The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Omgg I did not realise all accomodation was full, dont they guarantee it for all first year students though? I would be interested in flat sharing. I am also an 18yo female from london.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 901
Original post by ecjames
Hey Guys,
I'm a new first year student for Law, and the university and everything else is saying that there is no accommodation left so I've been having a bit of a panic. Instead I have been looking for apartments to rent independent flat with other people stuck in the same situation. I am 18yrs old and female from England, most places I've found are £140 per week so the same as student accommodation. Really need to find someone willing to share, very stressed and don't want to have to rent an apartment on my own for the first year. If parents want to talk then just let me know, as this is a little bit strange and didn't expect to be doing this for my first year - just let me know

managed to find an 4 bedroom place for about £100 per week - everything is so close to the uni

I would be interested in flat sharing, look at post above (lol I still havent got the hang if tsr)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarahnassauras
Aw woo:smile: Well I live basically on the outskirts of Aberdeen so at home, really wish I was staying at halls now though! What about you?

I'm staying at New Carnegie in Hillhead.
Anyone who missed out on uni accommodation, try joining a Facebook group called "The Aberdeen Homeless Society". The members are all Aberdeen freshers who didn't get a place at the uni accommodation. They're all looking for someone to share a flat with.
Original post by heithm
Thank you.
Another thing I would like to ask is how good can I find a place to live near the university, as all the accommodation is full.

I actually just got an email from the accommodations team as i seem to be in the same position as yourself even though i applied when there were still places. According to the uni, they are arranging, new temporary and permanent accommodation and they should be in touch with information about immediate accommodation soon. For me i'm a little stressed and i'm sure so would many people who aren't Scottish or Aberdeen locals because i cant make travel arrangements until i know where i'm going and i don't know where i'm going and so that's gonna be a problem because plane ticket prices are rising. ( sorry i totally had to go off on a ranting tangent). Yh regarding housing outside of what the uni has to offer, im completely clueless. Sorry:confused::confused:
I'm English too, visited twice, glad to know I'm not alone with this :smile: what are you studying if you don't mind me asking?
Eek my most recent post was meant to be a reply, not sure if that worked? Really don't have the hang of this forum yet. Oops :biggrin:
I had a problem. It fixes don't worry. Give it a few days. Try every day for the next few days then email IT
Original post by arilalalaa
I'm English too, visited twice, glad to know I'm not alone with this :smile: what are you studying if you don't mind me asking?

Not sure if you were replying to me or not but it's nice to see there is a few of us going up there who don't know Aberdeen very well!
I'm studying Pharmacology... What about you?
Original post by kerri-anne
Not sure if you were replying to me or not but it's nice to see there is a few of us going up there who don't know Aberdeen very well!
I'm studying Pharmacology... What about you?

English Language & Linguistics :smile: have you got accommodation?
Original post by arilalalaa
English Language & Linguistics :smile: have you got accommodation?

Yeah I have, I'm staying in South House... What about you?
Crombie Johnstone :smile:
Hi, I'm Will, studying Literature in a World Context with Sociology- feels so lightweight I know, but I don't mind because I plan to bulk it up alongside other courses like business and Mandarin :wink:

Anyone else doing this?
Is anyone thinking of taking controversial classics?
Can someone please help me? I'm doing English and from what I can see with that course we only do reading writing and controversial classics in first year, plus enhanced study options. Do we need to pick 2 other courses, for example philosophy and history to do alongside our chosen course? I'm being told so many different things and I'm so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just want to apologise for any confusion I may have caused with a previous post saying that there were no course selection forms. Returning students were only just told about these this week, until then, we were led to believe that everything would be done online. However, I am also part of the registration help team and will be undertaking my training tomorrow, so if anyone is struggling with the process prior to arriving in the city or at the university then please don't hesitate to get in touch and I can try and help after training.

Again, apologies for any confusion because I can only imagine how frustrating it is to hear 10 different things about the process. If it makes anyone feel better, 90% of returning students have no idea what is going on this year either hahaha.
Original post by Holly_Dolly
Can someone please help me? I'm doing English and from what I can see with that course we only do reading writing and controversial classics in first year, plus enhanced study options. Do we need to pick 2 other courses, for example philosophy and history to do alongside our chosen course? I'm being told so many different things and I'm so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

In first year your prescribed courses are Reading Writing and Controversial Classics which are worth 15 credits each. This means that you choose a further THREE 15 credit classes for each semester to do alongside your prescribed courses.
Is there ANYONE in Aberdeen that could go and view a flat or two for me? please, please, please...
Original post by Lily8603
Is there ANYONE in Aberdeen that could go and view a flat or two for me? please, please, please...

Have you asked in the facebook group "the aberdeen homeless society?"
WARNING

The university is now sending out emails to students still not sorted out into accommodation. they are saying that they found permanent accommodation for us in the city centre, but DO NOT ACCEPT THIS OFFER.
the accommodation they are offering us costs 150 to 180 pounds per week and it is SELF CATERED, which means food (biggest expense after rent)is not included, so this is extremely overpriced. Not to mention the apartments are shared. Im from Glasgow and some of the flats here in the more luxurious neighbourhoods do not cost as much.
The offer they are giving us is NOT acceptable as is it some 90 pounds PER WEEK more expensive that the exact same shared non catered flats in Hillhead.

We need to be together on this and let the university know that we will not tolerate such ridiculous offers. If no one accepts, that they will have to find cheaper accomm=odation than what they offer now.
Personally, i feel such an offer is plan rude, but if noone accepts we will make it know that we will not tolerate this. DO NOTT ACCEOT THE OFFFER. :wavingtheflag:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply