College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Any introverts at City Uni?

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Godzillati
Hi, got an offer from City University, I know it's a great uni etc but I'm not that sociable and outgoing when first meeting people, very socially awkward haha, so with the reputation of City University being great for nightlife and freshers week, how do you think I'd fare? And also are there any like-minded people out there that will be joining me? :biggrin:
Thanks!
I'm going City as well next month but i'm not a drinking/clubbing type of person however i'm very sociable and outgoing. If you want we can meet near the uni on freshers and go from there :biggrin:
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Same here, I hate the music they play at these events anyway :biggrin: Not that I don't like going out
Reply 3
Original post by Harry Newgas
Same here, I hate the music they play at these events anyway :biggrin: Not that I don't like going out

Original post by Olven123
I'm going City as well next month but i'm not a drinking/clubbing type of person however i'm very sociable and outgoing. If you want we can meet near the uni on freshers and go from there :biggrin:

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey I'm starting city in a few weeks too! The first week is going to be so awkward. I don't mind clubbing and going out but I'm not a drinker. What plans do you have for freshers week?
Original post by Pizza750
Hey I'm starting city in a few weeks too! The first week is going to be so awkward. I don't mind clubbing and going out but I'm not a drinker. What plans do you have for freshers week?

You can come revise in the library with me. Start studying early.
Reply 6
From what I've seen in my first year(computer science) you meet all kinds of people,people who are friendly,a few introverts,people that make you wonder how the hell they got here,some that talk too much,some that brag and then fail to do what they were talking about,so you'll be just fine.
Reply 7
Original post by Pizza750

My course/lectures start before freshers start so I probably won't go to anything! maybe the film night depending ( I have a 9am lecture the next day and I'm commuting from east London) which course are you doing?
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by iliescu6
From what I've seen in my first year(computer science) you meet all kinds of people,people who are friendly,a few introverts,people that make you wonder how the hell they got here,some that talk too much,some that brag and then fail to do what they were talking about,so you'll be just fine.

How did you find your first year?
Was the structure of the course good?
Where the lectures helpful?
Did they give good feedback?
How was the course work marked? With percentages or numbers or letters?

Sorry for constant question finally found an computer science student at city!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It was fine,only problem was in the first month or so until I figured out were the rooms were.
Structure or the course was pretty good except for business and software engineering,granted second part of software we had a different teacher and it was somewhat better but still kinda bad(they gave huge slides and a lot of info that we never used).
Most lectures were good but again at business it felt like the lecturer was repeating the same idea for a couple of lectures and software had huge slides that gave a lot of info and history but had very few examples or none.
To be honest feedback is kinda weird at java you'll have a project,make a game with an engine,if you do only what they ask you'll get 17-18/30 for a milestone if you want more you have to add that isn't in the requirements,the weird part is that you might get in your feedback that you didn't do something(ex: create a fixture,I made 4 of them and in the feedback said that I didn't meet the requirement however a friend made only one and he got the requirement as fulfilled so yea small chances that your feedback will be unfair,my favorite was at software,got 100% at an exercise and the feedback said I did god awful but after a week they changed the feedback).
You get a certain amount of points,java has a lab evaluation (100 points)which will be 15% of you final mark,project (100 points) 35% of your final mark and exam (100 points) 50% of final mark.
It was fine,only problem was in the first month or so until I figured out were the rooms were.
Structure or the course was pretty good except for business and software engineering,granted second part of software we had a different teacher and it was somewhat better but still kinda bad(they gave huge slides and a lot of info that we never used).
Most lectures were good but again at business it felt like the lecturer was repeating the same idea for a couple of lectures and software had huge slides that gave a lot of info and history but had very few examples or none.
To be honest feedback is kinda weird at java you'll have a project,make a game with an engine,if you do only what they ask you'll get 17-18/30 for a milestone if you want more you have to add that isn't in the requirements,the weird part is that you might get in your feedback that you didn't do something(ex: create a fixture,I made 4 of them and in the feedback said that I didn't meet the requirement however a friend made only one and he got the requirement as fulfilled so yea small chances that your feedback will be unfair,my favorite was at software,got 100% at an exercise and the feedback said I did god awful but after a week they changed the feedback).
You get a certain amount of points,java has a lab evaluation (100 points)which will be 15% of you final mark,project (100 points) 35% of your final mark and exam (100 points) 50% of final mark.

Could you please show me your module codes of your software modules? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 12
If you mean the module's code: IN1005

Thankyou for replying!

I am really worried about learning java is it really hard? Also is the maths element in the course basic maths or a little more complicated? Do we work as a team when designing and making the game or is it individual?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
There is a java boot camp in the first 2 weeks,at least it was for me and 2 years ago(someone told me),it will teach you the basics of java,from what I remember the first week was ok and then in the second one they went kinda fast and showed too many things and everyone got lost at arrays for a while.The game project isn't in group,you'll have a group project at business.
Far as math goes,uh I did a lot of math in high school,more advanced and I found most of the stuff very easy-trivial.
If you mean the module's code: IN1005

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Olven123

Yo, you also go there? I wouldn't mind meeting up dude. I found freshers week dead, i need to meet some more people who are social. It would be cool if we could meet up :biggrin:

Edit: Anyone who wants to meet up and chill, just hit me up!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending