The Student Room Group

D&D Theology's "Ask About Christianity" Thread MKII

Scroll to see replies

^ thanks for that. I have several doubts/objections but this is not the purpose of this thread. (For example the use of plurality for God's name and when he refers to himself, the absence of the word three)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Is the word of God, Jesus Christ, eternal?
I find it strange that the OP asks non Christians to point out their own religion, yet does not do this himself.
Original post by Zen Baphomet
Christianity isn't a rule based faith, it's a grace based faith in which a character is changed to be in line with Christ Via the Holy Spirit.

The numbers of rules a Christian is prompted to follow are very few, and essentially boil down to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your mind" and "Love your neigbourh as you love yourself".

The rigorous and legalistic OT rules were done away with , with the foundation of the Covenant of Grace.

You are speaking of course (if memory serves me correctly) of 1 Cor 11?

The simple answer is that it was not a divine commandments, but a Pauline tradition he exalted, more detail can be given regarding this if you require.

In short it is not a requirement upon women.

Nuns in the Catholic and Orthodox branches of Christianity, wear the Habit to remind them of there faith and as an outward and unmissable sign of the vows they have taken.

To quote Pope John Paul on the matter

Agreed, and much better put than I could have bumbled (meaning awkward and indistinct rather than confused lol) it out:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 844
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Is the word of God, Jesus Christ, eternal?

Yes
Original post by mxcvii
I have some questions for you about your religion, if your not a christian then please state what religion you follow if any.

Hello! I am an agnostic, though I know a little something about Christianity.

2) Why don't christian women cover there head? l can't quote you on this but I read somewhere that It said in the bible that woman Should cover there heads and if they don't then shave there heads. The nuns cover there and I believe thats the reason why. However I'm Pretty sure there's many other religious christian women that follow the religion that do everything they should EXCEPT they don't cover there head. Explain why they don't do It.

This is actually very interesting.

It's usually explained away by the culture at that time. One of the religious cults in the time of Paul endorsed what they call Temple Prostitution, in which, similar to today, women would sell herself. One of the common attributes of these temple prostitutes was that they always had long hair. So, if a women was in church without some form of head-wear, they would look very similar to these prostitutes.

The modern day equivalent would be sitting in your church service with a bikini-clad women sitting next to you.
If you believe in a three-in-one God do you believe that:

a) only one manifestation can exist a time. Not two or three?
b) that they are eternally three?
c) that they are equal in power? If so why is Jesus called the only begotten Son of God?

Thank you and may the Father bless you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you believe in a three-in-one God do you believe that:

a) only one manifestation can exist a time. Not two or three?
b) that they are eternally three?
c) that they are equal in power? If so why is Jesus called the only begotten Son of God?

Thank you and may the Father bless you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope all 3 exist at the same time
Yes they are 3
Yes they are all God therefore all powerful. Jesus for a time chose to not use His power in order to be human.
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
Agreed, and much better put than I could have bumbled (meaning awkward and indistinct rather than confused lol) it out:smile:

Thank you!
^ thanks for that. I have several doubts/objections but this is not the purpose of this thread. (For example the use of plurality for God's name and when he refers to himself, the absence of the word three)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem.
Honest Questions:

Why did God order genocide in the OT? Why did God order burnt and sin offering in the OT?
There is probably some public pressure to conform. However, I would say that it exercises logic and reason in the same way any other belief does. If there is clear evidence that earthquakes are a result of tectonic plates and not Satan, I should think that theology would change accordingly. Revisions are not made solely because of public pressure.

For example, the doctrine of the Trinity first came around some three hundred years after Jesus was crucified. This revision was not due to public pressure.

If the above underlined is true - then is it not a must to believe in the Trinity? Or is it bound to Christians to accept the Trinity if it is taught? Or is the Trinity intrinsic - one may believe in it without a separate study on it?

I believe it came around by public pressure and was inevitable for the unity of the Christian state. Kinda like what the Chinese are gonna do.
If the above underlined is true - then is it not a must to believe in the Trinity? Or is it bound to Christians to accept the Trinity if it is taught? Or is the Trinity intrinsic - one may believe in it without a separate study on it?

I believe it came around by public pressure and was inevitable for the unity of the Christian state. Kinda like what the Chinese are gonna do.

Sorry, I've only just noticed this.

To be completely honest, there is not a single "must" in Christianity, apart from the basic "God exists" belief. Most people would say that, in order to be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus died and rose again. I think this is essential to Christianity, but some extreme liberals deem the crucifixion child abuse. Steve Chalk is a contemporary who questions the crucifixion.

So, with regard to the trinity, no, it is not a must. There are some Christians who do not believe in the Trinity. Personally, I regard the Trinity as a true doctrine with Biblical foundation.
Original post by Hariex
there is not a single "must" in Christianity, apart from the basic "God exists" belief.
Even that's questioned by some :tongue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism
Reply 854
Why did God order genocide in the OT? Why did God order burnt and sin offering in the OT?

Yes, to nations that chose child sacrifice and other horrible ideas and practices instead of his good ways.

If their ways were truly better they would not have been beaten by a nation of homeless slaves (the Israelites).

Burnt / sin offerings were to show israelites the result of sin, i.e. death. It was a warning that hit them in the pocket but gave them a chance to amend their ways.

The purpose of life is to choose immortality, freely offered by God. Once people have determined to reject that and oppose God's will there is only 1 result. They are gonna die anyway remember.

Of course the Old Testament is a natural pattern of what happens spiritually in the New.
People are called to kill "the old man", to live according to God's Spirit not "the flesh".

If you have a problem with that it may mean that you have not learned from history and may need to learn the hard way. If you want to learn the easy way come to a meeting where you will see the wisdom in the people.
Why did Jesus choose to become a human and not a llama?
Original post by Melancholy
Why did Jesus choose to become a human and not a llama?

Much easier for Jesus to save humanity while a human as well as preaching abd stuff... Plus this way it means we know that He can fully relate to us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is Christianity a pacifistic religion?
Original post by Ankabout
Is Christianity a pacifistic religion?

Yes - modern Christianity is. One of the commandments is not to kill. There is a lot of war, killing, and suffering caused in the history of Christianity, both in the Old Testament and more recently with things like the Crusades. But Christianity now is pacifist, yes.
Original post by Feefifofum
Yes - modern Christianity is. One of the commandments is not to kill. There is a lot of war, killing, and suffering caused in the history of Christianity, both in the Old Testament and more recently with things like the Crusades. But Christianity now is pacifist, yes.

Ok so a Christian cannot become a soldier who has to kill the enemy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending