The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Homeless in Exeter?

Hello all,
I have just received an email from Exeter University telling me that it is extremely unlikely that I will be offered a room.

Asking for any advice or a helping hand.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sangexeter
Hello all,
I have just received an email from Exeter University telling me that it is extremely unlikely that I will be offered a room.

Thanks

Have you got a budget for a studio room?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
hi i'm the same and i've looked for all kinds of flats etc and it genuinely looks like there is absolutely nothing left /:
OK. First, don't panic.

Uber-list of purpose-built private-sector accommodation in Exeter

I've had a trawl through for you, and from what I can see this is what's left at the moment with the big private providers:

Ironbridge Studios (the same people run Printworks but it's not listed on their website at the moment - I would take that to mean it's fully booked, but it may be worth asking them).

Isca Lofts (only showing 'Apartment' availability which is expensive, though).

Studios at Mansion One.

A studio at Northfield (long contract).

Studios and the odd en-suite at Picturehouse Apartments.

Possibly the last couple of studios at Point Exe.

A studio at Dean Clarke Lofts (v expensive, though).

You could contact Artful Dodger and see if they have anything (their website doesn't actually say).

Houses, rooms in houses, lodging etc.

The Uni advertises properties via Studentpad, and there's some stuff listed at the moment. It has a messageboard where people with a room to spare in a shared house can advertise, so that's worth checking.

There's also some stuff listed on Accommodation for Students and it may also be worth looking on Gumtree (there's currently some stuff on there that seems like it would be suitable for students).

You can also try the various letting agents, especially if you can get a group together - be aware that some offer student accommodation and some don't; and that they will charge various fees for e.g. preparing a tenancy.

Good luck!
Ooh, and you could have a look at Campbell Properties - I can't believe they have all the stuff that's listed on their website, but it's worth asking what they do have...
Original post by Persipan
Ooh, and you could have a look at Campbell Properties - I can't believe they have all the stuff that's listed on their website, but it's worth asking what they do have...

Their website simply shows what properties they have, not what is available. I rang them earlier today and was told that they have no rooms at all available in Exeter still.

Essentially it's pretty bleak at the moment. Going into 3rd year personally and I've just been having to look for a room after my year in industry fell through at the last minute and it's not exactly easy to find anywhere. Unless you're happy to take a studio and pay £150 or more per week then there is virtually nowhere left unfortunately.
Original post by charlotterhi
hi i'm the same and i've looked for all kinds of flats etc and it genuinely looks like there is absolutely nothing left /:

Original post by sangexeter
Hello all,

Thanks

Just quoting you both so you see this.

One place that is definitely worth ringing ASAP is McKinley White. Speaking to them today they have about 3 or 4 rooms left throughout their various student houses in Exeter.

As of 5pm today they also had 1 or 2 rooms left in the Artful Dodger House, which is essentially a small block of flats housing around 35 students near to St. Davids Station.

The estate agents are here.

The flats near St. Davids can be seen on this website.
Original post by mackemforever
Going into 3rd year personally and I've just been having to look for a room after my year in industry fell through at the last minute and it's not exactly easy to find anywhere.

If you're a returner you could see if there's any Residence Life spots left (you would probably need to ask very soon, though; it says they have 'a very small number') - wouldn't be any good for freshers, though, because they wouldn't meet the criteria.
Original post by Persipan
If you're a returner you could see if there's any Residence Life spots left (you would probably need to ask very soon, though; it says they have 'a very small number') - wouldn't be any good for freshers, though, because they wouldn't meet the criteria.

I actually sorted myself out a room today. I had already looked at the option you suggested but I did a similar thing at my last University and I would rather remove my testicles with a rusty scythe than do it again!
Reply 9
Thank you for the answers.
Still not able to find a place to stay. Any more ideas?
There are a bunch of rooms listed on Gumtree in Exter, depending on your budget.
Reply 11
I'm unfortunately having to drop out of my student house this year and am looking for someone to take my place if any of you are still in need of a room? :smile:
Original post by charlotterhi

Hi I have a room going in a four bedroom home if you are interested ring me on 07837639594 Thankyou :smile:
If you're in a jam like this and money is tight then you need to look outside the student sector.

£150 per week for a studio is outrageous - that's about £650pcm - you can rent a one or two bedroom house in Exeter for that money, depending on area.

So you can definitely get a room in a house share, paying on a weekly or monthly basis, for much less than £150pw. You'll be sharing with professionals and it'll be a different lifestyle (no student parties in your house) but if you're here to study and money's tight, that's the compromise to make.
Original post by nonswimmer
If you're in a jam like this and money is tight then you need to look outside the student sector.

£150 per week for a studio is outrageous - that's about £650pcm - you can rent a one or two bedroom house in Exeter for that money, depending on area.

So you can definitely get a room in a house share, paying on a weekly or monthly basis, for much less than £150pw. You'll be sharing with professionals and it'll be a different lifestyle (no student parties in your house) but if you're here to study and money's tight, that's the compromise to make.

The problem is that pretty much all private landlords in Exeter refuse to rent to students and will cancel your contract if you lie and they later find out that you are a student.
Reply 15
Still haven't found a place. Help?
Reply 16
Anyone?
I'm in exactly the same boat, 3rd year and there is nothing, hasn't been for the past week. Getting really quite worried now :frown:
Two places to look for spare rooms in existing flatshares (this will at least give you somewhere to start with, you can sort something else during your first term if what you get isnt ideal) :
Gumtree : http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=rooms&search_category=flats-and-houses-for-rent&search_location=exeter&distance=0.0001
Student Spare Room : http://student.spareroom.co.uk/accommodation/university_of_exeter/
Been trying frantically all week, either rooms are not available or are so expensive it's stupid. Looks like I'm gonna be dropping out :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending