The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

When have people got their skills tests booked? I was about to book online, but then it said that I couldn't take the tests until I'd applied to UCAS or the results are invalid. Given that I don't know when it opens, I came out of the booking before finishing because I didn't want to risk booking the test at a time when the UCAS isn't open yet. But the longer I wait, the fewer dates will be available. Not sure what to do...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Veggiechic6
When have people got their skills tests booked? I was about to book online, for 8th November and 22nd November. But then it said that I couldn't take the tests until I'd applied to UCAS or the results are invalid. Given that I don't know when it opens, I came out of the booking before finishing because I didn't want to risk booking the test at a time when the UCAS isn't open yet. But the longer I wait, the fewer dates will be available. Not sure what to do...

I booked mine for the end of November, because I think the application process should be open before the end of November. As I am preparing my personal statement, references and experience now, I am hoping that it should not take me too long to fill out the application and send it off ASAP. Then, I can concentrate on revising for those pesky skills tests. This is what I am doing anyway- I have no idea if my plan will work! :smile:
It should be ok. I spoke to UCAS again. They still can't give me an exact date, they think the system will go live end of October/ start of November. They said I'd be ok with 8th and 22nd so I went ahead and booked. I'm pretty sure we can re-schedule if there's an issue.

I've still not started my personal statement, I'm not sure where to start! I imagine I will need to talk a lot about my UK school experience, and I haven't done it yet. I think I'll start writing it in October.
It should be ok. I spoke to UCAS again. They still can't give me an exact date, they think the system will go live end of October/ start of November. They said I'd be ok with 8th and 22nd so I went ahead and booked. I'm pretty sure we can re-schedule if there's an issue.

I've still not started my personal statement, I'm not sure where to start! I imagine I will need to talk a lot about my UK school experience, and I haven't done it yet. I think I'll start writing it in October.

Wow, okay. So not long then! Thank for you telling me that btw, very useful :smile: I will give you a link which has helped me in thinking about what to write; http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/application-form-assistant.aspx

I have used this as a guideline to help me. I think the basis of your statement will definitely be about your experience, and what you have learnt from it I guess. Just about what you can personally bring to the teaching profession.

Let me know how you get on :smile: I think it is nice to be talking to people who are in a similar situation. The application process/interviews/experience is such a stressful time! xx
Reply 144
Hello, I'm hoping to apply for PGCE primary next year. At the moment I am about to start my final year of my degree. I have relevant work experience and am currently waiting on a few other schools. I was just wondering whether other people are in the same position as me, finishing a degree and going straight on to do a PGCE, or are taking a year/s out? Thank-you :smile:
Original post by lula03
Hello, I'm hoping to apply for PGCE primary next year. At the moment I am about to start my final year of my degree. I have relevant work experience and am currently waiting on a few other schools. I was just wondering whether other people are in the same position as me, finishing a degree and going straight on to do a PGCE, or are taking a year/s out? Thank-you :smile:

I am going straight in. :smile: best way for me x
Reply 146
Original post by katie543
I am going straight in. :smile: best way for me x

Oh I'm glad someone else is too! xx
I graduated from my undergraduate degree years ago. Doing a PGCE wasn't even on my radar back then. After graduating, I started looking for jobs abroad, and they often only recruit once-yearly. English teaching was pretty much the only option and I didn't have to have any teaching qualifications so there was no need for further study. It's only through doing TEFL teaching that I've come to realise that teaching is the career for me, and now I need to get qualified.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lula03
Oh I'm glad someone else is too! xx

Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Reply 149
Original post by katie543
Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:

Well, I'm studying at Goldsmiths atm, so I'm applying there, Greenwich and London South Bank, as they are my closest options. Friends of mine who are/have done Primary BA & PGCE's have said placements can be up to 2 hours away from the uni you attend, not from where you live, so that's a word of warning!!

How about you? :smile: xx
I want to apply for Primary but have no experience at the moment, so don't know if theres enough time for me to get enough experience to apply this year so I'm thinking of applying next year! Currently in the process of writing a draft letter/email to send to schools and starting to volunteer at Beavers at the end of the month! I just bought a house though so really worried about funding, and leaving my full time job to go back into training... not sure how long this £4000+ training bursary the DOE are offering will still be around by the time I apply!
Original post by lula03
Well, I'm studying at Goldsmiths atm, so I'm applying there, Greenwich and London South Bank, as they are my closest options. Friends of mine who are/have done Primary BA & PGCE's have said placements can be up to 2 hours away from the uni you attend, not from where you live, so that's a word of warning!!

How about you? :smile: xx

Oh cool. I have a friend who has just graduated from Goldsmiths. She studied psychology. Oh right, that could be quite annoying!! I am thinking of applying to Reading and Hertfordshire I think :smile: xx
Am I right in thinking that student loans cover our tuition fees and that you can also apply for maintenance grants and loans?

Thank you :smile:

Also, so, I am gonna book my skills test end of November too! :wink: need to start revising. I have a couple of schools replying about work experience so that's a good sign! :biggrin::biggrin:
I graduated from my undergraduate degree in 2010. Doing a PGCE wasn't even on my radar back then. After graduating, I started looking for jobs abroad, and they often only recruit once-yearly. English teaching was pretty much the only option and I didn't have to have any teaching qualifications so there was no need for further study. It's only through doing TEFL teaching that I've come to realise that teaching is the career for me, and now I need to get qualified.

Good for you!! You should do what you really wanna do in life! What sort of teaching are you thinking of going into? :redface:
I've just booked my skills tests for the 14th and 27th of November :smile: can anyone recommend any books or resources that they are using?:smile:
When do you have to book the skills test for/by?
Also, where do you go to book it, and where are the tests done?
Original post by Louisemayx
Good for you!! You should do what you really wanna do in life! What sort of teaching are you thinking of going into? :redface:

Thanks! I'm going to do either early years or primary. How about you?

Mammamia, I'm currently revising for the numeracy test. I've been using a combination of BBC bitesize, a GCSE Letts revision guide and a book called How to Pass Numeracy Tests, which has been brill. I've also been using a website that fires times tables at me, and my Brain train game on my Nintendo DS. I'm hoping this will be enough :biggrin: I have my tests booked on similar days to you. Good luck to us both!

Speaking of the numeracy test, do we need to know algebra? I've yet to look at all that, I'm kinda hoping I won't have to...
Thanks! I'm going to do either early years or primary. How about you?

Mammamia, I'm currently revising for the numeracy test. I've been using a combination of BBC bitesize, a GCSE Letts revision guide and a book called How to Pass Numeracy Tests, which has been brill. I've also been using a website that fires times tables at me, and my Brain train game on my Nintendo DS. I'm hoping this will be enough :biggrin: I have my tests booked on similar days to you. Good luck to us both!

Speaking of the numeracy test, do we need to know algebra? I've yet to look at all that, I'm kinda hoping I won't have to...

Im doing primary years (5-11) :smile: I have been using bitesize as well! Thanks for all those suggestions, need to get the, pronto! If you fail three times you can't do them again for two years :s-smilie: so worth revising for!

Oh no!! I suck at algebra, so hoping we don't either haha!
Original post by Jo1986
Hi all. I'm also hoping to apply for PGCE starting 2015; my preference is Early Years and I'm looking in the South West area. Does anyone know how competitive these places are?

I don't have any recent classroom experience and I understand it should have taken place in the last 12 months? I am currently on maternity leave and my youngest is only 3 months old so would be difficult to leave her for two weeks. Does anyone know if I would be able to make up the days with mornings/afternoons or does it need to be a block of ten whole days?

Hi. I am in the South West (North Devon) and will be applying this year as was unsuccessful for 2014. I am not sure if this area is more competitive but there are certainly less options course wise I think. Where are you thinking of applying?

Ros
Reply 159
Original post by Ros1978
Hi. I am in the South West (North Devon) and will be applying this year as was unsuccessful for 2014. I am not sure if this area is more competitive but there are certainly less options course wise I think. Where are you thinking of applying?

Ros

hi Ros, I actually live in Barry in south Wales but Welsh universities require a B in maths GCSE and I have a C. im in a bit of a pockle about whether to resit (I think I could get a B, I just lacked focus at 16!) or whether to just apply to nearby English universities. I was thinking about Bristol and Bath Spa? my concern is my placement school could be an hour away from those places in the opposite direction so might be a bit far with a young family at home. where did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending