International business with french:
Dundee
Edinburgh
Heriot Watt

Business with french:
Stirling
Glasgow Caledonian
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Our choices for ChemEng are extremely similar!
Chem Eng and Chem with Nuclear Eng at Imperial, and ChemEng at UCL, Cambridge, Manchester. So 4/5 coincide for us!

Good luck with Cambridge man :biggrin:

I want one of those Study Abroad or Industrial Experience courses, which are probably really competitive, so I want to apply for my university choices as soon as possible. Have you applied for your uni choices yet?
Reply 382
Original post by murphy23
International business with french:
Dundee
Edinburgh
Heriot Watt

Business with french:
Stirling
Glasgow Caledonian

Same with me! I plan to apply to study international business with french, but I will also be applying to study at Napier and RGU
Original post by Ami_
Same with me! I plan to apply to study international business with french, but I will also be applying to study at Napier and RGU

Oh hey😁 What subjects are you taking this year?
Original post by VibraGenesis
Good luck with Cambridge man :biggrin:

I want one of those Study Abroad or Industrial Experience courses, which are probably really competitive, so I want to apply for my university choices as soon as possible. Have you applied for your uni choices yet?

Sometime along next week, hbu?
I want to study Events Management & my top 5 are:
1. Leeds Met
2. Sheffield Hallam
3. Manchester Met
4. Chester
5. Huddersfield
Reply 386
Oh hey������ What subjects are you taking this year?

Well I changed from AH Bio, Chem and History to H French, Spanish, Bus Man and MS since I realised that I would prefer a career involved with business and the availability to travel instead of becoming a doctor haha

Which subjects did you take?
Hi,
Course-Civil Engineering
Choices:
Loughborough
Warwick
Manchester
UcL or Surrey
Nottingham or Sheffield

A level: Maths, Chemistry and Physics, predicted ABA respectively.
Also got a C in spanish AS.

Is it normal to apply for a course when your predicted grades are lower than the standard offer, in my case AAB for an AAA course? And if yes, is it gamble anyway?
I'm not entirely sure what I want to study or where but what I have so far is:

King's College London- Geography
University College London- Geography
University of Nottingham- Natural Sciences (This encompasses both geography and biology)
University of St. Andrews- Joint honours in Biology and Geography
Not sure about my 5th but considering Durham for Natural Sciences

:smile:
Original post by Ami_
Well I changed from AH Bio, Chem and History to H French, Spanish, Bus Man and MS since I realised that I would prefer a career involved with business and the availability to travel instead of becoming a doctor haha

Which subjects did you take?

That's a good selection! Pretty similar to what I took last year.
I'm taking AH french, economics, modern studies and nat. 5 maths (I got a 3 at SG:s-smilie:)
Have you done higher maths? Maths seriously isn't my forté and I'm really concerned that I won't get in 'cos I only do nat 5. I know that most unis ask for at least credit grade maths at SG but I hope I'm not at a disadvantage since having higher maths is pretty well thought of in terms of business.
Philosophy, Politics and Economics

Oxford
LSE
UCL
York
Durham

Grades at AS were AAAAA in Maths, History, Economics, Chemistry and German. Currently doing 5 A2s, not sure whether to drop one. All the standard offers are A*AA except for Oxford, which only wants AAA.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 391
That's a good selection! Pretty similar to what I took last year.
I'm taking AH french, economics, modern studies and nat. 5 maths (I got a 3 at SG:s-smilie:)
Have you done higher maths? Maths seriously isn't my forté and I'm really concerned that I won't get in 'cos I only do nat 5. I know that most unis ask for at least credit grade maths at SG but I hope I'm not at a disadvantage since having higher maths is pretty well thought of in terms of business.

Agh, I wish my school offered economics :frown: I feel like I am at a disadvantage for the same reason why you feel like you're at a disadvantage for not taking higher maths :/ I took higher maths and I got a B, but hey I'm sure you will get in!
My AS Levels:
Art- D (dropped)
English Lit- C (1 mark off D)
Politics- C
History- C (1 mark off B..)

I feel dumb compared to you lot :P

Want to study Politics and International Relations. Or just Politics depending on uni.

My main concern is actually getting into a good university with these grades. I'm doing a couple of resits and will hopefully get BBC predicted grades, maybe BBB if I do more resits. but I heard it's risky to apply to unis with entry requirements higher than your AS grades, which would mean there's few unis I could even apply to. Also, I won't exactly get a rave review from my teachers when it comes to references and my personal statement is somewhat lacking.

I'm not entirely decided on my unis yet. UEA is my favourite but the entry requirements are ABB and even with resits I guess it's just not possible.

What do you think about:
Kent
Keele
Plymouth
Swansea
Reading
Dundee
Nottingham Trent

I think I may be way out of my league with most of these unis. I want to go to a good uni but I don't want to get 5 rejections :frown:
Original post by sourlemon
My AS Levels:
Art- D (dropped)
English Lit- C (1 mark off D)
Politics- C
History- C (1 mark off B..)

I feel dumb compared to you lot :P

Want to study Politics and International Relations. Or just Politics depending on uni.

My main concern is actually getting into a good university with these grades. I'm doing a couple of resits and will hopefully get BBC predicted grades, maybe BBB if I do more resits. but I heard it's risky to apply to unis with entry requirements higher than your AS grades, which would mean there's few unis I could even apply to. Also, I won't exactly get a rave review from my teachers when it comes to references and my personal statement is somewhat lacking.

I'm not entirely decided on my unis yet. UEA is my favourite but the entry requirements are ABB and even with resits I guess it's just not possible.

What do you think about:
Kent
Keele
Plymouth
Swansea
Reading
Dundee
Nottingham Trent

I think I may be way out of my league with most of these unis. I want to go to a good uni but I don't want to get 5 rejections :frown:

Kent is a really good Uni! But it's not a bad thing to aim high, as long as you have insurance choises! My friend got CCEE and she is aiming for a course that requires ABB I mean with dedication, positive thinking and reassurance for those you trust, you should do fine! Maybe even better than you thought!
Original post by Cutiepatootie175
Kent is a really good Uni! But it's not a bad thing to aim high, as long as you have insurance choises! My friend got CCEE and she is aiming for a course that requires ABB I mean with dedication, positive thinking and reassurance for those you trust, you should do fine! Maybe even better than you thought!

Thank you :smile: Good luck to your friend, that's gotta be tough.

Yeah Kent looks great, I like that you can do a study abroad year for politics and international relations. I'm just worried because if your predicted grades are a lot higher than your AS grades the teachers have to justify it and I'm not sure I can turn around their impression of me before I submit my application :s-smilie: But hopefully if I just work really hard this year I can do better :smile:
Thank you :smile: Good luck to your friend, that's gotta be tough.

Yeah Kent looks great, I like that you can do a study abroad year for politics and international relations. I'm just worried because if your predicted grades are a lot higher than your AS grades the teachers have to justify it and I'm not sure I can turn around their impression of me before I submit my application :s-smilie: But hopefully if I just work really hard this year I can do better :smile:

Why do they have a bad impression? An I'm sure they won't say anything too bad about you! Their overall aim is to get as many students into Uni as they can! I'm sure you can do it! I got ABBU in my AS's and I'm aiming for a course that's AAA (granted I was 1 mark off an A in one an 3 marks off an A in another) you have just gotta aim high
If you don't quite make it then you will have your insurance choices if you do it right! :smile: but good luck this year
Original post by Cutiepatootie175
Why do they have a bad impression? An I'm sure they won't say anything too bad about you! Their overall aim is to get as many students into Uni as they can! I'm sure you can do it! I got ABBU in my AS's and I'm aiming for a course that's AAA (granted I was 1 mark off an A in one an 3 marks off an A in another) you have just gotta aim high
If you don't quite make it then you will have your insurance choices if you do it right! :smile: but good luck this year

basically I didn't try very hard at all and annoyed the teachers by not doing the homework and skipping class :/ I also managed to severely piss off the head of sixth form. I know they want me to go to uni but I struggle to think of anything good they could say :s

well done on your grades :biggrin: what course are you aiming for?
basically I didn't try very hard at all and annoyed the teachers by not doing the homework and skipping class :/ I also managed to severely piss off the head of sixth form. I know they want me to go to uni but I struggle to think of anything good they could say :s

well done on your grades :biggrin: what course are you aiming for?

Thaaat a never good? But if you didn't put in 100% and still got C's imagine what you could do with motivation! Yeah the teachers may be a bit sour but you know talk to them
Explain yourself and explain (as show them) how dedicated you are now and how you're going to do well and they may change their perspective slightly.

Thanks! I'm hoping to do psychology at the University of surrey!

I would say talk to them, especially if you're worried that they're not going to give you a 'glowing' reference, they won't give you a bad one but at our school they just word it differently to mention the 'bad' points but not in a too negative way! So if you talk to them at least they'll realise you are thinking about the process and don't have the attitude that nothing can be done, because just going to talk to them anyway they'll know that you are thinking about what it requires etc.
As you've said you're resitting some so then hopefully by asking your teachers they could predict one grade above? ie. you got a C this time, you're gonna resit so you're going to aim to get a B so if they believe you that you're gonna try harder they might give you it - maybe not the one where you were one off a D, I'd say they might still predict you a C but the others might be able to go up and you can apply to ones higher than you're predicted so if you're predicted BBC I'd say you could apply for the ABB you really want :biggrin: and you're better two would be politics and history which are directly related to what you want to do which is good :biggrin:
I obviously don't know for sure how many offers they give to those predicted lower but you might as well try if it's your favourite :biggrin: hope that longggg answer helped! :tongue:
Hiya all, looking to do an astrophysics course. Predicted A*AB for a2 and currently have AABBB at AS and 7a*s, 6A's and 2bs at gcse.

These are my list of unis so far
University College London
Glasgow
Nottingham
Edinburgh
Exeter
Sheffield
Bristol
Southampton
Leicester
Swansea
Kent