The Student Room Group

GCSE grades and Medicine

Hi, Ive received my results and achieved 3A*, 7As and 3bs. I am slightly disappointed but hopefully I will work hard enough to do well in a levels whilst also involving myself in work experiences and lots of helpful extra cirriculars.
I was wondering if I would be able to get a place in medicine with these grades and if so, which universities could I get into provided I have strong UKCAT and Alevel results

Thanks
Reply 1
I got the exact same results :smile: I've looked under loads of universities and most of them say that they are good enough. I went to a taste of medicine week at Manchester royal infirmary, they said that they want at least 5 As at gcse and once uve got these they don't care about the grades anymore. My dad is also a doctor and he says that it is fine, as we got 10 As and A*s. So anyway, I hope this helped. Just work really hard and try get 3 As at least for A lvl, and do loads of volunteering in a care type place, or even a hospital.
Most universities hold A* and A grades at GCSE under the same banner-i.e they take 8-10 of your best GCSE's and give you points for every A/A* or B and then add those points to the rest of your applications points etc...
You have a decent set of GCSE's...getting all A*'s does not in any way guarantee a place for anyone!
I would say work hard from the BEGINNING for a-levels especially with the new format of exams,revise well for your UKCAT and involve yourself in some well rounded activities-definitely long term volunteer in any environment that require you to show empathy and compassion
If you have any other questions pm me :smile:
Yeah they deffo will be! I got 1 A*, 5 As and 3 Bs so I'm hoping to get into medicine in the future too😊 after my a levels of course. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to apply to the right places, but yes those grades are easily good enough for most schools.

Original post by numar9501
Most universities hold A* and A grades at GCSE under the same banner

I know of one that does that - can you provide a source for all the others please.
Original post by nexttime
You have to apply to the right places, but yes those grades are easily good enough for most schools.

I know of one that does that - can you provide a source for all the others please.

As far as i know both Liverpool and Lancaster do, St George has a 6 point difference between the 2 i.e i think an A is 52 points and an A* 56 and you need 500 and something + for interview

Quick Reply

Latest