The Student Room Group

I'm tazarooni89, and I can't sleep; Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meduza
Disagree. It's so easy to pretend having a mental disease that I wouldn't separate the punishment based on being sane/insane.

I would personally set up the system in such a way that there isn't much benefit in pretending to have a mental disease, while still tailoring the punishment to make it as effective as possible.

For example, if you commit murder, insane or not, you're still going to have your freedom taken away and be removed from normal society so that you aren't a danger to them. That's going to be an unpleasant experience and a punishment in itself either way. However, if you are insane, you might need rehabilitative care as well, be it psychiatric attention, sedative drugs, perhaps solitary confinement etc. You wouldn't "get out" of punishment by pretending to be insane, but the outcome would still be suited to that particular criminal as best as possible.
Reply 41
Original post by tazarooni89
lol, I don't know... Maybe I'll be proposed to next (I did say ask me anything :p:)

Yeah, they better form a queue... :wink:
Reply 42
I'm not sure I understand... Do you work amongst Muslims?

I wouldn't have thought it mattered too much at work. I was referring more to instances where, if you were married to a Muslim and trying to adapt and fit in with their friends and family, what might be some of the etiquettes to observe.

Yeah I do :-)
Oh cool :-) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
invisibility or time travel?
Do you believe atheists are more intelligent than religious people (in general)?

Do you believe Heaven/Hell in the Quran is literal or metaphorical?

Do you like Biryani? :biggrin:
I have no idea :p:
I like to think I look okay :erm:

Are the rishta aunties on the look-out? :P
Have you considered using shaadi.com?
Original post by 29Bilal96
invisibility or time travel?

Time travel. If I ever wanted to be invisible, I could just go into the future when technology is super advanced and buy myself a stealth suit!

Although I'd also like the sort of time travel where I can rewind or fast forward to any point in my life, e.g. go back to when I was a child, put myself back into a child's body, but keeping my own memories etc. and then I could be the smartest kid in the world :p:
Original post by Ankabout
Do you believe atheists are more intelligent than religious people (in general)?

In my experience of day to day life, I get the impression that they are.

In this country, most people don't seem to know about religions in any great detail other than Christianity, as well the religions of their parents. And if they do know about other religions they have many misconceptions of them. So I think a lot of people might be very intelligent, but just have incorrect or insufficient information as a barrier between them and religion. On the other hand, people who are not so intelligent seem to be more likely to be convinced by faulty arguments in favour of religion, or blindly believe in whatever their parents tell them etc. The intelligent thing to do is to hold back from forming an opinion until you find the information and the evidence to base it on, and that is what many atheists seem to be doing.

Although the trend doesn't seem to be a particularly pronounced one in my experience, and there are many, many exceptions to it. There are all sorts of other reasons why intelligent or unintelligent people may choose to be religious or irreligious.

Do you believe Heaven/Hell in the Quran is literal or metaphorical?

I think that they are literal experiences, except some features of them may be so alien or inconceivable to us at the moment, that they have to be described "in terms we can understand", with the closest earthly equivalent.

Do you like Biryani? :biggrin:

Yes :smile: I like the ones made with brown rice, lamb, and very subtle amounts of vegetables. Though I don't like eating biryani and finding potato in it :frown:
In my experience of day to day life, I get the impression that they are.

In this country, most people don't seem to know about religions in any great detail other than Christianity, as well the religions of their parents. And if they do know about other religions they have many misconceptions of them. So I think a lot of people might be very intelligent, but just have incorrect or insufficient information as a barrier between them and religion. On the other hand, people who are not so intelligent seem to be more likely to be convinced by faulty arguments in favour of religion, or blindly believe in whatever their parents tell them etc. The intelligent thing to do is to hold back from forming an opinion until you find the information and the evidence to base it on, and that is what many atheists seem to be doing.

Although the trend doesn't seem to be a particularly pronounced one in my experience, and there are many, many exceptions to it. There are all sorts of other reasons why intelligent or unintelligent people may choose to be religious or irreligious.

Ok that makes sense.

I think that they are literal experiences, except some features of them may be so alien or inconceivable to us at the moment, that they have to be described "in terms we can understand", with the closest earthly equivalent.

Ah ok.

Yes :smile: I like the ones made with brown rice, lamb, and very subtle amounts of vegetables. Though I don't like eating biryani and finding potato in it :frown:

Lol, I don't like eating potato with Biryani either. :biggrin: Hmmm, brown rice one sounds interesting.

Have you ever had doubts about being a Muslim?
Original post by Person1001
Are the rishta aunties on the look-out? :P

Yes, they are haha... although my my mum would prefer it if I found someone by myself.

Have you considered using shaadi.com?

No, I haven't. I just wouldn't really trust it, because people behind a screen can say anything they like about themselves and you never really know how much of it is true. Whereas with rishta aunties, you sort of get an independent opinion from someone who knows what the person is "truly" like, when they aren't trying to impress. And the person you're being introduced to might be someone you vaguely know by name or reputation already.
Have you ever had doubts about being a Muslim?

Yes, I have, many times. But I think that's a good thing. Doubt provides a mechanism to get rid of, or refine any false beliefs I might have floating around, and just leave myself with the true ones. Only by subjecting my beliefs to doubt and challenge, can I be truly confident in them, because I can then say to myself "Well if they were wrong, they wouldn't be there anymore".

This is the main reason why I like to debate about Islam so much. I want other people to challenge my beliefs and introduce doubts into my head, and then I can see whether or not my religious beliefs successfully stand up to them. And so far, I think they have done :smile:
Yes, I have, many times. But I think that's a good thing. Doubt provides a mechanism to get rid of, or refine any false beliefs I might have floating around, and just leave myself with the true ones. Only by subjecting my beliefs to doubt and challenge, can I be truly confident in them, because I can then say to myself "Well if they were wrong, they wouldn't be there anymore".

This is the main reason why I like to debate about Islam so much. I want other people to challenge my beliefs and introduce doubts into my head, and then I can see whether or not my religious beliefs successfully stand up to them. And so far, I think they have done :smile:

Yes I believe that doubt leads to knowledge as well. :smile:

SO why are you a Muslim? Do you believe it is a logical path or do you like the spirituality element to being one?
Yes I believe that doubt leads to knowledge as well. :smile:

SO why are you a Muslim? Do you believe it is a logical path or do you like the spirituality element to being one?

I'm a Muslim because my thoughts lead me to Islam as a logical conclusion.

I believe that God exists. I believe that the historical facts recorded in the Qur'an are true. I think I have exhaustively considered the theories as to where the Qur'an could have come from, if it were not a divine revelation, and find them all to be much more unlikely. Also, I believe that the rules in the Qur'an guide us towards things that are naturally good for us, and away from things that are naturally bad for us, providing a layout for very well functioning lives and societies. I would follow these rules even if I were not Muslim, because I think that whoever came up with them, God or man, definitely had the right idea.

It's not so much about any "spirituality element" for me. It's just the result of a cold, hard information and truth-seeking exercise.

I believe that God exists. I believe that the historical facts recorded in the Qur'an are true. I think I have exhaustively considered the theories as to where the Qur'an could have come from, if it were not a divine revelation, and find them all to be much more unlikely. Also, I believe that the rules in the Qur'an guide us towards things that are naturally good for us, and away from things that are naturally bad for us, providing a layout for very well functioning lives and societies. I would follow these rules even if I were not Muslim, because I think that whoever came up with them, God or man, definitely had the right idea.

It's not so much about any "spirituality element" for me. It's just the result of a cold, hard information and truth-seeking exercise.

Wow that's awesome. :gthumb:

I'll ask you more questions when I have more time. :smile:

The process you've described seems like the logical and 'the correct way' to become a muslim. Is Islam still accessible to those less learned and less logical and in what ways?
What does "tazarooni" mean? It can't be a name :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoyalBlue7
What does "tazarooni" mean? It can't be a name :redface:

lol, "tazarooni" is a nickname that my uncle used to use for me when I was younger. I don't really know where it came from, and his nicknames for me have evolved even more wildly since then :p:
Original post by Person1001
The process you've described seems like the logical and 'the correct way' to become a muslim. Is Islam still accessible to those less learned and less logical and in what ways?

Hmm, well regarding people who are less learned and logical: According to Islam, Allah has given us all the faculty of reason, and the ability to seek and retain knowledge in order to become learned. In fact it's traditionally said to be the greatest gift that humans ever got. So I think it's the duty of all of us to use it, and Islam should be accessible to anybody who does.

Of course, some people's faculty of reasoning might not be so well developed. In the most extreme case you have babies, who can't really do much thinking for themselves. I don't think there would be any blame on anyone who failed to access Islam due to those sorts of limitations though.
Reply 58
Do you describe yourself as good looking?
Have you read the Quran in translation?
At what age do you look to get married?
How many kids do you want?
Boy or girl?
Would you marry more than one wife?
Original post by Roger1
Do you describe yourself as good looking?

Yeah I'm pretty okay looking, somewhere above average, I like to think...

Have you read the Quran in translation?

I have, yes. I like to read it on my iPhone/iPad app, where you can flick between different translations and easily look up the meanings of words in more detail.

At what age do you look to get married?

Whenever I find the right person really, and we're both ready! Preferably after I've completed my last couple of actuarial exams, and hopefully some time before I'm say 30.

How many kids do you want?

As long as I can financially afford to look after them properly, I'd be happy with any number. It'd probably depend more on how many my wife is willing to give birth to!

Boy or girl?

Again, I'd be happy with either. But I like the idea of having a boy, because I have experience of being one myself, so I'd feel more able to pass down my pearls of wisdom :p:

Would you marry more than one wife?

It'd be extremely unlikely; that kind of thing isn't really compatible with the society and culture that I'm from, even though I know that it's permissible in Islam. I'm not really used to the idea.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest