The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bedshaped
Yeah this is getting on my nerves too, I'm glad we've got Remy as backup.

Same. Was worried at the start of the season with Drogba and Torres, we could have done with Lukaku but Remy is a quality player, tbh he'd start for Arsenal and arguably is as good an option as Balotelli, doesn't have as good a ceiling as Balo but he's consistent.
Original post by Rafa
I don't think your god cares about Chelsea mate.

Already go the Premiership? Since when were Premiership medals handed out in September...congratulations.

Good luck for next season then.

Tbh our main challengers are City. Arsenal's setup and play is quite bad, Liverpool have a good setup but they're too reliant on Sterling and Sturridge, juggling europe as well may stop them and they've completely changed a back 4 in the space of a season while making plenty of new midfield signings that need time to adjust. They'll improve defensively but that'll take some time. Same thing goes for United, but we're already 10 points above you, can be cut down to 7 points but lets be honest when Mourinho gets a big lead like this early on you may as well give his team the title.

City well they've had a very tough start to the season, they've already faced 2 of the top 4 last season, but they shouldn't have sold Negredo firstly for depth(despite his injury) and their setup is quite bad too, just that they have the raw firepower to make up for their setup deficiencies.

If we beat City next week and avoid defeat to United then it's over already. Seem to just be able to outscore teams now and if it comes to it we can go back to the 1-0 tactics of last season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rafa
Yes :teeth:

LOL
Original post by jam278

If we beat City next week and avoid defeat to United then it's over already. Seem to just be able to outscore teams now and if it comes to it we can go back to the 1-0 tactics of last season.

I'd say the big tie would be playing Arsenal away rather than City away this season, nonetheless those 2 are the biggest games. Judging by their slow start to the campaign, it's the best time to play City. Our defense hasn't been the most consistent, which worries me.

We never know which United will turn up on the day, or how they'll fair once Falcao/Di Maria have integrated properly. Plus they are only in contention for 2 trophies this season.

Pellegrini to be sacked before the season ends.
Original post by AnharM
It's just a side comment mate, calm the **** down.

And don't call me a ''tool'', and say ''no offence'' after it, like I won't be offended, you prick.

Do you have anger issues? Calm down you cretin. You brought FIFA ratings into a convo about irl football, so yes you are a tool.
Original post by The Shed End
Do you have anger issues? Calm down you cretin. You brought FIFA ratings into a convo about irl football, so yes you are a tool.

Oh stfu.
Reus is probably the next most realistic target that wouldnt break the bank but he's primarily a LW as Hazard is too. Di Maria's the best RW in the world tbh, or as good as Robben imo. Not many targets out there and I love Schurrle, his workrate and he's generally one of the players who shows the most passion on the pitch.

There were points last season and the season before where Robben was arguably the best player in the world.

I think Hazard is very far away from Robben let alone Ronaldo.
Original post by AnharM
Oh stfu.

Chillax m8. You can always go talk about FIFA ratings with those in the gaming section, and let the grown ups base an argument on more than what EA Sports thinks.
Original post by little_tom
There were points last season and the season before where Robben was arguably the best player in the world.

I think Hazard is very far away from Robben let alone Ronaldo.

Understandable here. I'm a very big Robben fan so can see where you're coming from but I wouldn't say he's very far away. Hazard is in and around the Bale category and Robben at 23 wasn't at Hazard's level tbh although having a similar impact at Chelsea to Hazard. Hazard will improve and despite being overshadowed by 2 of the magic trio, has a goal and an assist and probably was our best player vs Swansea despite Diego Costa getting a hattrick.
Original post by jam278
Understandable here. I'm a very big Robben fan so can see where you're coming from but I wouldn't say he's very far away. Hazard is in and around the Bale category and Robben at 23 wasn't at Hazard's level tbh although having a similar impact at Chelsea to Hazard. Hazard will improve and despite being overshadowed by 2 of the magic trio, has a goal and an assist and probably was our best player vs Swansea despite Diego Costa getting a hattrick.

I don't think there's much between Bale and Robben. Robben has better dribbling and close control, while Bale is more machine-like and is probably more athletic (in the Ronaldo sense, like has a hard shot, free kicks, headers, strength).

Depends who you want. Bale is suited to Real Madrid while you coul say Robben is suited to a slightly more measured approiach.

I'd prefer a Bale in my team because of his physique
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I don't think there's much between Bale and Robben. Robben has better dribbling and close control, while Bale is more machine-like and is probably more athletic (in the Ronaldo sense, like has a hard shot, free kicks, headers, strength).

Depends who you want. Bale is suited to Real Madrid while you coul say Robben is suited to a slightly more measured approiach.

I'd prefer a Bale in my team because of his physique

I get that. Robben as a pure athlete is very underrated though, pace and power in abundance and works very hard now.

Bale would probably be preferred here because we're lacking in a bit of physicality, although dislike how often he loses the ball. Not the greatest of passers, Robben is better in linking up with players.

Spoiler

Original post by jam278
I get that. Robben as a pure athlete is very underrated though, pace and power in abundance and works very hard now.

Bale would probably be preferred here because we're lacking in a bit of physicality, although dislike how often he loses the ball. Not the greatest of passers, Robben is better in linking up with players.

Spoiler

I knew Fab would be a main man tbh.
Lampard might bang in the goals, but as a central midfielder I always thought he was in a league of his own in the Premiership with Arsenal. Passing, vision, technique is uncomparable. Barcelona mugged him off. Their problem was that they like to pass sideways too much, while Fab has that urgency. Fabregas could've easily replaced Xavi but the Barca setup is too stubborn.

I'm a big fan of Fabregas and I wasn't really worried how he'll fit in. Some players are so good you can make something work around them. He's top 3 midfielders in the league easily. Could prove to be the best come the end of the season. How Barcelona treated him was abysmal and to get him for 27 mill is a massive bargain. He's worth at least 40 when on form, plus you wouldn't even dream of selling him because he's not replaceable imo
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I knew Fab would be a main man tbh.
Lampard might bang in the goals, but as a central midfielder I always thought he was in a league of his own in the Premiership with Arsenal. Passing, vision, technique is uncomparable. Barcelona mugged him off. Their problem was that they like to pass sideways too much, while Fab has that urgency. Fabregas could've easily replaced Xavi but the Barca setup is too stubborn.

I'm a big fan of Fabregas and I wasn't really worried how he'll fit in. Some players are so good you can make something work around them. He's top 3 midfielders in the league easily. Could prove to be the best come the end of the season. How Barcelona treated him was abysmal and to get him for 27 mill is a massive bargain. He's worth at least 40 when on form, plus you wouldn't even dream of selling him because he's not replaceable imo

Tbf the whole Fabregas ain't a man man for us was just a troll for pride of london fans(worked to full effect on Zurich anyway). But yes as a player thought he was what was needed. Was wondering whether he'd play as the deep lying playmaker or as an elegant but gritty box to box midfielder(a la Schweinsteigger). Seems like he can do both. Doesn't seem to get tired either. Yeah Fabregas helps our style which is more direct and full on. He'd have been a great fit for the Heynckes Bayern years.

I wasn't too worried about him fitting in. Thought he'd play in a midfield two, but I still have reservations on Oscars ability to play at AM, so would like us to go 4-3-3. Barca he was unlucky that his best positions for them in a tactical sense (no.10, no.8 and false 9) were occupied by Iniesta and Messi. Could have replaced Xavi but he's too used to the prems style. If he spent a few more years in la liga for his education he'd have stayed at Barca. He tends to fade later on in the season(at Arsenal as well) so ngl want a backup for him.
Oh yeah forgot that Bayern are facing City at the Allianz so they have to fly back to england as well. Pellegrini is in a group with Roma as well so will want to get a result vs Bayern so will use their best team.

Chelsea have got this game at the Etihad. City have been put in a baptism of fire with their start to the season. Liverpool, Arsenal, Bayern and Chelsea in the first 5 weeks of football.
[
Original post by jam278

Have to disagree. Robben at hazards age was noticeable better I feel. He head a heavy influence on many of the games, taking them by the scruff of the neck, and had more consistency than Hazard does now.

The guy was instrumental in the attack in terms of his technical ability and pace + power (which I feel is underrated). He allowed the opposing teams to be opened up & have the midfielders create chances, as well as allowing room for Lampard to surge through.

here with eden it seems that he slows the attack down. People say he's been double marked or whatever but observe him and often when he gets the ball he'll then slow down allowing the opponents to re-group. Robben never really had this problem and was always willing to take them all on. Acting as a good flat-track bully too which hazard doesn't.

I don't think he has nearly the same ability or effect that robben had.
Reply 2495
It's Champions League day! :biggrin:
Would like to see...

Cech

Azpi Cahill Terry Felipe

Matic

Oscar Fabregas

Salah Hazard

Remy

Luis needs game time, Cech should be cup keeper and Courtois needs to see that he can't take No.1 for granted. Want to see how Cesc and Oscar are alongside each other and it's a good chance to rotate Salah/Willian before the City game. Although I think Jose will go safe and put Schurrle in at the right and keep Azpi and Iva at LB/RB.
(edited 9 years ago)
Put in Mikel for Matic. Can't afford to have him injured and Willian to play ahead of Salah as he's terrible and obvs Remy and Drogba to play a part.

Schalke are a good side(despite playing poorly), don't know too much about them bar their attacking players. Defensively they're not the greatest though, Howedes is a good player though.
Mikel could work tbf, we don't really need to worry about not having any creativity in the side anymore as long as Cesc is playing. Would like Salah to have more playing time tbh and this is pretty much a dead rubber. Even if we were to lose tonight we'll still top the group.
Mikel could work tbf, we don't really need to worry about not having any creativity in the side anymore as long as Cesc is playing. Would like Salah to have more playing time tbh and this is pretty much a dead rubber. Even if we were to lose tonight we'll still top the group.

Good point. I was genuinely thinking about playing the second team tonight so they don't get injured for City. We'll get 12 points minimum from this group and I doubt even if Schalke were to do the double over us that they'd even get 12 points from the others in the group.

As Lil Wayn would say I ain't got no worries.

Latest