The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Any undergrads moving into Kingfisher hall in Lougborough?

Just wanted to see if there is any undergrads moving into kingfisher hall this year. I didn't get the accommodation that I wanted and it was too expensive. So any freshers moving in?
Also, if you have lived there before how is it like and are the rooms nice
Reply 1
Anyone??
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
I've visited Kingfisher Hall a few times. It's a collection of several buildings, which are quite different. Some of the rooms are nicer than others. The people I know who lived there found it ok, and it's generally quieter than the main halls of residence. From my visits I got the impression that quite a few international students stay there, as well as some mature students who have moved to Loughborough from elsewhere. Some people from my course stayed there too who weren't mature students, so it's quite the mix. It's about the same distance from the Union as the Holt, and if you want to affiliate with a Hall for Freshers the closest ones would be the Holt (although I think this is no longer owned by the Uni), Towers and Butler Court.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LSUFever
I've visited Kingfisher Hall a few times. It's a collection of several buildings, which are quite different. Some of the rooms are nicer than others. The people I know who lived there found it ok, and it's generally quieter than the main halls of residence. From my visits I got the impression that quite a few international students stay there, as well as some mature students who have moved to Loughborough from elsewhere. Some people from my course stayed there too who were'nt mature students, so it's quite the mix. It's about the same distance from the Union as the Holt, and if you want to affiliate with a Hall for Freshers the closest ones would be the Holt (although I think this is no longer owned by the Uni), Towers and Butler Court.

Thank you !
Reply 4
I've visited Kingfisher Hall a few times. It's a collection of several buildings, which are quite different. Some of the rooms are nicer than others. The people I know who lived there found it ok, and it's generally quieter than the main halls of residence. From my visits I got the impression that quite a few international students stay there, as well as some mature students who have moved to Loughborough from elsewhere. Some people from my course stayed there too who weren't mature students, so it's quite the mix. It's about the same distance from the Union as the Holt, and if you want to affiliate with a Hall for Freshers the closest ones would be the Holt (although I think this is no longer owned by the Uni), Towers and Butler Court.

Oh, I have question. Are they a lot of first and second year students there? I do want to affiliate with Halls for fresher but how do I do that. I hope I'm not the only first year student there. If I knew about holt I would have booked a room there instead. Oh wells. What course do you do?
Reply 5
Original post by Mercy.O
Oh, I have question. Are they a lot of first and second year students there? I do want to affiliate with Halls for fresher but how do I do that. I hope I'm not the only first year student there. If I knew about holt I would have booked a room there instead. Oh wells. What course do you do?

You won't be the only fresher there, but I don't think there are lots - I think there are more 2nd years than Freshers in Kingfisher. You affiliate by buying a hall affiliation through www.lsu.co.uk and searching for the hall page. Check the descriptions first as I'm on my phone and doing this from memory, but I think it's called something like freshers affiliation or external fresher affiliation.

Don't worry about being left out - Keep your eyes and ears open and ask people what's going on :smile: although I'm arguably a little biased I'd highly recommend joining societies to meet new people and to get involved in fun events (check the lsu societies thread).

And as for your last question, I'm a physicist.

Edit: sorry for abrupt ending, I was on a train that was about to go underground :tongue: I'm a physicist, but I know a lot of people from other courses through societies and campus events. The LSU Societies Thread can be found here. Feel free to ask more questions as you think of them!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
You won't be the only fresher there, but I don't think there are lots - I think there are more 2nd years than Freshers in Kingfisher. You affiliate by buying a hall affiliation through www.lsu.co.uk and searching for the hall page. Check the descriptions first as I'm on my phone and doing this from memory, but I think it's called something like freshers affiliation or external fresher affiliation.

Don't worry about being left out - Keep your eyes and ears open and ask people what's going on :smile: although I'm arguably a little biased I'd highly recommend joining societies to meet new people and to get involved in fun events (check the lsu societies thread).

And as for your last question, I'm a physicist.

Edit: sorry for abrupt ending, I was on a train that was about to go underground :tongue: I'm a physicist, but I know a lot of people from other courses through societies and campus events. The LSU Societies Thread can be found here. Feel free to ask more questions as you think of them!

Oooh a Physicist! All I can think of now is Big Bang Theory. I'm Chemical Engineer... even though I haven't even started my course yet. I have another question I'm moving into Kingfisher on the same day that Robert Bakewell, Telford, John Phillips, Forest Court, Cayley and Falkner Eggington move in. Out of the halls listed what is the best and closest hall to join. Thanks.
Original post by Mercy.O
Oooh a Physicist! All I can think of now is Big Bang Theory. I'm Chemical Engineer... even though I haven't even started my course yet. I have another question I'm moving into Kingfisher on the same day that Robert Bakewell, Telford, John Phillips, Forest Court, Cayley and Falkner Eggington move in. Out of the halls listed what is the best and closest hall to join. Thanks.

Sorry to jump in, just thought I'd offer my opinion too. I'd say perhaps not Forest Court or John Phillips as these halls have previously (and may still be) primarily post-grad or ERASMUS halls. I've heard John Phillips is letting freshers in this year but as this is relatively new, the hall spirit is likely to be a bit lacklustre. Any of the other halls would be a good shout though.

Edit: if I'm right in thinking that Falk Egg is in a new location, that would probably be the closest to Kingfisher halls. Robert Bakewell would be the furthest away followed by Cayley. But Telford isn't ridiculously close either. Good luck making your decision, have a great freshers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Misophonia
Sorry to jump in, just thought I'd offer my opinion too. I'd say perhaps not Forest Court or John Phillips as these halls have previously (and may still be) primarily post-grad or ERASMUS halls. I've heard John Phillips is letting freshers in this year but as this is relatively new, the hall spirit is likely to be a bit lacklustre. Any of the other halls would be a good shout though.

Edit: if I'm right in thinking that Falk Egg is in a new location, that would probably be the closest to Kingfisher halls. Robert Bakewell would be the furthest away followed by Cayley. But Telford isn't ridiculously close either. Good luck making your decision, have a great freshers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!! I don't mind you jumping in any advice is good advice... well kinda. Yeah I'll definitely consider joining Falk egg now. Hopefully the new location is quite close to Kingfisher. Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Mercy.O

Original post by Misophonia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Misophonia, don't worry about jumping in! :smile: One question though, by 'new location' do you actually mean the 'old location', behind EHB and Chemistry, with the back gate that heads off towards the Toby Carvery?

Mercy.O, out of the halls you have listed Misophonia is right, and Falk Egg is your best bet :smile: However, there are other halls which are slightly closer but that have a different move in day. Your closest two Uni halls would be Towers and Butler. The Holt is equally close, but I'm unsure of how they run their Freshers' events now that they are a privately run Hall.

So in short:
- Out of your list, Falk Egg is a good choice as they are quite close (and they have a long-standing reputation for partying ;D).
- Not on your list, I'd recommend Towers followed by Butler as they are closer to Kingfisher. I know Towers has a good social reputation too, I'm not as familiar with Butler.
- The Holt is very close to you, but I'm unsure of both their moving day and their social activities now that they are no longer run by the Uni.
Misophonia, don't worry about jumping in! :smile: One question though, by 'new location' do you actually mean the 'old location', behind EHB and Chemistry, with the back gate that heads off towards the Toby Carvery?

Ah yes! In my fresher year Falk Egg was near the Library so I've never known any different :')

But OP I second what LSUFever is saying r.e. Towers hall. Would probably be best!

(This is my other account)
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11

Mercy.O, out of the halls you have listed Misophonia is right, and Falk Egg is your best bet :smile: However, there are other halls which are slightly closer but that have a different move in day. Your closest two Uni halls would be Towers and Butler. The Holt is equally close, but I'm unsure of how they run their Freshers' events now that they are a privately run Hall.

So in short:
- Out of your list, Falk Egg is a good choice as they are quite close (and they have a long-standing reputation for partying ;D).
- Not on your list, I'd recommend Towers followed by Butler as they are closer to Kingfisher. I know Towers has a good social reputation too, I'm not as familiar with Butler.
- The Holt is very close to you, but I'm unsure of both their moving day and their social activities now that they are no longer run by the Uni.

Original post by Alxndra
Ah yes! In my fresher year Falk Egg was near the Library so I've never known any different :')

But OP I second what LSUFever is saying r.e. Towers hall. Would probably be best!

(This is my other account)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Guys! I checked the distance from Falk Egg to Kingsfisher apparently it is 12 min walk which is pretty good. I was considering joining Towers at freshers but they move on 23rd and they would have already started partying and getting to know each other. And I'm going to check if Holt is doing anything for freshers as well. Thanks guys!!
Hey I'm living in KF this year, I just sent you a PM :smile:
Original post by Mercy.O
Thanks Guys! I checked the distance from Falk Egg to Kingsfisher apparently it is 12 min walk which is pretty good. I was considering joining Towers at freshers but they move on 23rd and they would have already started partying and getting to know each other. And I'm going to check if Holt is doing anything for freshers as well. Thanks guys!!

Bear in mind that you can't meet the entirety of your Hall in a single night! You'll be meeting new people pretty much every day for the first 2-3 weeks :smile:
Mercy.O how was your experience in Kingfisher halls? I'm also a chemical engineer starting this September and I'm thinking of living in Kingfisher halls. Your input would help so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending