The Student Room Group

Adult trying to get back into University/Looking to do some A levels

Hi all,

This is my first post here, I found some really useful information on the forums in the past, so I thought this would be a perfect place to ask a few questions.

My story: I'm 29, have a BA and Masters in Music but now wish to move into Computer Science as a career. I did my A-levels about 10 years ago, but my grades are not good at all (DEAD - at least they spell out something cool!)

As I would like to pursue a Computer Science degree at the best possible place (entry in 2015), for the past few days I've been looking into Colleges in/near London where I can redo one or two A-levels to give me a better chance at a place next year.

I've been having real trouble finding a place where
a) Adult students are accepted for A-levels
b) Do Mathematics/Further Maths A-levels
c) Are part of the '24+ Advanced Learning Loan' scheme to help me pay my fees.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have also emailed the admissions teams of several Universities expressing my interest for the Computer Science degrees and asking whether mature students like myself are judged using any different criteria and whether my current Uni qualifications could provide any leverage. Haven't heard anything back yet :frown:

If anyone has had a similar experience I would love to hear from you.

Apologies for the long post and hope it's in the right place on the forum!
Reply 1
Good Luck , Similar Situation
Do you want to do this full or part time or evening and North/south/West/East? Plenty of tutorial courses or perhaps this http://london.floodlight.co.uk/london/course-details-reviews/barking-and-dagenham-college/maths-gcse/16180339/55515072/course-info.html
Reply 3
Good luck to us Jr.!

parentlurker: Thank you for the link, i will use the page now to look for courses. I am looking to do the A-level(s) full-time, ideally intense one-year courses instead of the usual two-year ones. In terms of location, I'm willing to commute quite far, but I live in North London (Caledonian Road) so around here would definitely be ideal. I am a freelance musician (tutor/composer etc.) so I can be quite flexible with my time if needed.

The first thing I stumbled upon on the link above was this: http://www.ed-next.com/ - a page offering "Online A-level courses" including Pure Maths which is one of the A-levels I'd like to pursue. Has anyone used a similar online service before? I will give them a call tomorrow to find out more and report back here.
Have you come across Access to HE courses? They're one year full time college courses designed for people who, like you, are returning to education after a number of years out, and they can be a really good option - even Russell Group unis accept them (though for comp sci some will require A Level maths too).

I'll move this over to the mature students forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
not too hot on London geography but take a look at

http://www.barnetsouthgate.ac.uk/courses/display/full_time/as_a_levels_and_science

http://www.conel.ac.uk/for-learners/268-adults.html

search on further education colleges and you'll find they often take adults.

(btw quote people or give rep if you want a response or they may not realise you've replied).
Reply 6
You'll have to have a look at 24+ loans. As I believe if you already have a Level 3/4 qualification then you are not applicable for one. A-Levels are level 3 I believe. Just thought I would let you know.

But yes, an access course definitely sounds more suitable than retaking A levels.
You can still get a 24+ loan even if you already have level 3 qualifications. I got one to do an Access course, despite already having 3 A Levels.
Reply 8
Original post by Schadenfreude65
You can still get a 24+ loan even if you already have level 3 qualifications. I got one to do an Access course, despite already having 3 A Levels.

Oh I read that you couldn't already have a loan... ok. Must have misread that.

Edit: You can get up to 4 non A-Level loans, one loan at a time. Or 3 loans for A-Levels plus 3 non a level loans.

You cannot take another loan for the same course or qualification.

Must have read something else. Perhaps a degree loan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Hello, I'm not sure I'm in the right place but I have some questions. Can you help me, please?=)
So I want to apply for college but i don't meet the entry requirements. I thought I could take the foundation year but they won't accept me with only 10 years of schooling. Therefore I can only take A levels but I'm just not sure if it is the right step. I want to pursuit a law degree. I'm portuguese and 20 y.o.

Thank you for your attention.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lambros
Hi all,

This is my first post here, I found some really useful information on the forums in the past, so I thought this would be a perfect place to ask a few questions.

My story: I'm 29, have a BA and Masters in Music but now wish to move into Computer Science as a career. I did my A-levels about 10 years ago, but my grades are not good at all (DEAD - at least they spell out something cool!)

As I would like to pursue a Computer Science degree at the best possible place (entry in 2015), for the past few days I've been looking into Colleges in/near London where I can redo one or two A-levels to give me a better chance at a place next year.

I've been having real trouble finding a place where
a) Adult students are accepted for A-levels
b) Do Mathematics/Further Maths A-levels
c) Are part of the '24+ Advanced Learning Loan' scheme to help me pay my fees.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have also emailed the admissions teams of several Universities expressing my interest for the Computer Science degrees and asking whether mature students like myself are judged using any different criteria and whether my current Uni qualifications could provide any leverage. Haven't heard anything back yet :frown:

If anyone has had a similar experience I would love to hear from you.

Apologies for the long post and hope it's in the right place on the forum!

Hey there! I'm in a very similiar situation (20, want to apply to do Economics but need both Maths and Further Maths).

I'm hunting around for colleges too (might actually just attend college for A2s). Will keep you posted if I find anything :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Hi I am 29. Getting back to studies.

For entry into medicine, What do you suggest ?

A levels or access to medicine.

I need some suggestions to clear my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply