The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Do you look after the Dr Who threads? :smile: Are we going to have a new Peter Capaldi / Doctor XII thread on Saturday with a new poll? It would be fun to have that I think. :yep:

It will be totally amazing to see Peter and Jenna working in the new one, it's horribly exciting. :colondollar:

Mod for the this section of forum can change the poll. Last series it was changed each week for each episode. Could happen again.
Does John Hurt not get included then? Was he non-canonical for some reason, despite being very much an 'actor'? :confused:

He is included in the regenerations, and is definitely part of the canon, but did not call himself 'The Doctor'. It's all a bit convoluted and they might start using a different numbering system now but that will become clear when the new series starts I assume.
Does John Hurt not get included then? Was he non-canonical for some reason, despite being very much an 'actor'? :confused:

John Hurt's Doctor does not go by the name 'Doctor', therefore he doesn't count as a official Doctor, just a official incarnation of the character.
Original post by Unibuster325
John Hurt's Doctor does not go by the name 'Doctor', therefore he doesn't count as a official Doctor, just a official incarnation of the character.

Didn't he get described as the 'War Doctor' at some point? TBH, I think his Doctorhood was fairly established during the show. Is this about not breaking the 'only 12 regenerations' rule, or is there something else going on? I worry that John Hurt was just too big a name to bestow 'Doctor' on, after all, he would have to spend the rest of his life going to conventions. :rolleyes:
Didn't he get described as the 'War Doctor' at some point? TBH, I think his Doctorhood was fairly established during the show. Is this about not breaking the 'only 12 regenerations' rule, or is there something else going on? I worry that John Hurt was just too big a name to bestow 'Doctor' on, after all, he would have to spend the rest of his life going to conventions. :rolleyes:

He was called the war doctor and acknowledged as the doctor during the 50th anniversary special, but the doctor still doesn't admit to being hurts doctor, so capaldi is the 12th actor to take the name doctor, the 13th face he admits to having but the 14th incarnation

Besides, they've already dealt with the 12 regenerations bit in the Christmas special

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
He was called the war doctor and acknowledged as the doctor during the 50th anniversary special, but the doctor still doesn't admit to being hurts doctor, so capaldi is the 12th actor to take the name doctor, the 13th face he admits to having but the 14th incarnation

Besides, they've already dealt with the 12 regenerations bit in the Christmas special

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, OK. That's all crystal clear then. :teehee:

Personally I wish John Hurt had been a full Doc with a series of his own, he was amazing in the part. :yep:
(edited 9 years ago)
To be fair, since we haven't really seen what the "young" war doctor looks like, Moffat has kept that string untied. Possible revisit in the future? Potential "time war" spin off? He certainly hasn't fixed anything in stone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timeywimey
To be fair, since we haven't really seen what the "young" war doctor looks like, Moffat has kept that string untied. Possible revisit in the future? Potential "time war" spin off? He certainly hasn't fixed anything in stone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes we have - there was a special mini-episode that showed 8 (Paul McGann) regenerating into the War Doctor (John Hurt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobSTIc-ywA

It's only brief but I think that rules out there being another actor playing a younger version of John Hurt's regeneration...
Original post by Feefifofum
Yes we have - there was a special mini-episode that showed 8 (Paul McGann) regenerating into the War Doctor (John Hurt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobSTIc-ywA

It's only brief but I think that rules out there being another actor playing a younger version of John Hurt's regeneration...

I know, but we caught a glimpse of a younger doctor, who knows, they may go back to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by timeywimey
I know, but we caught a glimpse of a younger doctor, who knows, they may go back to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but the younger doctor is still John Hurt. The fact that they showed that regeneration means there's no gap for another actor. Makes no sense.Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 14.30.49.png
Only one day left:jive:
I guess if nobody else adds one (unlikely! :giggle:) I will keep an eye and add one about 15 mins before it starts.

We can put you in charge of the poll, and hope you don't rig it to your liking - you seem trustworthy :mmm:
Original post by getfunky!
Only one day left:jive:

Cannot waitttt, hurry up DW :tongue:
Original post by bubble999
Cannot waitttt, hurry up DW :tongue:

It's almost here:zomg:prepare yourself Bublé
Original post by getfunky!
It's almost here:zomg:prepare yourself Bublé

Hehe :gah:

We can put you in charge of the poll, and hope you don't rig it to your liking - you seem trustworthy :mmm:

Aww, thanks. :blush: I am, I am! :teehee:

Actually it might be fun to have two new polls - one to rate tomorrow's episode and then a longer 'tracking poll' on how Peter C is doing as Doctor Twelve. << (I am officially informed by experts on here that he is indeed number XII and not perhaps XIII or even XIV as suggested in various media discussions. :nah:)

No, that was just us Whovians and later, the promotional stuff all describing him as that. He doesn't actually describe himself as the War Doctor on-screen. He doesn't go by any name at all.
Aww, thanks. :blush: I am, I am! :teehee:

Actually it might be fun to have two new polls - one to rate tomorrow's episode and then a longer 'tracking poll' on how Peter C is doing as Doctor Twelve. << (I am officially informed by experts on here that he is indeed number XII and not perhaps XIII or even XIV as suggested in various media discussions. :nah:)

Woo do it :woo:

I agree, he is twelve. War doctor and a doctor years ago in a film (apparenty another one years before the 1996 one), do not count :tongue:
Woo do it :woo:

I agree, he is twelve. War doctor and a doctor years ago in a film (apparenty another one years before the 1996 one), do not count :tongue:

Personally I feel sceptical about the canonicity of the Paul McGann Doctor - really that was such a one off - other than I suppose Sylvester McCoy's appearance in it lends it an aura of credibility. I mean, Peter Cushing's movie for example is never regarded as an authentic Doctor and isn't the McGann thing a bit similar to that?
Personally I feel sceptical about the canonicity of the Paul McGann Doctor - really that was such a one off - other than I suppose Sylvester McCoy's appearance in it lends it an aura of credibility. I mean, Peter Cushing's movie for example is never regarded as an authentic Doctor and isn't the McGann thing a bit similar to that?

I think the fact McGann's doctor has been talked about and included in things (such as when the faces are recalled e.g in the Eleventh Hour) so he's seen as one of them. I agree it was a short lived appearance so I personally wouldn't count him, but I always see Tennant as 10 etc. :tongue:

Quick Reply