The Student Room Group

Help with university choices!

Hey there.
So after achieving AAAAB (Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Applied ICT and English respectively) at AS, I have come to the following list of university choices for Chemical Engineering:
UCL
Imperial
Cambridge
Manchester
Now, I'm applying for both ChemEng and Chem with Nuclear Engineering at Imperial (that is why you only see 4 universities). Obviously, out of my 5 choices, 4 are very risky (Manchester being less risky than the rest). Applying for 2 courses at Imperial, would being rejected from one imply being rejected from the other? Also, how much emphasis should I put on Nuclear Engineering on my personal statement? I really fear not getting an offer from one of Imperial or UCL (I'm not even considering Cambridge as a realistic option but I still want to apply, I would absolutely love going there), as I've seen people with astonishing grades apply. I'm predicted 4 A*s or 3 A*s and 1 A at A2, in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics, yet I've been told predicted grades aren't that important, as teachers tend to ignore the student's realistic chance of a grade and award a much higher one.
Are my choices too risky? I really cannot picture myself at Manchester.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Hey there.So after achieving AAAAB (Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Applied ICT and English respectively) at AS, I have come to the following list of university choices for Chemical Engineering:u:CL ImperialCambridge ManchesterNow, I'm applying for both ChemEng and Chem with Nuclear Engineering at Imperial (that is why you only see 4 universities). Obviously, out of my 5 choices, 4 are very risky (Manchester being less risky than the rest). Applying for 2 courses at Imperial, would being rejected from one imply being rejected from the other? Also, how much emphasis should I put on Nuclear Engineering on my personal statement? I really fear not getting an offer from one of Imperial or UCL (I'm not even considering Cambridge as a realistic option but I still want to apply, I would absolutely love going there), as I've seen people with astonishing grades apply. I'm predicted 4 A*s or 3 A*s and 1 A at A2, in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics, yet I've been told predicted grades aren't that important, as teachers tend to ignore the student's realistic chance of a grade and award a much higher one.Are my choices too risky? I really cannot picture myself at Manchester.
I think you stand a good chance for all the universities you listed.
Bump
Hey there.
So after achieving AAAAB (Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Applied ICT and English respectively) at AS, I have come to the following list of university choices for Chemical Engineering:
UCL
Imperial
Cambridge
Manchester
Now, I'm applying for both ChemEng and Chem with Nuclear Engineering at Imperial (that is why you only see 4 universities). Obviously, out of my 5 choices, 4 are very risky (Manchester being less risky than the rest). Applying for 2 courses at Imperial, would being rejected from one imply being rejected from the other? Also, how much emphasis should I put on Nuclear Engineering on my personal statement? I really fear not getting an offer from one of Imperial or UCL (I'm not even considering Cambridge as a realistic option but I still want to apply, I would absolutely love going there), as I've seen people with astonishing grades apply. I'm predicted 4 A*s or 3 A*s and 1 A at A2, in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics, yet I've been told predicted grades aren't that important, as teachers tend to ignore the student's realistic chance of a grade and award a much higher one.
Are my choices too risky? I really cannot picture myself at Manchester.

Have you contacted Imperial and checked what their response would be to the 2 course application - do they have different entry requirements
Original post by TenOfThem
Have you contacted Imperial and checked what their response would be to the 2 course application - do they have different entry requirements

They are exactly the same :biggrin: Plus, I'm taking the subjects they require.
They are exactly the same :biggrin: Plus, I'm taking the subjects they require.

But, you have checked that they will consider applications for 2 similar courses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending