The Student Room Group

Nintendo Wii U Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Right, I need some Wii friends. I think my name on it is zodkfn (had to have 6 letters :< ) - add me/let me know if that's not actually it.
Original post by odkfn
Bought a wii u second hand - should come today or tomorrow hopefully! Also bought MK8 and Super Mario 3D World. Figured these would be enough to get me going!

Plenty to be going at there, I'd highly reccomend getting Wind Waker HD as well :smile:, will add your NNID when I'm next on :smile:
What's everyone's reaction to Ubisoft pretty much taking the main 3rd party support away from the Wii U? They will still be releasing the various versions of Just Dance (didn't want to worry everyone!) but other than those type of titles (I presume if the Rabbids gets another title it will see a release on the Wii U) the Wii U is getting no more 'Mature' games as Ubisoft is referring to them after Watch Dogs is released at some point this year.

The problem I have is that Ubisoft don't want to admit the reason people don't purchase games such as Assassins Creed on Wii U. The majority of people have more than one console as it's impossible to play every game on one format, so as Ubisoft make shoddy versions of the series on Wii U people are naturally going to purchase the game where they can get the full experience rather than a poorer version on the Wii U, but Ubisoft expect Nintendo fans to pay the same price as other consumers but for a lesser product.

Ubisoft are quickly becoming annoying to say the least, at the moment I think Nintendo are better off without them and should just keep releasing major 1st party titles to show them that properly developed and optimised games for the system sell extremely well and can look superb.

I often secretly hope that Nintendo would release a console that can compete with Sony and Microsoft that would bring 3rd parties flooding back, I think if this ever happened Sony and Microsoft wouldn't stand a chance against Nintendo with great versions of all 3rd party games, great indie support (already got) and the best 1st party games out of the big 3 (already have in my opinion) I can hope :smile:
Original post by Robbo-92
What's everyone's reaction to Ubisoft pretty much taking the main 3rd party support away from the Wii U? They will still be releasing the various versions of Just Dance (didn't want to worry everyone!) but other than those type of titles (I presume if the Rabbids gets another title it will see a release on the Wii U) the Wii U is getting no more 'Mature' games as Ubisoft is referring to them after Watch Dogs is released at some point this year.

The problem I have is that Ubisoft don't want to admit the reason people don't purchase games such as Assassins Creed on Wii U. The majority of people have more than one console as it's impossible to play every game on one format, so as Ubisoft make shoddy versions of the series on Wii U people are naturally going to purchase the game where they can get the full experience rather than a poorer version on the Wii U, but Ubisoft expect Nintendo fans to pay the same price as other consumers but for a lesser product.

Ubisoft are quickly becoming annoying to say the least, at the moment I think Nintendo are better off without them and should just keep releasing major 1st party titles to show them that properly developed and optimised games for the system sell extremely well and can look superb.

I often secretly hope that Nintendo would release a console that can compete with Sony and Microsoft that would bring 3rd parties flooding back, I think if this ever happened Sony and Microsoft wouldn't stand a chance against Nintendo with great versions of all 3rd party games, great indie support (already got) and the best 1st party games out of the big 3 (already have in my opinion) I can hope :smile:

Third parties have had a problem with Nintendo for years now, they haven't had proper support from them since the SNES days really.

I don't really care about ubisoft. They have one or two games that I enjoy but the majority of their stuff are these yearly franchises, most of which I would probably put in the same category as things like fifa and call of duty- shovelware. Nintendo should try and get good third parties on board but I personally don't care about developers like ubisoft or EA.

The Wii U uses a lot of custom tech and a lot of third parties are lazy so don't want to develop for Nintendo because it is extra effort. Nintendo always do their own thing and that is why I like them so much. I do think they should speak to third parties while the console is in the developing stage to hear their thoughts but they shouldn't do what sony and MS have done and basically just make a console exactly how third parties wanted them to. We already have two almost identical consoles, I don't want another.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Third parties have had a problem with Nintendo for years now, they haven't had proper support from them since the SNES days really.

I don't really care about ubisoft. They have one or two games that I enjoy but the majority of their stuff are these yearly franchises, most of which I would probably put in the same category as things like fifa and call of duty- shovelware. Nintendo should try and get good third parties on board but I personally don't care about developers like ubisoft or EA.

The Wii U uses a lot of custom tech and a lot of third parties are lazy so don't want to develop for Nintendo because it is extra effort. Nintendo always do their own thing and that is why I like them so much. I do think they should speak to third parties while the console is in the developing stage to hear their thoughts but they shouldn't do what sony and MS have done and basically just make a console exactly how third parties wanted them to. We already have two almost identical consoles, I don't want another.

I've never understood the hatred that some third parties have for Nintendo though, some just can't be bothered, some (EA) refuse to support the console after Nintendo won't let them run the online side of things (which would have been terrible) so just pulled support and any further games they may have had in development for the Wii U. Some like Ubisoft seem to fabricate excuses to stop releasing games on them. I know that if I were a CEO of a game development company I would want my game on as many formats as possible, to increase total sales and to please all the fans and secure fans on all formats.

This generation I've read (possibly on here) that the Wii U is the only console of the current gen, the PS4 and Xbox One are essentially PC's (albeit underpowered compared to an actual gaming PC) in a snazzy case. So I can understand why developers won't consider the Wii U as a viable format to develop for, even though as Nintendo are showing it clearly is but developing for the PC, PS4 and Xbox One seems to be essentially the same and is just pure laziness on the big third parties that they can't be bothered to develop a game for the Wii U and just essentially want an easier job. This kind of attitude from third parties just makes me want to support them even less as if they can't be bothered then why should any fans buy the dumbed down versions they insist on releasing. Watch Dogs is a prime example, Ubisoft will still expect it to sell well on the Wii U, even though nearly everyone had multiple consoles so if they wanted to play it they will have on a different platform, but Ubisoft will complain when it's sales are crap when it's releasing 6 months after the other versions. Ubisoft just don't seem to understand that Nintendo fans don't want to play shoddy ports, but rather want the full version, which they refuse to give which then leads to crap sales and then pulling support. I don't think Ubisoft realise they've got themselves into a vicious circle as it seems to repeat itself constantly.
I've never understood the hatred that some third parties have for Nintendo though, some just can't be bothered, some (EA) refuse to support the console after Nintendo won't let them run the online side of things (which would have been terrible) so just pulled support and any further games they may have had in development for the Wii U. Some like Ubisoft seem to fabricate excuses to stop releasing games on them. I know that if I were a CEO of a game development company I would want my game on as many formats as possible, to increase total sales and to please all the fans and secure fans on all formats.
Where have you heard that as the reason why EA dropped support? I'm fairly sure that it's primarily a matter of sales. Much as I enjoy Nintendo's games, the console has a comparatively very low install base, meaning that it may simply not be worthwhile to dedicate the time needed to develop games to support it - regardless of the time that they're released.
Original post by Illusionary
Where have you heard that as the reason why EA dropped support? I'm fairly sure that it's primarily a matter of sales. Much as I enjoy Nintendo's games, the console has a comparatively very low install base, meaning that it may simply not be worthwhile to dedicate the time needed to develop games to support it - regardless of the time that they're released.

I remember reading something quite soon after the Wii U was launched. If I remember correctly EA wanted all the online services on the Wii U to be powered by (is that the right phrase?) origin, obviously Nintendo didn't want EA to run the online side of the console and just wanted advice on getting a good online experience (as the Wii was frankly shocking for online). Not letting EA run the online side of things and the poor launch of the console coupled with poor sales for EA titles (doesn't help that they only released Mass Effect 3 rather than the trilogy and expected customers to pay full price for one game whereas customers on other consoles got the full trilogy for a similar price, great support from EA there :tongue:) meant that EA didn't see the Wii U as a viable format. A bit of everything meant EA stopped supporting the Wii U, I'm sure the origin online bit was apparently leaked from a meeting so I obviously can't confirm the validity of it. With how quickly EA pulled support though it does seem like there were other reasons apart from low software sales.
I remember reading something quite soon after the Wii U was launched. If I remember correctly EA wanted all the online services on the Wii U to be powered by (is that the right phrase?) origin, obviously Nintendo didn't want EA to run the online side of the console and just wanted advice on getting a good online experience (as the Wii was frankly shocking for online). Not letting EA run the online side of things and the poor launch of the console coupled with poor sales for EA titles (doesn't help that they only released Mass Effect 3 rather than the trilogy and expected customers to pay full price for one game whereas customers on other consoles got the full trilogy for a similar price, great support from EA there :tongue:) meant that EA didn't see the Wii U as a viable format. A bit of everything meant EA stopped supporting the Wii U, I'm sure the origin online bit was apparently leaked from a meeting so I obviously can't confirm the validity of it. With how quickly EA pulled support though it does seem like there were other reasons apart from low software sales.

Hmmm... perhaps this, from a quick search: http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/ea-origin-wii-u/ :dontknow:

While I could to some extent believe the rumour, I wouldn't have been surprised to see support being pulled even without that. Sales mean a lot to publishers. :sadnod: I'm not too impacted by it personally as I've viewed Nintendo's consoles as partner consoles since the Wii (in my case, with a PS3/PS4), but anything that reduces the market for quality releases is generally not a positive for the industry as a whole.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sales mean everything to publishers, but it doesn't help when they bring the games out much later on. They likely still wouldn't sell that well, but it makes the numbers look worse than it would have been. Even so, I understand third parties cutting their support. If they know the game isn't going to sell well, they may as well focus on the platforms that will. Sucks for the people that only have a Wii U, but a lot of people have one of the others or a PC.
Reply 549

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'm not too bothered. Perhaps my attitude is what's wrong with the gaming community, but I feel that Wii is amazing for fun, 'non-serious' games, such as mario, super smash bro's, mark kart, donkey kong, etc, but consoles with much greater technical capability (ps4, xbone) are better suited to the gritty and more hardware challenging titles.

I have a ps4 as well as a Wii U. If GTA, for example, came out on both, I'd always buy it for the ps4.

Just my 2 cents, though.
I had to buy a wii U because my wii broke. It wouldn't spin discs anymore.
My poor gamecube games are still sitting there since the wii U can't play them :frown:
Hmmm... perhaps this, from a quick search: http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/ea-origin-wii-u/ :dontknow:

While I could to some extent believe the rumour, I wouldn't have been surprised to see support being pulled even without that. Sales mean a lot to publishers. :sadnod: I'm not too impacted by it personally as I've viewed Nintendo's consoles as partner consoles since the Wii (in my case, with a PS3/PS4), but anything that reduces the market for quality releases is generally not a positive for the industry as a whole.

They released fifa on PS2 and not Wii U, I think that is proof that they were upset about origin. Sales are important but EA barely gave Wii U a chance and the few games they did release were sub-par.

Put then unimpressive sales come from watered down ports, I would have snapped the Mass Effect trilogy up if it was released on Wii U but as they only released ME3 there was zero incentive for me to support the game as both PS3 and Xbox 360 had got the trilogy for a similar price. Fair enough if it's just down to poor sales, or the console not being good enough. But I hate it when major third party developers blame poor sales on the fact they've released a lesser product compared to other platforms. Anyone with multiple consoles will obviously buy on a different format to get the superior version, which is totally understandable. Last generation I had to buy a second console to go alongside my Wii, I was hoping that the Wii U would help to change that this generation but it seems to be getting worse with less support from third parties. Kind of disappointing from Nintendo and third parties.
Original post by odkfn
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'm not too bothered. Perhaps my attitude is what's wrong with the gaming community, but I feel that Wii is amazing for fun, 'non-serious' games, such as mario, super smash bro's, mark kart, donkey kong, etc, but consoles with much greater technical capability (ps4, xbone) are better suited to the gritty and more hardware challenging titles.

I have a ps4 as well as a Wii U. If GTA, for example, came out on both, I'd always buy it for the ps4.

Just my 2 cents, though.

Tell me that 3D world is still fun and not serious when you get to some of the later levels, Blast Block a Skyway being a particular highlight of timing every jump and run to the exact second, I died so many times on that level but was intent on completing it 100% which I did! Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is also meant to be another great challenging game, I haven't played it but I mean to buy it at some point. Smash Bros can be as fun as you want or as serious as you want, same with MK8 if you race some of the higher ranked players online.
Original post by odkfn

Just my 2 cents, though.

That's exactly how I saw my Wii and now Wii U. I bought them for Nintendo's exclusives. They're fun games and worth buying the console for. I also bought Rayman Legends for the Wii U. Mainly because that was the lead platform and they made use of the gamepad.

I will buy pretty much any other third party game for my PS4. It's superior hardware and I have far more friends on PSN that are interested in playing those types of games. The PS4 maybe the lead platform for a lot of games this generation, too. More encouragement to buy the PS4 version.

I do understand when people say that they don't want Nintendo to make a similar console to Sony and Microsoft. It just makes it more difficult to encourage players that don't have much interest in Mario or Zelda to buy one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 555
Tell me that 3D world is still fun and not serious when you get to some of the later levels, Blast Block a Skyway being a particular highlight of timing every jump and run to the exact second, I died so many times on that level but was intent on completing it 100% which I did! Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is also meant to be another great challenging game, I haven't played it but I mean to buy it at some point. Smash Bros can be as fun as you want or as serious as you want, same with MK8 if you race some of the higher ranked players online.

Haha I do agree! When I said they're not serious I didn't mean they're not challenging! I simply meant that, at the end of the day, you're still a fat little plumber jumping on the heads of mushroom things, or a monkey driving a go kart, etc. Whereas on ps4 and xbone, you're a convict stealing helicopters shooting police in the face, mugging prostitutes, etc.

All I meant was Wii is great for games that are a relief from realism (not that I'm a prostitute-mugging murderer).
The original Fire Emblem game for the GameBoy Advance (Fire Emblem 7) will be arriving on the Wii U Virtual Console tomorrow as part of this week's European update. The game will be sold at £4.40 upon release as part of the current Super Smash Bros.-themed discount on VC games (standard price £6.29). This is truly a phenomenal game and I honestly couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone who is interested in the strategy-RPG genre.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/fire_emblem_bringing_the_battle_to_the_wii_u_in_europe_this_week
Original post by NathanW18
That's exactly how I saw my Wii and now Wii U. I bought them for Nintendo's exclusives. They're fun games and worth buying the console for. I also bought Rayman Legends for the Wii U. Mainly because that was the lead platform and they made use of the gamepad.

I will buy pretty much any other third party game for my PS4. It's superior hardware and I have far more friends on PSN that are interested in playing those types of games. The PS4 maybe the lead platform for a lot of games this generation, too. More encouragement to buy the PS4 version.

I do understand when people say that they don't want Nintendo to make a similar console to Sony and Microsoft. It just makes it more difficult to encourage players that don't have much interest in Mario or Zelda to buy one.

I may soon be heading this way. Now there is going to be no COD for Wii U this year it may be time soon to invest in a PS4...
Original post by Ashnard
The original Fire Emblem game for the GameBoy Advance (Fire Emblem 7) will be arriving on the Wii U Virtual Console tomorrow as part of this week's European update. The game will be sold at £4.40 upon release as part of the current Super Smash Bros.-themed discount on VC games (standard price £6.29). This is truly a phenomenal game and I honestly couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone who is interested in the strategy-RPG genre.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/fire_emblem_bringing_the_battle_to_the_wii_u_in_europe_this_week

Oh my God :O I've only play Fire Emblem: Awakening but that game was amazing, I need more Fire Emblem :sogood:
Original post by JordanS94
Oh my God :O I've only play Fire Emblem: Awakening but that game was amazing, I need more Fire Emblem :sogood:

I've played all of the Fire Emblem games that were released outside of Japan and I would say that this one is my favourite. The problem with Awakening is that the map system + second seals essentially breaks the game because it allows you to max out all of your units' stats by grinding for EXP in the skirmishes. In this Fire Emblem however the chapter progression is linear and there are no second seals, which I think makes this game more "pure" and balanced as a Fire Emblem game.

I also love the 2D battle sprites:

26-hawkeyecrit.gif
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest