The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Armin.
Oh please give over. Arianne is a boring little slut that, much like Cersei, thinks she can outsmart people but as we saw in the books *spoiler alert* she failed miserably. I admit that I enjoyed her sex scene with that white knight guy whose name escapes me at this moment but who cares, really.

Why does the show need a strong black woman? I hate it when people demand a token black person in movies/books for the purpose of patting yourself on the shoulder for being progressive. An example was when they made rue black in the movies. I don't get it.

Arys Oakheart.
I agree with your point about people demanding a token black person, but fyi Rue is black in the books.
Reply 6501
Original post by Armin.
Oh please give over. Arianne is a boring little slut that, much like Cersei, thinks she can outsmart people but as we saw in the books *spoiler alert* she failed miserably. I admit that I enjoyed her sex scene with that white knight guy whose name escapes me at this moment but who cares, really.

Why does the show need a strong black woman? I hate it when people demand a token black person in movies/books for the purpose of patting yourself on the shoulder for being progressive. An example was when they made rue black in the movies. I don't get it.

I feel this is the case when they changed Areo Hotah from a white person to a black person. What's the need for the race change? I think an oldish guy with a six foot axe would look much more epic... Does frustrate me at times.
Reply 6502
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Arys Oakheart.
I agree with your point about people demanding a token black person, but fyi Rue is black in the books.

The token black person in this season is Areo Hotah in my opinion. Why did they need to change the race?
Original post by ErHi?
The token black person in this season is Areo Hotah in my opinion. Why did they need to change the race?

They've made a lot of changes to be fair. It's an adaptation not a scene by scene exact recreation of the books.
Did it ever occur to any of you that the actor who has got the role of Hotah happens to be the best for the role? Rather than the 'token black person'?

On the Hunger Games point - pretty sure Rue wasn't supposed to be white anyway. Neither, by the way, was Katniss. They just happened to choose the person they thought was best for the role.

The same could be said for Hotah.
(edited 9 years ago)
How many spoilers do those 'Epic Histories' linked above contained? Guessing you have to have read all the books before you can watch them?
Original post by ErHi?

Why did they change him to be black!?

Original post by pinkpenguin
Did it ever occur to any of you that the actor who has got the role of Hotah happens to be the best for the role? Rather than the 'token black person'?

On the Hunger Games point - pretty sure Rue wasn't supposed to be white anyway. Neither, by the way, was Katniss. They just happened to choose the person they thought was best for the role.

I agree. I want the best person for the role to be casted, not because of their skin colour. It's silly.
Original post by MrDystopia
How many spoilers do those 'Epic Histories' linked above contained? Guessing you have to have read all the books before you can watch them?

Skimmed through it and it just goes through the events from way back, before the series even started, so no spoilers. The targaryen one goes up to end of season 2 and I'll assume the other ones do too.
This show gives me heartache. Every time I support someone it usually ends up with a knife through the heart and there head on a stick. Watching the red wedding made me shout "Oh for f*@! Sake!" at the credits.

The show is brutal and unforgiving and that’s just for the viewers!

on another note: Hodor is going to my universities fresher’s week :u:
Original post by Stevelee
This show gives me heartache. Every time I support someone it usually ends up with a knife through the heart and there head on a stick. Watching the red wedding made me shout "Oh for f*@! Sake!" at the credits.

The show is brutal and unforgiving and that’s just for the viewers!

on another note: Hodor is going to my universities fresher’s week :u:

Well he was at my Uni's Graduation party - it's a shame I've got one more year :bricks:

I like the fact that ASOIAF is realistic and this sets it apart from other series e.g. usually the hero would save the day, yet in ASOIAF no one is safe. I remember seeing somewhere (potentially on the ASOIAF reddit - don't go there if you haven't finished the book series) that the series is about what happens after the fairy tale ends i.e. the gallant hero kills the mad king and rules from then on in.
Original post by MrDystopia

They talk about events that occur before the start of the first book/tv series. So I guess it could be spoiler in that you learn of charters' back stories and westeros history before you would in the books or TV show.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6511
Original post by pinkpenguin

Yea this is true I guess. On the casting video he did seem to be very pumped for the role and more excited than any of the other new cast members. I guess just reading the books so many times (especially his POVs) has just gave me a very clear image of what I expected him to look like. Same could be said for Ned Stark though and I ended up loving Sean Bean as him.
Reply 6512
Original post by NorwichtoBristol
Well he was at my Uni's Graduation party - it's a shame I've got one more year :bricks:

I like the fact that ASOIAF is realistic and this sets it apart from other series e.g. usually the hero would save the day, yet in ASOIAF no one is safe. I remember seeing somewhere (potentially on the ASOIAF reddit - don't go there if you haven't finished the book series) that the series is about what happens after the fairy tale ends i.e. the gallant hero kills the mad king and rules from then on in.

George R.R Martin has always said that Tolkien had one huge "mistake" in LOTR. At the end of the book, he becomes King of Gondor, and Tolkien makes people assume he'll have a reign that is fruitful and peaceful when really that is not the case at all usually. GRRM just portrays a fantasy world in a more grounded sense whereas most of the other prolific high fantasy authors try to breeze over it.
Original post by ErHi?
George R.R Martin has always said that Tolkien had one huge "mistake" in LOTR. At the end of the book, he becomes King of Gondor, and Tolkien makes people assume he'll have a reign that is fruitful and peaceful when really that is not the case at all usually. GRRM just portrays a fantasy world in a more grounded sense whereas most of the other prolific high fantasy authors try to breeze over it.

Well GRRM also said that Tolkien made one other mistake and that was bringing Gandalf back to life without any penalty whatsoever so when it happens in ASOIAF, there are penalties e.g. look at people who are resurrected by the White Walkers they become mindless Wights; another example is the fact that when Beric Dondarrion was brought back to life by Thoros he kept losing part of himself (he says so much to Arya in Season 3).
Reply 6514
Well GRRM also said that Tolkien made one other mistake and that was bringing Gandalf back to life without any penalty whatsoever so when it happens in ASOIAF, there are penalties e.g. look at people who are resurrected by the White Walkers they become mindless Wights; another example is the fact that when Beric Dondarrion was brought back to life by Thoros he kept losing part of himself (he says so much to Arya in Season 3).

Yea very true! There's a much better example that we could discuss but it hasn't been revealed in the show yet, and I've read some reports which say it never will be which would be really ****.... Gandalf kinda reversed it and became more epic as Gandalf the White, so they really had different views on resurrection!

Can someone point me to where the GRRM interviews about Tolkien are? Big fan of both!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RadioheadHermie
Can someone point me to where the GRRM interviews about Tolkien are? Big fan of both!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can only find quotes but:

Gandalf's "death"

Aragorn's rule

As far as I can see, there are no book spoilers - only things already covered in the TV show
Reply 6517
Original post by RadioheadHermie

Posted from TSR Mobile

He mentions Aragorn's rule in this interview as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APLoxnEWt0Y

I really liked this interview, had some different questions that he usually gets asked. Most of his interviews are really boring, not because of him (he's such a captivating interviewee) but because most interviewers can't think of any f***ing unique questions to ask him.
Original post by Mr...
I finally finished season 4 :biggrin:

One word for the finale: WOW! :crazy:

Now it's time to catch up with the books :wink:
Original post by Mr...
I don't know if I should read them or not but it seems to be the craze right now :frown:

Why shouldn't you read them? you sound like you're holding back :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending