The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I didn't get very high UMS for my AS results, only about 86 average (over my 3 most relevant):frown:. Do you think it would be likely for me to be called to an interview for medicine if I do well in the BMAT? (I did 5 AS-levels, in case this changes anything?)
Thank you for your time.
Hi there

I'm planning to apply Cambridge as a maths major.

My IGCSE results are 4A* 5A 1C

I'm afraid my C will bring down my chance and the number of A* I have is simply not suitable for cambridge.

Does Cambridge concentrate on IGCSE than AS UMS for an applicant who is willing to study maths?

Because I heard the Tripos(?) have shown that IGCSE is a better indicator for maths major unlike other majors.

Here are my AS UMS

C1: 100
C2: 100
M1: 100 So, AS Maths: 300/300 = 100%
S1: 97
M2: 92
FP1: 89 AS Further Maths: 278/300 = 92.67%

Physics: 278/300 = 92.67%
Chemistry: 268/300 = 89.33%

I do know Cambridge will focus on my top3 results which are M/FM/Physics but would my Chemistry still be checked and lower my chance?

Sorry for asking too many questions. Thanks in advance
Original post by Harshil1
Considering that I am applying for an Economics Course, will my application be considered even if I am a CBSE applicant though I meet all the requirements of a 9.8 CGPA in Class 10?

Furthermore, I have also given an AP in Microeconomics last year and secured a 5. I also plan to give more next year. Will this add to my application?

Thanks,
Harshil

Hello Harshil,

yes CBSE is acceptable for Economics providing you reach the required level. We will certainly take into account APs and we usually ask for five 5s if candidates are presenting mainly with these. We might in your case ask for a combination of APs and CBSE. I hope this is helpful.
Original post by Fttohi
Thank you for your reply. If I hadn't done AS Mathematics, would my application been looked at better (even slightly)? (keeping in mind, an A in IGCSE Math and my aforementioned predicted grades for IB)

I'm not really sure, an A in IGCSE Maths, even a year early, is not a particulalrly good sign for someone wanting to do Maths at Cambridge. You have to declare the AS Level anyway in the SAQ even if it is not certificated and, if it is certificated, on the UCAS form. Not to do so would be a serious error and could lead to your application being automatically rejected. The IB predictions are strong so that is something in your favour.
Original post by stardust22
Thank you so much for your response, this definitely boosted my confidence. I really appreciate this thread you have made as it clears a lot of myths about Cambridge's admission process.

You are very welcome, I am glad it has helped. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by imcurious
Hi there

I'm afraid my C will bring down my chance and the number of A* I have is simply not suitable for cambridge.

Does Cambridge concentrate on IGCSE than AS UMS for an applicant who is willing to study maths?

Because I heard the Tripos(?) have shown that IGCSE is a better indicator for maths major unlike other majors.

Here are my AS UMS

I do know Cambridge will focus on my top3 results which are M/FM/Physics but would my Chemistry still be checked and lower my chance?

It makes no difference. He said it makes little difference i recall and that was to me asking because i got AAAD d in chemistry. I doubt that 89% makes a difference. Id be more worried on 89 and 92 in fp1 m2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by faisalalz
Totally agree with you and honestly it is sometimes hard to not think of matter such as this as it can really decrease concentration. As far as I know grades comes above all and even if some don't get in at least you will be satisfied with what you have achieved and will have nothing to regret.

I believe that many people here, including me, starts to worry about their chances especially after knowing how much competition to expect, but in the same time, I also believe that the main reason for this thread is to clarify matters and not complicate them even more.

I would like to use this opportunity to thank you for all your sincere support to all of us.

Thank you, it's been great to talk with so many people who are interested in Cambridge.
Original post by buxtonarmy
What is the auto pooling for medicine? Or is there no such pool for it?

As has been pointed out by others, there is no compulsory pooling for Medicine, pooling is done purely at the discretion of colleges. There is an active pool in Medicine and a lot of candidates are made offers from it. It is important for students to realise that there is only one pool for each subject, not an 'auto pool' and another pool. This is why we try to avoid using the term auto pooling because it gives the wrong impression.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Thank you, it's been great to talk with so many people who are interested in Cambridge.

Is Chemistry included in engineering SUMS. (Along with Maths+FM and Physics)
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello Harshil,

yes CBSE is acceptable for Economics providing you reach the required level. We will certainly take into account APs and we usually ask for five 5s if candidates are presenting mainly with these. We might in your case ask for a combination of APs and CBSE. I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible for you to inform me as to what were the conditions placed on Indian offer holders over the past few years?

Secondly, since there are no interviews in India, I am willing to come to Cambridge for the same. Are there any tentative dates since transport needs to be booked in advance?

Thanks,
Harshil
Original post by colourtheory
Apologies, Christ Church was a slip of the keyboard :biggrin: Thanks for your help.

That's ok, I'll forgive you! :wink: You are welcome, glad it was helpful.
Original post by TheEpiphany
Does compulsory pooling occur at every college in Cambridge, or is just Christ's ?

Every college, it is an agreed university admissions procedure.
Original post by xKKT
How would one go about achieving 7/10 or above in the interview? Is it about confidence? Or just about how quick the people answer the questions?

There is no one way of doing well in an interview. One thing it certainly isn't about, however, is confidence. We aren't looking for confident students but good students and they are often those who recognise that there is more than one side to an argument or more than one way to solve a problem.

We are looking, especially in the Sciences, to see if students will cope with the pace of the Cambridge course but this doesn't necessarily mean students have to answer questions very quickly. We would rather students took a llittle time to think through their answers out loud rather than rushing at questions trying to answer them before they have had a chance to think.

A good interview will often involve plenty of pauses while the candidate thinks, it may involve the candidate asking us quesitons, to clarify what we mean or challenege what we say and it involve the candidate answering the questions we have actualy asked rather than the ones they would have liked us to ask. Examples rather than generalities are also very helpful, especially in a Humanities interview.
Original post by profman
(Original post by profman)
In terms of the 'Rank Group' column how is the 'Merit Score' worked out for econ applicants? is it UMS alone or UMS+GCSE? Will AS (pre A2) and post A2 candidates be within the same 'Rank Group' ? Thank you

Thanks for this. So does that mean GCSEs aren't taken into account?

Not at all, GCSEs are certainly taken into account, they just don't form part of the calculations we use to create the ranking in the spreadsheet. I cannot emphasise enough that all parts of an application will be taken into account and for different candidates different aspects may end up being more important than others. The spreadsheet and its ranking is nothing more than a helpful guide, it does not tell us who can and cannot get offers.
Original post by fluteflute
*cough* Just a quick point of information :wink:

Oxford won both the men's and women's boat races in both 2013 and 2014...

The cricket was a draw in 2014 but Oxford won in 2013. (And it seems the Oxford women won both years.)

Oh and Oxford have won the Rugby for the last four years....

Mere details... :smile:
Original post by SciEncyclopedia
Hello, I didn't get very high UMS for my AS results, only about 86 average (over my 3 most relevant):frown:. Do you think it would be likely for me to be called to an interview for medicine if I do well in the BMAT? (I did 5 AS-levels, in case this changes anything?)
Thank you for your time.

Without seeing the rest of your application and its context it is impossible to say for certain but an 86% average across your three most relevant Sciences is not going to put you in a strong position on paper for Medicine I am afraid. A strong score in the BMAT would help, of course, but there is still a fairly good chance that you won;t get an interview I am afriad such is the strength of the competition in this subject.
Original post by imcurious
Hi there

Here are my AS UMS

You are in a perfectly decent position to apply. Your IGCSEs are not fantastic but are decent eniugh and you have strong UMS in Maths and in Physics. Further Maths and Maths are combined into one Maths average so your most relevant three will be (Maths & FM), Physics and Chemistry. What will matter in terms of getting an offer for Maths, however, is how good your Maths is. The most reliable indicator for Maths in STEP and if they think you have a chance of achieving the required level in STEP of 1,1 in STEP II & III then you will be in a good position to get an offer.
Original post by Red Fox
Is Chemistry included in engineering SUMS. (Along with Maths+FM and Physics)

Yes, if you have Chemistry then it will be included in the SUMS.
Original post by Harshil1
Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible for you to inform me as to what were the conditions placed on Indian offer holders over the past few years?

Secondly, since there are no interviews in India, I am willing to come to Cambridge for the same. Are there any tentative dates since transport needs to be booked in advance?

Thanks,
Harshil

The Indians to whom we have made offers in recent years have had either A Levels, IB or APs. A Level candidates get the standard A*AA offer and, from 2015 entry, Scientists will get A*A*A; IB candidate 40-42 points with 776 at Higher Level, for APs we usually ask for five 5s.

We don't have definite dates fixed for Economics yet but they will be either in the week beginning Monday 8 December or on Monday 15 to Wednesday 17 December. I hope this is helpful.
Do you happen to know the average BMAT score in each section of successful 2014 medicine applicants? Sorry if this has been asked before. Also, do you weight each section equally when considering the application or put more weighting on the first two sections? Thanks for this post!

Latest

Trending

Trending