Scroll to see replies

If you guys don't mind which ones would you go for:
Industrial Economics L1N2 - Nottingham
Economic history and Economics lSE
UCL economics and business with eastern europen studies
Finacial economics/economics and finance at City/Queen Mary
Sheffield Economics

or

Chemistry with management, UCL, Warwick, Imperial(aspiring to)
Chemistry with a year in america Sheffield and still thinking of another
Chemistry and management warwick ucl and york, straight chemistry nottingham sheffield
or
Economics, business eastern european studies, industry economics nottingham, economic sheffield, economics and economic history LSE

which is better for IB and long term employment?
Original post by kamrul1234
Chemistry and management warwick ucl and york, straight chemistry nottingham sheffield
or
Economics, business eastern european studies, industry economics nottingham, economic sheffield, economics and economic history LSE

which is better for IB and long term employment?

LSE or Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2883
BCDU tp AAA* ?

Surely he jests ?
Original post by mrkl
BCDU tp AAA* ?

Surely he jests ?

It was ABDE, not BCDU. Look, I'll try. If I don't, you're my genetic and socioeconomic master. You're the banker. You're the one who'll get his car, house, girlfriends, parties and freedoms. You go and win, and I'll go and lose, and die 10 years younger. I fully accept that. I fully accept I am nothing without the grades. That's partly why I'm miserable right now. Cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If someone where to study dentistry at a non target university, would it make a difference to banks? Considering I'd have a level/gcse results very similar to the average IBer and my course would have been just as, if not more difficult? I might be doing dentistry at plymouth peninsula, since its one of my choices and very good for dentistry.(7A*3A GCSE A*A*A*A a levels) and just wanted to know what my options would look like...
Reply 2886
Still ABDE to AAA* is a very long shot. I don't think you are being realistic.

btw, I'm not into IB, I'm into finance but not IB.

Original post by Wisefire
It was ABDE, not BCDU. Look, I'll try. If I don't, you're my genetic and socioeconomic master. You're the banker. You're the one who'll get his car, house, girlfriends, parties and freedoms. You go and win, and I'll go and lose, and die 10 years younger. I fully accept that. I fully accept I am nothing without the grades. That's partly why I'm miserable right now. Cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrkl
Still ABDE to AAA* is a very long shot. I don't think you are being realistic.

btw, I'm not into IB, I'm into finance but not IB.

Thank you for your opinion; and finance? Nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just got A*A*A in Sociology, History and Maths at A level and have a B in AS level English literature.
I have no experience working In banking but I have done a placement in the finance dept. Of a local business and have worked in the economic development dept. Of my local county council if either of those experiences make a difference?
I'm about to start studying economics and international economics at Nottingham in September.
Can anybody help me as to whether or not my grades and course are good enough and what steps I should take to appear a better candidate for IB jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Johnathon16
I've just got A*A*A in Sociology, History and Maths at A level and have a B in AS level English literature.
I have no experience working In banking but I have done a placement in the finance dept. Of a local business and have worked in the economic development dept. Of my local county council if either of those experiences make a difference?
I'm about to start studying economics and international economics at Nottingham in September.
Can anybody help me as to whether or not my grades and course are good enough and what steps I should take to appear a better candidate for IB jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get a SW, internship & join some relevant societies and aim for positions of leadership. The uni brand is good.
Reply 2890
Don't mean to pour cold water but Sociology is on the LSE/ Cambridge black list
What are my chances like? A* and 8As at GCSE now going into year 12 to study physics chemistry maths and economics. Aspiring for a degree in chemical engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2892
Can you get into highly paid jobs in banking, estate, accountancy and finance in general with a Geography degree? I know this is true to universities such as UCL but what are the prospects for unis that are outside the top 10? I'd obviously apply for an internship or something during Uni.
Also is a BA or Bsc preferred? Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jmes123
What are my chances like? A* and 8As at GCSE now going into year 12 to study physics chemistry maths and economics. Aspiring for a degree in chemical engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will give yourself a chance if you study at a target.
Original post by alevelzzz
If someone where to study dentistry at a non target university, would it make a difference to banks? Considering I'd have a level/gcse results very similar to the average IBer and my course would have been just as, if not more difficult? I might be doing dentistry at plymouth peninsula, since its one of my choices and very good for dentistry.(7A*3A GCSE A*A*A*A a levels) and just wanted to know what my options would look like...

Anyone?
Anyone?

To be honest, there would be two issues:

1) The Non-Target Disadvantage
2) Why are you studying Denistry and now want to work in IB?

^ So, all you are doing is making things more difficult for yourself. It wouldn't be impossible, but very difficult.
Original post by will2348
To be honest, there would be two issues:

1) The Non-Target Disadvantage
2) Why are you studying Denistry and now want to work in IB?

^ So, all you are doing is making things more difficult for yourself. It wouldn't be impossible, but very difficult.

1) Surely the fact its a dentistry degree would be taken into account? Definitely just as difficult, if not more, than a degree from a target university, and the a levels/gcses to match.
2) its just something I was wondering about, wouldn't banks take into account the rigor of the degree, the excellent people/communication skills and the high responsibility?
Someone with a dentistry degree is arguably going to be a lot more mature and able to handle pressure than someone with an economics degree
1) Surely the fact its a dentistry degree would be taken into account? Definitely just as difficult, if not more, than a degree from a target university, and the a levels/gcses to match.
2) its just something I was wondering about, wouldn't banks take into account the rigor of the degree, the excellent people/communication skills and the high responsibility?
Someone with a dentistry degree is arguably going to be a lot more mature and able to handle pressure than someone with an economics degree

No, it would look much worse because as I am sure youre aware, dentistry and medicine lead to a set career path, hence if you swayed from it a bank would seriously question why you spent years trying to get into dentistry school only to forge a career out of it as soon as your degree was over, or even when applying to internships during the degree. Secondly, I only see one correlation between a job as a dentist and a job as an investment banker, and its not working hours.
Original post by Jmes123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemical engineering is a very very hard degree to get at a good university, and for banking I would say University Name>Degree you pick. So for example, LSE course in Economics and Economic history, easy course with AAB requirements would be better to land interviews than something like Chem Eng at Leeds which is A*AA and more challenging.
Original post by kamrul1234
If you guys don't mind which ones would you go for:
Industrial Economics L1N2 - Nottingham
Economic history and Economics lSE
UCL economics and business with eastern europen studies
Finacial economics/economics and finance at City/Queen Mary
Sheffield Economics

or

Chemistry with management, UCL, Warwick, Imperial(aspiring to)
Chemistry with a year in america Sheffield and still thinking of another

Economics anything at LSE = interview. Go for that one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending