The Student Room Group

NUS Votes To Boycott Israel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tengentoppa
Isis are killing hundreds of non-Muslims.

So what ???
Did i say anything to suggest otherwise
The NUS solely exists for students to get retail discounts, that is all.
Original post by Huskaris
The NUS solely exists for students to get retail discounts, that is all.

And to bitch and moan about drinking culture.
How utterly pathetic. Glad that my SU is unaffiliated with the NUS.
I'm sure Israeli students at NUS-affiliated universities will feel very included, welcome and represented by an organisation which is supposed to stand up for them.

Oh sorry I forgot. The point of the NUS is pointless political posturing.
Hardly surprising.
What a farcical decision by the NUS. Not only is it ignorant but it also only inflames what is a complex conflict. Just think to yourself what you'd do if you were Israel and there was a militant terrorist group firing at you and calling for the death of all Jews. Do you just expect Israel to accept this? In an ideal world, Israel would be able to just wipe out the Hamas militants, but it's not that easy when there's no official army and they hide behind civilians. What Israel is doing is not a good solution, but it's the best they have. There's very limited if any purposeful murder of civilians without reason. Which is less than can be said by Hamas. This decision by the NUS shows them saying loly one side is clearly at fault which shows a lack of understanding of the issue. If the NUS does want to take the moral high ground, why not sanction every Arab country which operates terror regimes? I think we all know the answer.
Original post by Snagprophet

I commend Israel on their efficiency.

As do I. The only genocide recorded in history where the population number is increasing all the time

Perhaps muslims have got it wrong with their genocide in places like Iraq and Syria as they seem to be actually reducing the numbers of people from minorities :rolleyes:
How do the NUS plan to boycott Israel? Have the NUS ever traded with Israel?
Original post by JuliusDS92
How do the NUS plan to boycott Israel? Have the NUS ever traded with Israel?

NUS would have to check which stock and or services they buy come from Israel or financially support Israel and buy from an alternative seller.

Step 2 is for the student unions to pressure the universities into terminating contracts with the companies complicit in Israel's terrorism. And to cancel any endowments with those companies too.
Original post by Person1001
NUS would have to check which stock and or services they buy come from Israel or financially support Israel and buy from an alternative seller.

Step 2 is for the student unions to pressure the universities into terminating contracts with the companies complicit in Israel's terrorism. And to cancel any endowments with those companies too.

Step 2 sounds very simple since no such company exists.
Original post by UniOfLife
Step 2 sounds very simple since no such company exists.

Hi again. Yup they do. I know for a fact that Imperial uses services from Veoilia.
Hi again. Yup they do. I know for a fact that Imperial uses services from Veoilia.

But how can they be complicit in Israel's terrorism if no such terrorism exists?

Here's the Oxford English Dictionary definition of "terrorism":

The unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims

How are you defining terrorism?
QUOTE=UniOfLife;50042655]Step 2 sounds very simple since no such company exists.

Also I have it on a trustworthy authority that some universities use G4S.
But how can they be complicit in Israel's terrorism if no such terrorism exists?

Here's the Oxford English Dictionary definition of "terrorism":

How are you defining terrorism?

Terrorism doesn't have a strictly agreed upon definition however that definition works fine minus the need for the act to be authorised and of course the act to be considered grossly immoral.
Terrorism doesn't have a strictly agreed upon definition however that definition works fine minus the need for the act to be authorised and of course the act to be considered grossly immoral.

How can you boycott a company complicit in something undefined?
How can you boycott a company complicit in something undefined?

Nope. Who said it's undefined.
Nope. Who said it's undefined.

Well, what's the definition then?
Israel can only be stopped by waking up and realise who rules the US and huge power and influence over Western countries. Boycott's are pointless which is why many Zionists support them as controlled opposition.They would never, ever impose sanctions on Israel but instead against countries like Iran who have done nothing wrong but want nuclear energy. Israel's a far bigger nuclear threat just look up the sampson option.Mind you I have no doubt Iran wants to build a nuke and I don't blame them given how much they're threatened.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, what's the definition then?

False dichotomy. Terrorism escapes a precise single definition because there are many attributes which fall into the term: most are agreed upon enough to sensibly adopt in our language and for others to understand how it is being used.

Often terrorism boils down to whether it is considered immoral or not which is subjective.

Thus those of with any humanity left acknowledge Israels acts of terrorism without needing to get out a pen and a checklist. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending