The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

primary education course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Subat
Haven't started yet. Just ordered a couple of the books today, but not sure what exactly they want us to make notes on for the reading diary.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe themes/age range/subject links for each book?

Have you started on the tasks?

Hey,

I only just received the reading book list as well, wasn't clear either on what they want us to write about either, but maybe just do a spider diagram for each one you read pointing out the main categories within each book or something?
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by hdismorr
Hey,

I only just received the reading book list as well, wasn't clear either on what they want us to write about either, but maybe just do a spider diagram for each one you read pointing out the main categories within each book or something?

Hi,

Yea I agree a spider diagram brainstorming main themes and ideas should be fine. I was just reading through the info again and it says the diary will be shared with other students and 'peer assessed' so it's not going to be formally looked at or assessed. Which means we can structure it however we want to really.

I've decided to use a separate A4 page for each book I read and list (1) themes (2) subject links (3) teaching ideas and leave it at that. That way I can just add pages throughout the course if I actually use any of the books in class/at uni.

Some of the books on the reading list seem a bit weird to me though, especially the adventures of the dish and the spoon.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Ahh completely agree with the dish and the spoon book- looked at it online and its so bizarre- even reviews from parents saying that they would not choose to read it to their children!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Had my offer confirmed this morning! So happy! :smile: Did anyone else get confirmed this morning?
im living at home the first year : ( only live half an hour away from campus so didnt think it was worth the amount for halls! You should have got your accommodation emails etc through though ( sorry i know ive replied really late ive been working loads!)

Hello! I am doing primary ed this September and living at home too, thought I was the only one who would be going in on the 15th having not met anyone like flatmates!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pippa19
Had my offer confirmed this morning! So happy! :smile: Did anyone else get confirmed this morning?

Mine was confirmed then also :smile: gotta get a health check though, haven't figured out exactly what that is yet either...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh completely agree with the dish and the spoon book- looked at it online and its so bizarre- even reviews from parents saying that they would not choose to read it to their children!!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, hows the preparation going? Have you heard anything from the uni in terms of university timetables, enrollment etc? I haven't had any contact regarding this and am a bit nervous. Especially as we start our two week placement next week and then it uni based training.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Subat
Hi, hows the preparation going? Have you heard anything from the uni in terms of university timetables, enrollment etc? I haven't had any contact regarding this and am a bit nervous. Especially as we start our two week placement next week and then it uni based training.

Hey,

Yeah I got an email through about virtual enrollment for Brookes Uni but It was so confusing- that was about 2 weeks ago.

Maybe go onto the Uni website and look at the 'new students' tab. I just checked on the Oxford Brookes one and although they didnt have the university course timetable up yet, they did have all the induction week info on there....maybe give it a go and If there still isnt any info then email the uni help team?

x :smile:
Hey,

Yeah I got an email through about virtual enrollment for Brookes Uni but It was so confusing- that was about 2 weeks ago.

Maybe go onto the Uni website and look at the 'new students' tab. I just checked on the Oxford Brookes one and although they didnt have the university course timetable up yet, they did have all the induction week info on there....maybe give it a go and If there still isnt any info then email the uni help team?

x :smile:

Thanks. I'll email them, I thought it was a bit weird they hadn't given any info on enrollment. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by nicolap88
Hello! I am doing primary ed this September and living at home too, thought I was the only one who would be going in on the 15th having not met anyone like flatmates!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh so glad I am not the only one living at home!!! how far away are you living from oxford?
Reply 50
Original post by Subat
Thanks. I'll email them, I thought it was a bit weird they hadn't given any info on enrollment. :smile:

also...preparation is going ok-ish! crazy how much some books sell second hand for on amazon jeez!

Went to oxfam and bought a load of children's books, however i should have just sat in waterstones and read them for free rather than spending a massive £5 on them hehe x
also...preparation is going ok-ish! crazy how much some books sell second hand for on amazon jeez!

Went to oxfam and bought a load of children's books, however i should have just sat in waterstones and read them for free rather than spending a massive £5 on them hehe x

I know what you mean! The reading list they gave us is so lengthy! I just bought the text books they set us work from. For the fiction diary I only bought two books from the list, other than that I used books I already had, and bought a couple of cheap books for my kindle. I've read about three so far, need to get cracking before the uni part of the course starts.

I'm living at home too! I'm going to be traveling by bus (an hours journey).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Subat
I know what you mean! The reading list they gave us is so lengthy! I just bought the text books they set us work from. For the fiction diary I only bought two books from the list, other than that I used books I already had, and bought a couple of cheap books for my kindle. I've read about three so far, need to get cracking before the uni part of the course starts.

I'm living at home too! I'm going to be traveling by bus (an hours journey).

Thats cool, where abouts are you living atm?

Yeah even my friend who is at the Oxford Uni was a bit shocked about how long our reading list is. I bought 'Private Peaceful' and read it as I knew we had to buy it but also used it as the 'fiction' part of the reading list. Have been in the kids section of sainsburies reading ' A tiger who came for tea' today- must have looked very out of place!!
I live in Wycombe. I didn't realise 'Private Peaceful' was on the reading list. I've read Voices in the Park, Peace at Last, The Magic Finger, and am making may way through Mr Stink at the moment, lol it's actually good fun. I'm probably going to head to the library soon and just read some kids books there. I don't really want to spend too much money on books until we've actually started the course and know exactly what we need.

Thats cool, where abouts are you living atm?

Yeah even my friend who is at the Oxford Uni was a bit shocked about how long our reading list is. I bought 'Private Peaceful' and read it as I knew we had to buy it but also used it as the 'fiction' part of the reading list. Have been in the kids section of sainsburies reading ' A tiger who came for tea' today- must have looked very out of place!!
Reply 54
Original post by Subat
I live in Wycombe. I didn't realise 'Private Peaceful' was on the reading list. I've read Voices in the Park, Peace at Last, The Magic Finger, and am making may way through Mr Stink at the moment, lol it's actually good fun. I'm probably going to head to the library soon and just read some kids books there. I don't really want to spend too much money on books until we've actually started the course and know exactly what we need.

Yeah its under the module 'Exploring Learning'. You dont need to have read it yet- just have bought it by the time we start the course.

Yeah Im about to start matilda- it shall bring back some good childhood memories!

Yeah I know Wycombe- my friend lives in Marlow ( i think thats close isnt it?) I live in the outskirts of reading but 5 mins from the M4 which is v handy!
Yeah its under the module 'Exploring Learning'. You dont need to have read it yet- just have bought it by the time we start the course.

Yeah Im about to start matilda- it shall bring back some good childhood memories!

Yeah I know Wycombe- my friend lives in Marlow ( i think thats close isnt it?) I live in the outskirts of reading but 5 mins from the M4 which is v handy!

Oh, good to know :smile:

I'm jealous haha,I loved Matilda as a child don't own it though :frown: I'm about to start re-reading Charlotte's Web which should be fun.

Yea Marlow is very nearby. Will it take you long to commute then?
Reply 56
Ummm I think 40 mins on a good day. I have such a bad sleeping habit, waking up at 7 am is going to be a killer for me!! I'm sure if or when I meet you we can share lifts etc!
Ahh so glad I am not the only one living at home!!! how far away are you living from oxford?

Only about a 20-30 minute drive really depending in traffic :smile: you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
45 mins according to sat nav but staying in Oxford now and again at friends houses to save petrol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ummm I think 40 mins on a good day. I have such a bad sleeping habit, waking up at 7 am is going to be a killer for me!! I'm sure if or when I meet you we can share lifts etc!

Ye the early mornings and long days are going to be tough! Yes that's a good idea! Had a look at the timetable last week, I am so glad we have short days on Wednesday and Friday. I'm really anxious to know where our placements are going to be, have my fingers crossed for somewhere near home. I've done one week of the HASE placement, will have to do the second week in December as the school I'm at just started on Monday. Do you know if we have to get some sort of confirmation/evidence showing we have completed the placement. I thought there would be a form to get signed by the school, but nothing was included in the placement info they sent us.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending