The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do omg!

Yeah, abit of a fuzzy title but, I just left secondary school at the age of 16 and I don't know what to do. Well, these are my results, im thinking of doing I.t Or mechanics.
Hey sup, just come back with gcse results! I got:
Business: C
I.T: Merit or i think Pass ill check later lol
Construction : Merit
English language: C
English Lit: D
Mathematics: D :frown:
Hmm what should i go for mechanics or I.T
I'm mostly on computers and play games etc... so idk what to do
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
retake maths and english at GCSE level!

don't make the mistake I have made being age 27 and having to go back to college to retake my maths and english gcse. whilst re taking those subjects, study something which you actually have a passion for or would want to do for living. Never study something you are unsure of you will just waste precious years.
Reply 2
You won't get far in IT without mathematics so you had better resit it.
Reply 3
You need A in maths and english to get anywhere decent paying in the end. If you can make it into A levels do so and retake GCSE's privately whilst doing it.
Reply 4
Original post by iAmanze
You need A in maths and english to get anywhere decent paying in the end. If you can make it into A levels do so and retake GCSE's privately whilst doing it.

Not true. Very few firms will explicitly ask for A grades in GCSEs. For a career that's potentially maths heavy, maybe. But in reality, you're more likely to be expected to achieve B/C to get past application hurdles.

Many jobs don't even specify GCSE grades as a requirement - A Level grades are far more important.

So OP, it's definitely worth retaking - but just try your hardest. If you manage to get a B, you'll have done yourself very proud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Pipsico
Not true. Very few firms will explicitly ask for A grades in GCSEs. For a career that's potentially maths heavy, maybe. But in reality, you're more likely to be expected to achieve B/C to get past application hurdles.

Many jobs don't even specify GCSE grades as a requirement - A Level grades are far more important.

So OP, it's definitely worth retaking - but just try your hardest. If you manage to get a B, you'll have done yourself very proud.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are mad. I'm talking about getting into university. If he pulls it back in A level and gets like AAA or anything decent like that, the GCSE results will have a very negative effect on the positive outcome... after uni you get a job so in effect not retaking will have an effect on the job, taking everything into consideration.
Reply 6
Original post by iAmanze
You are mad. I'm talking about getting into university. If he pulls it back in A level and gets like AAA or anything decent like that, the GCSE results will have a very negative effect on the positive outcome... after uni you get a job so in effect not retaking will have an effect on the job, taking everything into consideration.

No, what you are doing is projecting your own aims and ambitions onto that of OP.

OP has been getting Ds in maths and English. So, with that in mind, Bs/Cs are perfectly acceptable and realistic.
Assuming OP gets reasonably good A Level results, the difference between getting an B/C in maths with an A in maths is not huge in terms of opportunities opened.

OP is clearly not wanting to go into medicine or IB, and hasn't even suggested retaking GCSEs yet, so for you to swoop in and suggest they retake to get As and AAA at A level is just a set up for disappointment.

Getting a B/C in English/maths should open up the majority of doors in OPs preferred area.

Many graduate employers will not give two hoots whether you got an A at GCSE.

Fair enough about your point around going to a top uni. Of course, OP should try their hardest and obviously the better you do in anything, the more doors you open.

But really now, a good Uni offering an IT course is not likely to request you get an A in English and maths if you have made the cut with A levels. And an employer definitely wouldn't.

OP doesn't need to have Oxbridge ambitions to get to have a decent career in life. He just needs to try his hardest, make the most of the opportunities that come by and measure his improvement against himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by giella
You won't get far in IT without mathematics so you had better resit it.

Come again? Why?

Original post by iAmanze

Simply not true, although it's obviously a requirement in some situations.
Reply 8
Maths is generally considered essential for anything involving programming and most IT employers and courses do expect a C grade or above.
Reply 9
Hmm, but i don't intend on going to uni. Maybe for I.T I would. Well I had an interview with a college on a course called:s-smilie:oftware, web and game developement which required a C in English and Maths. However, i got the C in English but not in Maths. I had the interview at the start of year 11, but I failed because I had a D in maths and English then. but, now i have a D in maths and a C in english. I'm sure it would be too late for apply now. I was thinking of doing a apprenticeship in mechanics I think its called vehicle technician. but i dont know the requirements on that.
Well my brother is going to do vehicle, maintenance and repair apprentice and i will maybe do vehicle technician.
Original post by Ineedhelpman
Hmm, but i don't intend on going to uni. Maybe for I.T I would. Well I had an interview with a college on a course called:s-smilie:oftware, web and game developement which required a C in English and Maths. However, i got the C in English but not in Maths. I had the interview at the start of year 11, but I failed because I had a D in maths and English then. but, now i have a D in maths and a C in english. I'm sure it would be too late for apply now. I was thinking of doing a apprenticeship in mechanics I think its called vehicle technician. but i dont know the requirements on that.
Well my brother is going to do vehicle, maintenance and repair apprentice and i will maybe do vehicle technician.

The majority of apprenticeships will require maths and English grade C, so you need to resit your maths.
Original post by Shelly_x
The majority of apprenticeships will require maths and English grade C, so you need to resit your maths.

In apprenticeships they do like monday,tuesday,wednessday,thursday practical and on friday they do college work like learning. Maybe they wud put me on thursday for maths?

my brother will be doing software engineer now lol and he has D's lol
Original post by Ineedhelpman
In apprenticeships they do like monday,tuesday,wednessday,thursday practical and on friday they do college work like learning. Maybe they wud put me on thursday for maths?

my brother will be doing software engineer now lol and he has D's lol

Look at the apprenticeship website and see what the requirements are for apprenticeships you want to do. I know many engineering ones require C's, although not all of them do.
Not sure if they would put you in to resit maths, but it could be something you ask them about before applying/when enquiring.
Ask your local college for advice on apprenticeships and tell them your keen to resist maths. They usually let you do this. Apprenticeship s start anytime in the year.
Yh i'm not doing mechanics anymore due to vehicle technician is only for Volvo or something. So, I will be doing I.T apprenticeship. but i'm not too sure on which one to do. I applied for a college course which was called, software, web and game developement. But that was when i was nearly finishing year 10. So i didn't have good grades then.
However, I know college is starting in 2 days, but, i think it will be too late

Quick Reply

Latest