The Student Room Group

Medicine at KCL

Hey guys, I've recently been considering applying to KCL instead of one of my other choices. But I didn't go to the open day at the beginning of summer so I don't know much about the application process etc. I would be really grateful if someone could give me some information about how exactly the application process there works, and whether I would be a strong candidate?

EDIT: Have they introduced MMIs for the 5 year course yet or not?

IGCSEs: 9A*1A
AS: 4A (predicted another A for f. maths AS which I'm taking over the 2 years)
A2: predicted 4A*
UKCAT: 752.5 average, band 1 put I have a huge range in scores between the 4 sections.

Also what are the pros and cons of King's for medicine? I've been hearing about some recent scandals...

Lastly, does anyone know what percentage of people (roughly) intercalate?
(edited 9 years ago)
Great application you could apply anywhere...
Reply 2
Hi,

I am a current KCL Med Student (p3).

You should be fine getting into KCL. The interview is still panel based (last time i heard).

Intercalation - majority intercalate at one point (either after 2nd year or after 3rd year). I will be intercalating next year. But from statistics shared last year in one of our lectures - intercalating or not doesnt really make a huge difference just gives you some extra points when it comes to your application for FY1.

Life at KCL - its actually really good. Studying in the heart of london with all the main hospitals literally a walk away. The course itself is good - they are restructuring medicine at KCL due to its student feedback being low but things are improving. Its in the top 5 UK med schools for a reason so go for it.

Advice - make sure you have a good work experience. KCL really like talking about that. Show you have a social life too.

Good luck.
Original post by Mobs25
Hi,

You should be fine getting into KCL. The interview is still panel based (last time i heard).

Intercalation - majority intercalate at one point (either after 2nd year or after 3rd year). I will be intercalating next year. But from statistics shared last year in one of our lectures - intercalating or not doesnt really make a huge difference just gives you some extra points when it comes to your application for FY1.

Life at KCL - its actually really good. Studying in the heart of london with all the main hospitals literally a walk away. The course itself is good - they are restructuring medicine at KCL due to its student feedback being low but things are improving. Its in the top 5 UK med schools for a reason so go for it.

Advice - make sure you have a good work experience. KCL really like talking about that. Show you have a social life too.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your help!
I have a couple more questions: do you think it's a disadvantage being on Guy's campus as you are sort of isolated from the rest of the uni?
And does it bother you that the year is so large - do you feel you get enough support from the uni?
Original post by Mobs25
Hi,

Good luck.

Sorry but theres no such thing as the "top 5 medical schools in the UK" and even if there was KCL wouldn't be in it.
LOL KCL came below SGUL in the league tables for medicine and that's saying something...
Reply 6
Original post by lilixxx1000
Thank you so much for your help!
I have a couple more questions: do you think it's a disadvantage being on Guy's campus as you are sort of isolated from the rest of the uni?
And does it bother you that the year is so large - do you feel you get enough support from the uni?

Hey,

I find Guys campus a better fit. Its opposite Guys Hospital, its at london bridge (heart of london - lunch walks down the themes etc). Overall its actually nice being their as everything is a walk away. In the course you spend time going to the other campuses to learn with nurses etc as part of the course and you visit the trust hospitals throughout the year 1 and 2 (KCH, STT, PUH, etc).

The year is large (400 i think) but you are divided into small tutor groups (10ish per group) and so its easier. You learn with that small class and you spend a lot of time with them. Its a lot nicer way as you end up revising together and interacting with other small groups.

Support. You have tutors, senior staff etc that you can use for support. In reality its very much independent and your small group and friends at uni are your real support (as with everywhere). They are improving the support system and making you see your personal tutor more regularly.

Feel free to ask more.
Reply 7
Original post by Okorange
Sorry but theres no such thing as the "top 5 medical schools in the UK" and even if there was KCL wouldn't be in it.

Hi,

See below for the league table.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/medicine#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

In UK for medicine - 5th position (thus in top 5?)
In the world - 19th position (top 20 in world).

I am no spokes person for KCL but its a good uni with respectable ranks. As is your medical university i would assume.
Original post by tania<3
lol kcl came below sgul in the league tables for medicine and that's saying something...

kcl>>>>>>>>>>>sgul

:tongue:
Original post by Mobs25
Hi,

See below for the league table.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/medicine#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

In UK for medicine - 5th position (thus in top 5?)
In the world - 19th position (top 20 in world).

I am no spokes person for KCL but its a good uni with respectable ranks. As is your medical university i would assume.

Yes but first off, KCL isn't consistently in the top 5. It is ranked next to last in the league tables, even if you ranked by UCAS tariff it would still not be top 5. It was not top 5 in the RAE ranking.

King's is only barely top 5 in "medicine in QS" but when you look at the faculty ranking in QS it is 6th.

All this ignores the fact that there is no "ranking" of schools.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mobs25
Hey,

I find Guys campus a better fit. Its opposite Guys Hospital, its at london bridge (heart of london - lunch walks down the themes etc). Overall its actually nice being their as everything is a walk away. In the course you spend time going to the other campuses to learn with nurses etc as part of the course and you visit the trust hospitals throughout the year 1 and 2 (KCH, STT, PUH, etc).

The year is large (400 i think) but you are divided into small tutor groups (10ish per group) and so its easier. You learn with that small class and you spend a lot of time with them. Its a lot nicer way as you end up revising together and interacting with other small groups.

Support. You have tutors, senior staff etc that you can use for support. In reality its very much independent and your small group and friends at uni are your real support (as with everywhere). They are improving the support system and making you see your personal tutor more regularly.

Feel free to ask more.

Thank you very much! I'll let you know if I have any more questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending