The Student Room Group

Android OS Discussion v2.0

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simpletech668
Still not sold on the whole QHD screen thing, but the rest of the specs look insane. Let's just hope the price isn't!

The main reason the next nexus will be QHD is for developers. Google knows that at least Samsung and obviously LG will keep pushing QHD phones, and so wants to make sure that apps are optimised for QHD screens.
Original post by Scratchyjam
The main reason the next nexus will be QHD is for developers. Google knows that at least Samsung and obviously LG will keep pushing QHD phones, and so wants to make sure that apps are optimised for QHD screens.

True, but there's really no point if the batteries aren't big/good enough to push 500+ppi, especially when playing graphically intensive games.

Also, opinions on the LG G2, was going to ask this earlier because vodafone had a deal this weekend where they were selling it for £175 payg! But in the end I decided to wait it out, it is still £300+ on Amazon for some reason?!

I think I will wait till the Moto X+1 and iPhone 6 comes out! But yea opinions appreciated if you've played around with it/got it etc.
True, but there's really no point if the batteries aren't big/good enough to push 500+ppi, especially when playing graphically intensive games.

Also, opinions on the LG G2, was going to ask this earlier because vodafone had a deal this weekend where they were selling it for £175 payg! But in the end I decided to wait it out, it is still £300+ on Amazon for some reason?!

I think I will wait till the Moto X+1 and iPhone 6 comes out! But yea opinions appreciated if you've played around with it/got it etc.

It's doesn't suck that much battery, though. Nothing the SD 801 can't offset, anyway.

£175 for a G2 is an absolute steal. But you might as well wait till IFA and both Moto's and Apple's conferences are over before biting.

I'm looking forward to the X+1, although it looks ugly as sin. I'm really hoping it has a few cool new software features like the original X had, it gets European release straight away and that the price is reasonable. I know the camera is gonna be awful as per, but i'm betting battery life will be good especially if the rumours of it having an SD 801 are true.

I think I might get the Z3/Z3c. iPhone's are too thick for my blood plus I prefer android.
Brazilian retailer has just (allegedly) leaked prices for the new X and G. When you factor in Brazil's heavy import taxes it works out to be approximately $450, which is very tempting. G works out to be like $250 but it'll most likely be lower than that.

Also, supposedly called X2 not X+1 :biggrin:
It's doesn't suck that much battery, though. Nothing the SD 801 can't offset, anyway.

£175 for a G2 is an absolute steal. But you might as well wait till IFA and both Moto's and Apple's conferences are over before biting.

I'm looking forward to the X+1, although it looks ugly as sin. I'm really hoping it has a few cool new software features like the original X had, it gets European release straight away and that the price is reasonable. I know the camera is gonna be awful as per, but i'm betting battery life will be good especially if the rumours of it having an SD 801 are true.

I think I might get the Z3/Z3c. iPhone's are too thick for my blood plus I prefer android.

Yea I don't like the design but I do like the quick updates from Motorola, hoepfully they'll keep this up even after this Lenovo aquisition. And yes, hopefully the battery is good and be true all day battery! Camera is not something I care about too much as long as it is better than my HTC Desire!

Sony UX and TouchWiz are two of my most disliked User Interfaces on Android, Sony UX is too bland and the colours they use look so dull and I hate the icons. I know I can change that but I also hate the look of the onscreen buttons (I know it seems a bit weird but it is just annoying) And I just don't like it. TouchWiz is self explanatory.

I like iOS purely because the apps are so well designed to run on the hardware and they are just more polish, something that the majority of android apps have been lacking for a long time, hopefully this will change soon but we'll see!

I'll just wait, haven't got the funds anyway to buy it now so I have to wait anyway!
Yea I don't like the design but I do like the quick updates from Motorola, hoepfully they'll keep this up even after this Lenovo aquisition. And yes, hopefully the battery is good and be true all day battery! Camera is not something I care about too much as long as it is better than my HTC Desire!

Sony UX and TouchWiz are two of my most disliked User Interfaces on Android, Sony UX is too bland and the colours they use look so dull and I hate the icons. I know I can change that but I also hate the look of the onscreen buttons (I know it seems a bit weird but it is just annoying) And I just don't like it. TouchWiz is self explanatory.

I like iOS purely because the apps are so well designed to run on the hardware and they are just more polish, something that the majority of android apps have been lacking for a long time, hopefully this will change soon but we'll see!

I'll just wait, haven't got the funds anyway to buy it now so I have to wait anyway!

Me too lad, me too. Pretty sure Lenovo have already said they're gonna let them run as they have been under Google and they have a good track record with IBM so fingers crossed.

I'm not too bothered by Sony UX tbh. Yes, the bloatware is a pain, but looks-wise I think it looks tolerable. Much prefer stock android, just a shame I broke my N5 :/

Yeah valid points, it is a great OS. I'm just not a fan - I just find it really, really boring. I'm glad they're bumping the screen size, now android OEMs (specifically, Samsung) will have to compete a lot, lot harder since a lot of people use Android phones due to the large screen size.
Me too lad, me too. Pretty sure Lenovo have already said they're gonna let them run as they have been under Google and they have a good track record with IBM so fingers crossed.

I'm not too bothered by Sony UX tbh. Yes, the bloatware is a pain, but looks-wise I think it looks tolerable. Much prefer stock android, just a shame I broke my N5 :/

Yeah valid points, it is a great OS. I'm just not a fan - I just find it really, really boring. I'm glad they're bumping the screen size, now android OEMs (specifically, Samsung) will have to compete a lot, lot harder since a lot of people use Android phones due to the large screen size.

Yes true, we'll just have to wait and see! I'm certainly looking forward to it!

How did you break your N5?! Yea the build is fine with Sony devices, it's just the UX, but then again, CM is our best friend!

Yes I do find it boring! I find Android a much more enjoyable OS to play around with compared to iOS. I'd probably end up jail breaking it, purely to play around and increase it's usefulness but I'm willing to look past it purely because of the apps. It's just the apps. The problem with getting an iOS device is that you have to invest in the whole ecosystem to unlock its full potential. The whole continuity thing they went on about at WWDC was great, but I don't really have £2000 to spend just to be able to work on the same document "seamlessly" on 3 different devices!

That would be really great if it didn't come at such a premium! It pains me, because it would so useful if and when I go to Uni, because I would love to just be paperless and have everything right there wherever I am. URGGGGHHH!
Finally got my One (M8), fantastic phone, love it to bits!
Yes true, we'll just have to wait and see! I'm certainly looking forward to it!

How did you break your N5?! Yea the build is fine with Sony devices, it's just the UX, but then again, CM is our best friend!

Yes I do find it boring! I find Android a much more enjoyable OS to play around with compared to iOS. I'd probably end up jail breaking it, purely to play around and increase it's usefulness but I'm willing to look past it purely because of the apps. It's just the apps. The problem with getting an iOS device is that you have to invest in the whole ecosystem to unlock its full potential. The whole continuity thing they went on about at WWDC was great, but I don't really have £2000 to spend just to be able to work on the same document "seamlessly" on 3 different devices!

That would be really great if it didn't come at such a premium! It pains me, because it would so useful if and when I go to Uni, because I would love to just be paperless and have everything right there wherever I am. URGGGGHHH!

Dropped it; screen cracked, replaced screen for £120, dropped it again :frown: It is a very fragile phone, I drop my Moto G all the time and it never breaks.

Yeah WWDC was big, they did well to be fair. Yeah man they're far too expensive for me and the bezels on iPhones are just sickening. Why don't you wait till the 5s/5c price drops?
Dropped it; screen cracked, replaced screen for £120, dropped it again :frown: It is a very fragile phone, I drop my Moto G all the time and it never breaks.

Yeah WWDC was big, they did well to be fair. Yeah man they're far too expensive for me and the bezels on iPhones are just sickening. Why don't you wait till the 5s/5c price drops?

Oh dear! I always drop my HTC Desire and it just never dies!! It's so frustrating! Yea my dad has a Moto G and he is super clumsy with his phones and its never broken! They're good phones for low-medium use/back up phone.

I was thinking of doing that depending on how much the price dropped and if the iPhone 6 brought some significant improvement. But I always want the latest and greatest even if i don't need it, so we'll see!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
m.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/new-leaks-reveal-the-moto-x-1-s-m-logo-button-and-secret-front-sensors-1263457

The large Moto logo on the back of the X+1 is apparently the power button! I think that's a bit better placement from the pictures than the LG offering but I'll have to get it in my hands before I make a proper judgement! Hopefully it won't take long to reach the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G8D
I think I've got a red spot on my Nexus 5 screen (can that happen)? It's possibly the screen protector causing it, I'll replace it soon to see.

Had a quick look and people are getting similar problems, along with different colour spots. Something to do with dead pixels and such. Is it still under warranty?

Posted from TSR Mobile
m.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/new-leaks-reveal-the-moto-x-1-s-m-logo-button-and-secret-front-sensors-1263457

The large Moto logo on the back of the X+1 is apparently the power button! I think that's a bit better placement from the pictures than the LG offering but I'll have to get it in my hands before I make a proper judgement! Hopefully it won't take long to reach the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a TK Tech News source, it mostly likely absolute bolloks.

http://i.imgur.com/7bbdJKV.jpg
Original post by G8D
I don't think it's a dead pixel. It's only visible when the screen is on but black and it's more like a small 'smudge' of red.

I'd imagine all Nexus 5s are still under warranty.

Oh maybe call them up or something and give them some photo evidence to back it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was starting to find fewer and fewer uses for my Nexus 7 since I bought a decent desktop PC. It got to the point where I nearly sold it.

However, now I have a car with an Aux port on it! Nexy is now my in car Sat Nav and entertainment system. Boom!

Original post by G8D
Newest iPhone leak shows that Apple is actually releasing the HTC One M9.

:lol:
Reply 3075
Oh dear! I always drop my HTC Desire and it just never dies!! It's so frustrating! Yea my dad has a Moto G and he is super clumsy with his phones and its never broken! They're good phones for low-medium use/back up phone.

I was thinking of doing that depending on how much the price dropped and if the iPhone 6 brought some significant improvement. But I always want the latest and greatest even if i don't need it, so we'll see!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know when's iphone6's coming out?
Original post by oky
Do you know when's iphone6's coming out?

Press invites have gone out for an event probably for the iPhone 6 for September 9th, public release will most probably be that week or early the week after.
Reply 3077
Press invites have gone out for an event probably for the iPhone 6 for September 9th, public release will most probably be that week or early the week after.

Oh ok just sold my iPhone 5s two days ago. Now probably have no phone for 2 wks. How much do you think it'll be?
Original post by oky
Oh ok just sold my iPhone 5s two days ago. Now probably have no phone for 2 wks. How much do you think it'll be?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit costlier off contract. Contracts will most probably be the same.

Are you planning to buy on contract or not?
Reply 3079
Wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit costlier off contract. Contracts will most probably be the same.

Are you planning to buy on contract or not?

No just the phone up front

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending