The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1560
Original post by TenOfThem
You will need to apply to universities as you did this year

Even if they are the same code there is no guarantee that they will take you into 2nd year

Why are you starting a university that you do not want to study at for the full 3 years?

It's the easiest option for me, its not i dont want to study there i'm mainly thinking of ease of getting a job/distance from home
Reply 1561
How much influence does A Level results have on the possibility to transfer to another institution for second year entry after first year at another institute If first year marks were high (high 2:1/1st)?

In my case, I excelled in the subject at A level, in which, I'm now studying at University but results were average in my other subjects, I have ended up having to attend my insurance choice which I never really wanted to go to however did not want to enter clearing due to the uncertainty and a chance of not gaining a place at uni this year. I have already taken a year out so that was not an option unfortunately.

Has anyone had a similar experience and has been able to transfer to second year based on first year results without meeting the original entry requirements for A levels?
Interested in this also. I'm at UCL for engineering which was my insurance after imperial. Hoping there's a way. Although that may all prove to be useless if I enjoy here at UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You both might want to have a read of this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

Usually, as I understand it, if you've got very good attainment (i.e. a first or a high 2.1) then this might mitigate a slight slip up during your a-levels, e.g. AAB instead of AAA- especially if people have dropped out in first year and there is now space on the course. If your a-levels are a lot poorer than usual, e.g. ACC then you're much less likely to get a place.

There is no harm in emailing the university and finding out their position.
They matter, but you can mitigate poor A levels with good undergraduate performance in some cases (it depends on many things). Contact the universities you are considering and ask them their policy.
Does anyone know which top uni usually accepts transfer students for their engineering courses?
Some of these threads give me hope!
Reply 1567
Hello I have a very difficult situation and hoping someone can help me I have been reading the student room forums since I started UNi 2 years ago and I wanted to know if I can transfer to a different UNi has a second year student if I failed to progress in my current UNi has a second year. I passed my first year first time. At the moment am applying through clearing, the course am trying to apply to is similar to the one I have do so far media technology
What are the chances of being able to transfer courses if they are slightly different?

I want to transfer from Maths & Physics at Bristol to Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathemtics at Birmingham. It appears that I do 10 more credits of Maths at Bristol during my first year but I miss out on 10 credits of Physics though, as it is replaced by lab work here at Bristol. So I imagine they go into the Physics theory a bit more than we do here at Bristol but it looks like all the topics are coverered.

The course at Birmingham is very Maths/Theory orientated, as you might be able to tell. Does this slight difference in my first year matter? Has anybody got any experience with transfering to Birmingham Physics department? Does anybody think that doing more credits of Maths will make up for it?

My reasons for transfering are family, care, and mental health related.

Please reply if you can help at all.
Original post by Magic Dust
Many universities only consider a transfer if you have a really valid personal reason, it often isn't enough for you to just say 'I am not enjoying the uni I am currently at' as they may question if you'll like it at their uni, and if you don't it could lead to you not getting the grades and bringing down their average.

I just got accepted into Southampton as a transfer. I was previously at Oxford Brookes, so I don't see why the ones you have picked would be kicking above your place.

Good luck :smile:

But, did you meet the A level entry requirements for the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When's the latest you can transfer (first year of uni) without missing out on too much?
Original post by orangeKUBRICK
When's the latest you can transfer (first year of uni) without missing out on too much?
As far as I am aware, in-year transfers are not possible. Your choice would be either to do your best in your first year where you are, and apply to transfer next September/October (which may not be successful as the courses need to be compatible), or drop out and reapply to start again in your first year.
When's the right time to formally start a transfer application i.e. the email to the University regarding a transfer? Now? I'm approximately 4 weeks into my Uni course and I've been asking myself whether its too early or not!
Original post by Minerva
As far as I am aware, in-year transfers are not possible. Your choice would be either to do your best in your first year where you are, and apply to transfer next September/October (which may not be successful as the courses need to be compatible), or drop out and reapply to start again in your first year.

Do the courses need to be 100% the same or just somewhat similair content and level?

If you have anything to say about my post on the previous page I'd appreciate it :redface:
Original post by TheBBQ
Do the courses need to be 100% the same or just somewhat similair content and level?

If you have anything to say about my post on the previous page I'd appreciate it :redface:
They'll never be 100% the same, but the 'receiving' uni needs to be satisfied that you have covered much the same ground as their own undergrads, otherwise you may not be able to keep up when you join in the second year.

Original post by TheBBQ
What are the chances of being able to transfer courses if they are slightly different?

I want to transfer from Maths & Physics at Bristol to Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathemtics at Birmingham. It appears that I do 10 more credits of Maths at Bristol during my first year but I miss out on 10 credits of Physics though, as it is replaced by lab work here at Bristol. So I imagine they go into the Physics theory a bit more than we do here at Bristol but it looks like all the topics are coverered.

The course at Birmingham is very Maths/Theory orientated, as you might be able to tell. Does this slight difference in my first year matter? Has anybody got any experience with transfering to Birmingham Physics department? Does anybody think that doing more credits of Maths will make up for it?

My reasons for transfering are family, care, and mental health related.

Please reply if you can help at all.
It's really for the uni concerned to decide. You'll need to get in touch with them and find out what their essential requirements are - they may ask to see a copy of the curriculum for your current course.

Original post by Koolio
When's the right time to formally start a transfer application i.e. the email to the University regarding a transfer? Now? I'm approximately 4 weeks into my Uni course and I've been asking myself whether its too early or not!
Well, why are you thinking of transferring? I'd not be too impressed as an admissions tutor that you've barely started and you are already wanting to move on.
It seems so long and such hassle.
Original post by Minerva
They'll never be 100% the same, but the 'receiving' uni needs to be satisfied that you have covered much the same ground as their own undergrads, otherwise you may not be able to keep up when you join in the second year.

It's really for the uni concerned to decide. You'll need to get in touch with them and find out what their essential requirements are - they may ask to see a copy of the curriculum for your current course.

Well, why are you thinking of transferring? I'd not be too impressed as an admissions tutor that you've barely started and you are already wanting to move on.

That's exactly why I'm being cautious about this. I know they'd think its too early, that if I can't handle my current institution I won't handle theirs etc...

But the reason I want to transfer has nothing to do with workload. It's more of wanting to getting into a better uni. I was too pessimistic about firm/insurance and rejected better Uni's, which I could have gotten into had I requested to be released into clearing in Aug 2014.
Original post by Koolio
That's exactly why I'm being cautious about this. I know they'd think its too early, that if I can't handle my current institution I won't handle theirs etc...

But the reason I want to transfer has nothing to do with workload. It's more of wanting to getting into a better uni. I was too pessimistic about firm/insurance and rejected better Uni's, which I could have gotten into had I requested to be released into clearing in Aug 2014.
In that case, you'd be better off dropping out and starting again. Mind you, it depends what you mean by 'better'. League tables aren't everything. In general terms, how employable you are at the end of your degree isn't linked to which university you went to.
Does the University you want to leave have any say in the transfer if you wish to transfer at the end of year 1? Can they refuse a transfer?
Original post by somemightsay888
Does the University you want to leave have any say in the transfer if you wish to transfer at the end of year 1? Can they refuse a transfer?

They can't refuse it no - if you approach them FIRST though then you will often find they're willing to help you with your application, finding the information to send to prospective universities, providing you with a reference etc.

University staff do talk to each other. When you apply elsewhere you MUST include your current university in the education section. If your tutor is not your referee then often the university you're applying to will contact your current university for an additional reference (or just a chat with their friend who happens to work their now).

It's much better to have your current university on your side than to try to sneak out. Then if the worst happens and you don't get accepted elsewhere then the staff are in a position to help make the rest of your degree at your current university more manageable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending