The Student Room Group

NUS Votes To Boycott Israel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tengentoppa
Oh no, the NUS. I'm sure Israel will be quaking in their boots. The UN and the US government may be unable to stop the Israelis, but the might of the NUS will suffice. :rolleyes:

And why are the NUS not boycotting China, Iraq and Syria? And I don't recall any uproar when thousands and thousands of civilians were killed in the Sri Lankan civil war. Selective righteousness.

NUS on their own obviously won't, but if enough people, groups, and organisations did boycott, then Israel would have little choice and would feel pressure which they don't with the US backing them.

NUS did have policy on Syria which condemned the government and resolved to support students and fight for special education funds for Syrian students (as is commonly done, Syria stopped funding some of their students for a while). A policy was proposed a few years back on Iraq but it didn't get debated because conference delegates put it low down the priority ballot and conference ran out of time before it got to that motion.

NUS does have human rights policies, but I don't think China is a good analogy here because with a war it's about putting extra support in place for those students affected by an escalated and often unexpected incident such as funds being withdrawn. China is continuously bad, the students don't necessarily need extra support out-of-the-blue, and I'm sure China know that they have virtually no support in the west, but they're big enough to do what they want.

Interestingly, 99% of the people that vote for NUS policies are delegates from students' unions (further and higher education). If you think NUS should be doing something differently, why not run to be an NUS delegate or lobby your elected delegates? Each students' union can submit their own policies to be debated and voted upon, so you could even write your own policy. The only reason NUS has a policy on Grade Point Average (currently being trialled in the UK) is because I wrote it, attended Conference to give a short (~2 min I think) speech on it, and it was voted through almost unanimously.
Original post by DarkWhite
Interestingly, 99% of the people that vote for NUS policies are delegates from students' unions (further and higher education). If you think NUS should be doing something differently, why not run to be an NUS delegate or lobby your elected delegates? Each students' union can submit their own policies to be debated and voted upon, so you could even write your own policy.

Unfortunately, that only works if your University is allowed to join the NUS. Some of us do not have this luxury as the NUS in their infinite wisdom do not let some universities join because of ridiculous policies.

How do I get these policies changed if I cannot join the NUS?
Original post by Person1001
False dichotomy. Terrorism escapes a precise single definition because there are many attributes which fall into the term: most are agreed upon enough to sensibly adopt in our language and for others to understand how it is being used.

Often terrorism boils down to whether it is considered immoral or not which is subjective.

Thus those of with any humanity left acknowledge Israels acts of terrorism without needing to get out a pen and a checklist. :biggrin:

So your position boils down to it being self-evident that Israel commits acts of terrorism despite not being able to define it. Tell me, is Ukraine committing acts of terrorism in its operations against separatists? Is the US committing terrorism when it launches air strikes against IS? What about the ones against Al Qaeda and the Taliban? Was is terrorism when Britain attacked Iraq or bombed Serbia?
Original post by UniOfLife
So your position boils down to it being self-evident that Israel commits acts of terrorism despite not being able to define it.

Same mistake. Refer back to my post, two posts before this one.

Tell me, is Ukraine committing acts of terrorism in its operations against separatists? Is the US committing terrorism when it launches air strikes against IS? What about the ones against Al Qaeda and the Taliban? Was is terrorism when Britain attacked Iraq or bombed Serbia?

:yawn:
I don't see any motivation to continue this conversation. However if you really are interested about the topic of terrorism I think the Wikipedia article is good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Same mistake. Refer back to my post, two posts before this one.

:yawn:
I don't see any motivation to continue this conversation. However if you really are interested about the topic of terrorism I think the Wikipedia article is good.

I will take that to mean that you don't have any way to explain why what Israel does should be considered terrorism but not what plenty of other countries do.
I will take that to mean that you don't have any way to explain why what Israel does should be considered terrorism but not what plenty of other countries do.

Them killing people for land innit.

You shouldn't need to cogitate on it much to figure out how that amounts to terrorism on the definition that I used before. If it still troubles you, I'm afraid I can't teach you the faculty of common sense.

Or as you like to put it: your views are so divorced from reality to engage in a conducive discussion.

You shouldn't need to cogitate on it much to figure out how that amounts to terrorism on the definition that I used before. If it still troubles you, I'm afraid I can't teach you the faculty of common sense.

Or as you like to put it: your views are so divorced from reality to engage in a conducive discussion.

Well, first up they're not killing people for land since the people they have been killing recently (Hamas) are in Gaza where Israel completely withdrew from in 2005. And secondly, isn't Ukraine killing people for land. Are they also committing acts of terrorism by doing that? And isn't the US attacking IS on behalf of Iraq for land? Is that terrorism too? You can answer "yes" to retain your consistency.
Original post by DiddyDec
Unfortunately, that only works if your University is allowed to join the NUS. Some of us do not have this luxury as the NUS in their infinite wisdom do not let some universities join because of ridiculous policies.

How do I get these policies changed if I cannot join the NUS?

What rules are these exactly?

Normally if a students' union isn't a member of NUS it's because they've chosen not to be, rather than NUS saying no (honestly, NUS take everyone; I don't think they've turned down a single SU in their history).
What rules are these exactly?

Normally if a students' union isn't a member of NUS it's because they've chosen not to be, rather than NUS saying no (honestly, NUS take everyone; I don't think they've turned down a single SU in their history).

Unfortunately the NUS don't let everyone join. It is their policy not to allow a University with an armory join. God knows why but that is ridiculous policy. Which cannot be changed unless you are part of the NUS.
Unfortunately the NUS don't let everyone join. It is their policy not to allow a University with an armory join. God knows why but that is ridiculous policy. Which cannot be changed unless you are part of the NUS.

Please link me to this particular rule.

I have never heard of it before. It sounds like *******s to me, not that I am blaming you individually.
Please link me to this particular rule.

I have never heard of it before. It sounds like *******s to me, not that I am blaming you individually.

I haven't got a link to it although I have tried finding it. I know it to be the case because I was an elected exec of my SU and we did try and join and they refused.
I haven't got a link to it although I have tried finding it. I know it to be the case because I was an elected exec of my SU and we did try and join and they refused.

I'd like to see a rule before believing it to be fair. I have never heard of it before and most of the Russell Group have military organising committees but are not refused membership of their students' unions.
I'd like to see a rule before believing it to be fair. I have never heard of it before and most of the Russell Group have military organising committees but are not refused membership of their students' unions.

Our armory is non military though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending