The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brendan.
Hmm.. Well the daily rate quoted there is incorrect - it's definitely £19.12 (http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Blue%20Book%202013.pdf - see page 56). I admit I haven't read through the report, but as some colleges charge differentially for different graded rooms, maybe a direct comparison like this isn't ideal anyway.

Univ is £17.13 though - so that's a bit of a difference! :smile:
Original post by evestudent
Hi guys. Applying for Theology and Religion for 2015 entry. Want a wealthy college close to town with fun people [a 'party college'] and a liberal environment. I don't want to be chained to my desk academically. Trying to choose between Trinity, Christ Church, Worcester, Pembroke, Oriel or Keble. Can anybody tell me which of the colleges closest fit the criteria? Thanks

Woosta isn't wealthy :nope: But that shouldn't necessarily deter you :ninja:
Original post by Lucilou101
Univ is £17.13 though - so that's a bit of a difference! :smile:

In which case the article is pretty much completely bogus seeing as it quotes £18.49 instead.
Having searched further ChCh's daily rate for 2014/15 will be £19.80. Money could potentially be saved elsewhere though - dinner is only £2.33 a night for three courses (when buying the term pass - which you sort of have to seeing as there are few kitchens about).

In any case, ChCh isn't that expensive compared to other colleges. Where it is more expensive, students could benefit elsewhere from the likes of grants etc.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Is it liberal and a good party college? :cool:
Original post by evestudent
Is it liberal and a good party college? :cool:

It is :headbang:
Original post by thewhitelines
Umm thanks. :smile:
Do you mind telling me which course are you studying?

Computer Science and Philosophy :smile:
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
Why did you choose Exeter here?

Exeter is one of the oldest and most traditional of Oxford's colleges, as a results they attract students who come from upper class backgrounds and private education institutions, this gives the college a more formal atmosphere when compared with some of Oxford's newer and smaller colleges.
Original post by colourtheory
Exeter is one of the oldest and most traditional of Oxford's colleges, as a results they attract students who come from upper class backgrounds and private education institutions, this gives the college a more formal atmosphere when compared with some of Oxford's newer and smaller colleges.

Lol I'm going there
Original post by fluteflute
Computer Science and Philosophy :smile:

Oh nice.. :smile:
I'll be applying by this Sept-Oct, is there any advice you'd like to give on applying, personal statements or anything?
Oh nice.. :smile:
I'll be applying by this Sept-Oct, is there any advice you'd like to give on applying, personal statements or anything?

Personal statement - write about what interests you in law, i.e. make it personal :biggrin: Don't think there are things you have to include.

And make sure you spend some time preparing for the LNAT, it's not to be underestimated. (Although I don't do Law so have no idea how you'd prepare for it.)
Personal statement - write about what interests you in law, i.e. make it personal :biggrin: Don't think there are things you have to include.

And make sure you spend some time preparing for the LNAT, it's not to be underestimated. (Although I don't do Law so have no idea how you'd prepare for it.)

Practice through doing loads of past papers, and it's a bit odd but doing AS General Studies papers are pretty similar!
I want to study EP and have narrowed my list down to New, Brasenose, Christchurch and Magdalen. I'm looking for a large college with good accommodation and food. Which ones of my shortlist has the best of those two criteria? Are any of these 'party' colleges (I've heard Brasenose is)? Also, out of interest, do any have a particularly 'private school' feel?

The tutor I spoke to on an open day from Magdalen was the loveliest person ever so that may be the dealbreaker here.. but I am also slightly tempted by New's larger intake of undergraduates to the course (I know I shouldn't play the statistics game!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personal statement - write about what interests you in law, i.e. make it personal :biggrin:

Wider reading + your own opinion is usually a good approach. Just saying "yeah I like EU law" with nothing else to say won't get you far. Word of warning though: don't be unrealistic in trying to portray a level of knowledge you don't actually have, as tutors can see through it.

Don't think there are things you have to include.

Evidence of outside reading.
Evidence of a genuine interest in law as an academic subject, not just as a career path.
Evidence of commitment for sustained hard work and effort.
Willingness to respond positively from criticism and build on your setbacks.

None are essential, but I'd focus on trying to include some of the things above.

How much Colleges care about it varies hugely. I helped conduct interviews with 2 Colleges last year, and for one it was almost discounted after the initial sift and was really only used as a tie breaker. The other was very keen on it. PM me for more information.

For LNAT generally buy some practice books on Amazon. Aim to finish them entirely and gradually work on them in the 3 months before you sit the exam. As for the essay element, you need to practice writing grammatically correct and well structured essays under timed conditions. How Colleges mark them varies. The most common system is that they read it and give it a mark out of 100 (in practice over 75 is near impossible to achieve) based on how good the argument structure/approach is. Most, but not all, people who get offers get over 64/65 typically.
Original post by ayesha_17
I want to study EP and have narrowed my list down to New, Brasenose, Christchurch and Magdalen. I'm looking for a large college with good accommodation and food. Which ones of my shortlist has the best of those two criteria? Are any of these 'party' colleges (I've heard Brasenose is)? Also, out of interest, do any have a particularly 'private school' feel?

The tutor I spoke to on an open day from Magdalen was the loveliest person ever so that may be the dealbreaker here.. but I am also slightly tempted by New's larger intake of undergraduates to the course (I know I shouldn't play the statistics game!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brasenose isn't a "party College". It has a nice bar/social space compared to most, but in a 4 year undergrad degree I never thought "wow I go to a party College".

Brasenose has a fair number of private school kids, but not excessively so. All 4 of the Colleges you name are known for being fairly private school heavy, and the stats reflect that, but it's not crazily bad in any of them. Personally I'd avoid Christ Church and Magdalen if it's something you're particularly worried about, but it would be a shame if you otherwise liked them. Generally I'd advise going on the open day and see how you feel.
Original post by Lucilou101
Practice through doing loads of past papers, and it's a bit odd but doing AS General Studies papers are pretty similar!

Critical thinking too (Y)

Absolute nonsense. Upper class? Exeter? Formal atmosphere? Large College? Have you even been to Exeter?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

You're out of date I'm afraid.

They recently sold a painting for £10 million that was on the provost's wall and raised a total of £56 million last year for the 300th anniversary appeal (see their website).

They also massively increased the accommodation and catering costs to increase the income and started making a real push for the conference market.

So it's gone from one of the poorest to reasonably well off in 1 year.
The only negative thing I've heard about ChCh is that it has a lot of tourists and Harry Potter fans :P

and allocates rooms based on your exam results in 2nd and 3rd years which actually discriminates against people doing subjects like law/history/classics where people typically get less firsts and are more likely to get 2.2's in mods vs their scientific/mathematical peers.

Or the fact they actually have crap like Beer Vedge or "the Loder" (all male drinking clubs...)

It's alright, I'm coming this year, I'll help even things out :colone:
thewhitelines
The only negative thing I've heard about ChCh is that it has a lot of tourists and Harry Potter fans :P

Original post by jenkinsear
and allocates rooms based on your exam results in 2nd and 3rd years which actually discriminates against people doing subjects like law/history/classics where people typically get less firsts and are more likely to get 2.2's in mods vs their scientific/mathematical peers.

Or the fact they actually have crap like Beer Vedge or "the Loder" (all male drinking clubs...)

For room allocation, scholars/exhibitioners (typically awarded if you get a 1st in prelims OR are recommended by tutors for high achievement throughout the year) get first choice in their year. Some senior members of the JCR committee currently also get a priority choice, although this is being reviewed. Typically there are ~20 such students in each year, and 3/4th years choose before 2nd year. Everything else is random, and all rooms are of a good standard anyway. You might be surprised at just how many arts students do achieve firsts. Also, I think most colleges use some sort of system like this is any case - it's not unique to Christ Church.

I've never heard of any of those drinking clubs that you've named, despite being at ChCh for three years. And again, many colleges have 'drinking clubs'.

Edit: Apparently I don't get around enough and what I've said is wrong. Best move along.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest