go to uni on the 6th which is annoying. I'm going into my work to talk about it today because I can't be seen to of left my store until the transfer goes through

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I got offered a job today. I was asked in the group interview if I had any holidays booked. As the role I was applying for at the time was only 7 hours per week, I said I had a few days here and there but that it shouldn't be a problem since I'd be doing one shift per week.

The job I was offered today is 21 hours, over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

The odd holidays I have booked happen to all be over the next 2 months, and on those particular days.

I need about 5 days off over those days I'm working over September and October. Nothing planned for after that though.

How well is this likely to go down...?

I've got my induction on Saturday but I'm kinda terrified I won't get them off.
Hello, I applied for Tesco express on the 21st of August and it was on the day of it being advertised on indeed. It will end on the 4th of September but I got a rejection email today... But I applied to two other roles in Tesco extra on the 6th of August and that ended on the 13th and my application is still processing! Why did I get rejected so quickly yet the other two are still in process? :frown:
Reply 1198
Does anyone understand this question on the student transfer application?

It asks when I'm planning to return to university but I've already answered that in one of the other questions, surely the question should be when I finish university and return to my current store

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stacy88
Hi everyone. I've worked at Tesco for about 8 years now, im currently a team leader working on the non-food department in my store. I signed onto the Options programme to develop as a manager last year, and am just about nearing the end of the scheme. I was wondering, well more of a hoping, that somebody in this thread could give me some advice on the sign-off interview? What kind of things do you get asked? What's the structure of the interview?

Any help would be fantastic?

Also if there's anything anybody wants to ask me, ill answer as best as I can. Thanks.

Hi Stacy! I hope you don't mind me asking but I applied for a night shift role.. two days ago, it says my application is in process. The contracted hours was a wed & friday at 9hours per day.

Another Tesco job has came up(in the same store) with a 30hour contract with no set days. I was wondering if you thought it would be okay to apply for them both? I ideally want the 18hour one but im worried if i get rejected for that, then it would be wise to have another option.

Maybe not? as I doubt if the reject me for the part time one.. they mighten even consider me for the full time.

Sorry im rambling lol

Also have you worked night shift? if so.. how did you find it, and what is the pay?

Quick Reply

Latest