The Student Room Group

Engineering Mathemetics - Personal Statement

Hi, I'm thinking of an engineering mathemetics degree at uni and was wondering what would be looked for on a personal statement. I'm aware that not many unis do the degree so what I was planning on doing was research in what they look for in a maths degree and an engineering degree then incorporate parts of both. I'm going to Bristol open day in september so can ask then but I want to get started now. Thanks :smile:
sorry to appear very foolish but is that even a degree?
Reply 2
Original post by Ilovemaths96
sorry to appear very foolish but is that even a degree?

I googled it and the first page had Exeter and Bristol, the latter also being in the OP so clearly.
Reply 3
yes it is, not many do it though
Reply 4
Original post by sl6
yes it is, not many do it though

OP I realise that no one's helped you on this, so whilst I applied for none of these courses I'll try to lend a hand.

Firstly seeing as not many universities do this course you'll need to think about what other course(s) you'll be applying for. Ones that spring to mind are mechanical engineering, maths and applied maths because they seem related.

I would then gear your personal statement towards this area and mention, as you say, aspects of both mathematics and engineering that interest you. The people who run these courses know that there aren't many of them and will be expecting personal statements which are a mismatch of things.

I would use unambiguous phrases and don't specifically mention the course by name, just talk about the mathematics of engineering, applications of mathematics in the real world, uses of mathematics. That kind of thing.

Next of course, when you go to Bristol you should ask the staff there what kind of things they're looking for, then ask the students what they put. Get friendly enough with the admissions tutor and they might remember you! Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edit: also reed moar, and no clichés.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
is it actually called mathemetics?

sounds about like methematics
Reply 6
Original post by Cerdic
OP I realise that no one's helped you on this, so whilst I applied for none of these courses I'll try to lend a hand.

Firstly seeing as not many universities do this course you'll need to think about what other course(s) you'll be applying for. Ones that spring to mind are mechanical engineering, maths and applied maths because they seem related.

I would then gear your personal statement towards this area and mention, as you say, aspects of both mathematics and engineering that interest you. The people who run these courses know that there aren't many of them and will be expecting personal statements which are a mismatch of things.

I would use unambiguous phrases and don't specifically mention the course by name, just talk about the mathematics of engineering, applications of mathematics in the real world, uses of mathematics. That kind of thing.

Next of course, when you go to Bristol you should ask the staff there what kind of things they're looking for, then ask the students what they put. Get friendly enough with the admissions tutor and they might remember you! Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edit: also reed moar, and no clichés.

Sorry for the late reply, just seen this now and thanks for the help. Yep the other courses i'll be applying for will be pure maths degrees. I'm going Bristol tommorow so I'll make sure to ask that, thank you!
If you're mostly applying for maths, I would focus on that aspect and then talk about its relation to engineering and why that interests you :smile:
Grades much more important, that's all I'll say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending