The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

First year medic here, been waiting too long to join this thread haha!
Original post by Team_McDreamy
brain, why you so complex? :smile: two days of intro neuro lectures = the realisation that this semester is gonna be bloody hard.

have realised that i seem to be different in that i actually like to buy and own textbooks :colondollar: i have a small collection going atm, and am intent on saving up and buying the odd one every now and then :smile:

Neuro is one of the more difficult subjects to get your head round, so don't worry about it! :biggrin:

Original post by Abbieastoria
I was gonna start browsing over my trillions of books for third year but decided to read game of thrones instead haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strong decision-making. Just finished them all the other week, definitely worth it.

Skip the first one, though, if you're in it for new plot. It's literally a carbon copy of season 1 - only benefits are greater appreciation you get for the characters (no new characters; no new plotlines or anythin). For example, I HATED Sansa in the show, but loved her in the books! You have more sympathy towards the character, and you realise she is quite clever in her own way.
Officially registered!!:biggrin:

Can someone add me please?:smile:

UEA, 1st year
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Neuro is one of the more difficult subjects to get your head round, so don't worry about it! :biggrin:

so i've heard, must be a reason why its almost the last area we study :biggrin: managed to get to grips with cardio/resp/gastro/renal/repro decent enough, so it can't be impossible! what are you studying this year?
so i've heard, must be a reason why its almost the last area we study :biggrin: managed to get to grips with cardio/resp/gastro/renal/repro decent enough, so it can't be impossible! what are you studying this year?

Well I'm intercalating in sport and exercise this year, so no systems-based stuff for me! :tongue:
Well I'm intercalating in sport and exercise this year, so no systems-based stuff for me! :tongue:

ohhh awesome :smile: what kind of things will you be doing?

i'm not intercalating, but i am writing my dissertation this year for my BSc :biggrin: no idea what i'm gonna do it on, tbh
ohhh awesome :smile: what kind of things will you be doing?

i'm not intercalating, but i am writing my dissertation this year for my BSc :biggrin: no idea what i'm gonna do it on, tbh

Pretty much the same sort of stuff you do on a medicine degree, but applied in a sport and exercise context tbh. :tongue: No idea what I'm going to do for my dissertation yet!

What was your BSc? You're a Grad Entrant?
(edited 9 years ago)

Strong decision-making. Just finished them all the other week, definitely worth it.

Skip the first one, though, if you're in it for new plot. It's literally a carbon copy of season 1 - only benefits are greater appreciation you get for the characters (no new characters; no new plotlines or anythin). For example, I HATED Sansa in the show, but loved her in the books! You have more sympathy towards the character, and you realise she is quite clever in her own way.

I'm already up to feast for crows, I deffo wanted to read then all although GoT was similar to season 1, could have probably skipped it. I hate Sansa in the show too, also hate Ygritte but like her in the book.

In love with Jon Snow <3

3 weeks until 3rd year, sleeping like 12 hours per day in prep for not sleeping at all for the next 10 months lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3048
I can't remember if it was on here or on Facebook where somebody mentioned The Knick. Either way, is anyone else following it? (if not, why not!? it's brilliant!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2937900/
Original post by Abbieastoria
I'm already up to feast for crows, I deffo wanted to read then all although GoT was similar to season 1, could have probably skipped it. I hate Sansa in the show too, also hate Ygritte but like her in the book.

In love with Jon Snow <3

3 weeks until 3rd year, sleeping like 12 hours per day in prep for not sleeping at all for the next 10 months lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, I started to really like show Sansa in season 3 and 4. :tongue:
Definitely agree. Loved Ygritte beyond the wall; hated her south of the wall! Never stopped loving the character in the books, though.

Jon Snow is brilliant, but you don't see him again until ADWD. :frown:

Is it 5 years in Malta as well?
Original post by Tech
I can't remember if it was on here or on Facebook where somebody mentioned The Knick. Either way, is anyone else following it? (if not, why not!? it's brilliant!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2937900/

I saw the trailer to that and made a mental note to watch it, thanks for mentioning it as I had no idea that it had started! Assuming that it's good given what you've said :P

Next week most of the tv shows start again, I foresee a lot of procrastination...
Nah, I started to really like show Sansa in season 3 and 4. :tongue:
Definitely agree. Loved Ygritte beyond the wall; hated her south of the wall! Never stopped loving the character in the books, though.

Jon Snow is brilliant, but you don't see him again until ADWD. :frown:

Is it 5 years in Malta as well?

Yeah, everyone says third year is one of the easiest years but I'm just worried about the 7am lectures, I'm really not a morning person :frown:

Also in second year I took loads of time off to come back to England to visit my family and fiancé but I don't think I'll be able to do that this year with ward rounds and stuff, so it's going to be like starting a whole new degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys. How long does one have to stay away from the wards after catching norovirus? Past the obvious 'I'm definitely gonna die any time soon' phase. I have a case report due in on Monday and still need info from my patient but the symptoms have just come on today arghhh D:
Original post by colabottles
Hey guys. How long does one have to stay away from the wards after catching norovirus? Past the obvious 'I'm definitely gonna die any time soon' phase. I have a case report due in on Monday and still need info from my patient but the symptoms have just come on today arghhh D:

That sucks. Keep the fluids going in. You're considered unsafe until 48 hours after the symptoms subside...

Damn, bad luck. I had norovirus when I was 15 and it really sucked, wasn't well enough to climb stairs, let alone go on the wards. Standard policy is usually 48 hours after symptoms clear up. Your consultant will probably be quite accommodating as the absolute last thing they want is somebody bringing D&V onto an HCOP ward.

Standard is 48 hours. Really not worth the risk of bringing it on the ward. As someone said your consultant should probably be accommodating.
Original post by Democracy
:hi:

Top 3 procrastinators posters from the last thread:

Kinkerz - 460
Becca-Sarah - 441
carcinoma - 394

TSR Med Students' Society

a moist feeling - 3rd Year, Barts and the London
abid
adrianclark - Specialty Registrar (A&E), London MBBS Barts and the London
alibertine
Amrito-Dorito
AndyWD
Aquoria
areyouthere? - Birmingham University
Asclepius - Manchester University
Asklepios - 2nd year, Edinburgh
Asymptote
Ataloss MB ChB
Becca-Sarah - MB ChB, University of Aberdeen
becca2389 - UCL
beccy. - Manchester University
BedsideManner
belis - FY2
billet-doux - 4th Year, GKT
Blatant Troll
Bobbie W
bright star - Liverpool University
Bubble Toes - Imperial
Cairo MEDic
canoechick - BSMS
Captain Crash - Cambridge
carcinoma - 4th year, Peninsula
chernij - Manchester
Chiko 1001 - Aberdeen
Chocolatey Goodness
Comp_Genius
crazyhelicopter
CWallace91 - Manchester
daft
dances_with_lamposts - BMBS Nottingham
Daveo - MBChB, Manchester - ST2 Radiology
davidjones90
Democracy
Demon_AS - HYMS
digitalis - MBBS FY2
Dr. Hannibal Lecter - 4th Year, Barts and the London
dr2be
Egypt
Ella_belle - Oxford University
fallenangel
fairy spangles
fairysparkle
fantasystar38
fatal - Glasgow University
felt_monkey - Southampton
fiona_135 - 4th year, GKT
Fission_Mailed - 5th Year, Nottingham
fletchdd02 - 1st year, Bristol
Fluffy - MBBS, Barts and the London; BSc(UWS), DPhil(Oxon) **
fortysixandtwo
friendlyneutron
frodo21
FTC199 - Edinburgh University
greatmonte
hassan_s
Helenia - MA, MB BChir (Cantab) ** ST2 Anaesthetics, South London
hepatomegaly
herecomestrouble - Bristol University
heythere247 - 2nd year, Leeds
hslakaal - GKT
Hygeia - MBBS, UEA** ST1, Severn
Hype en Ecosse - 2nd Year, Edinburgh
i'm no superman - St George's University of London
iMed - 3rd year, Imperial
ilovehotchocolate - 5th Year, Peninsula
j00ni - MBChB, Manchester University
Jamie - Emergency Medicine Registrar, TSR fogey and TV personality
JayD
jimbo139
John Lee
joeymr - 1st year, Manchester
JunePlum - 4th year
Kanonoji
Kaylain - 2nd year, Liverpool
KenGosgrove - 4th year GKT
King Newt
Kinkerz - Keele University
kirimin - 1st year, Leicester
kluke89
krisblade - Sheffield
Lantana - 4th Year, Newcastle
lcsurfer
Lecter
Lekky - iBSc Year, Glasgow
Lithium - Cornell University (USA)
londonergoeswest
Lu-x - Leicester
Madprof
magichearts
Magician
maherro - 4th year, Nottingham
malaz_197
manupalace - 2nd year, Imperial GEP
martin101 - Oxford University
maze.e - UCL
McGJunior88
medgirl4
Medicine Man
medic_rules
Meltdown30 - Glasgow University
Miss Monkey - GKT
modini - 2nd year, Nottingham
mortderire - UCL
MrDystopia - 2nd year GKT
mrs_bellamy - Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry
munim - Imperial
munkie - Warwick
munro90
Muse - MBChB, Bristol University**
Mushi_master - MBBS, FY1 STFS
Neostigmine - 3rds year (4th year inc foundation) at Southampton
nexttime
noregrets - 2nd year, Aberdeen
Nuttyneuron - 2nd year, GKT
OnionRing - 1st year, UEA
oxygenbubbles - GKT
Penguinsaysquack - 3rd Year, Barts and the London
Philosoraptor - iBSc MBBS UCL, FY1
pianofingers - St George's
Pmc2k
presh5 - Peninsula
psychic_maniac
Purple_Dreamer
purplefrog - UCL, 4th year
Pwhiskers - 3rd year, Nottingham
rainbowbex
randdom - BSc BMBS Brighton and Sussex Medical School - GPST2
reems23 - Imperial College London
Renal - MBBS, Barts and the London
Revenged
RollerBall - Bath University Medical School
rhythm_bandit - Imperial College, London
Ribbons - Cardiff University
RoryH - 2nd year, Bristol
Saffie - Barts and the London
Sakawa
Sambo2
Sarky - BM Southampton University, ST1 O&G
signor87
SilverArch
Skipper
Skwee - Graduated, Lisbon
SMed - 4th Year, Imperial
Smile88egc - Peninsula
Solid_L
Spacecam - Manchester University
Spencer Wells - BSc (Lond) MBBS (UCL) CT2 Anaesthetics
Supermassive_muse_fan
Suspect
sweetchilli - 3rd year, Glasgow Uni
Syncope
Talexe - Imperial
TattyBoJangles - 1st year, St Andrews
Team_McDreamy - 3rd year, St Andrews
Tech - 5th year, UCL
theiantomywanda
theredsox - GKT
ThisLittlePiggy - FY2
Tyraell
vertigo.0012 - Peninsula
visesh - MA MB BChir (Cantab) CT1 Surgery, East of England
vrron
Wangers - UCL
wils90
win2kpro
Woody. - 3rd Year, UCL
xXxBaby-BooxXx - 5th year, UEA
xylophonefairy - 3rd Year, Leicester
YoSuis - Dundee
Zaphod77 - 1st year, Birmingham

** = Group Leader

Rules: You must be a current university Medical Student or Doctor to join.

To join the usergroup, go to this page and click 'join group' :smile:

Let me know if your status (year, uni) needs changing.

Add me to the list please.
Went out last night with all of the medics- I had no idea you lot were such party animals! We all went to a curry house and we didn't even eat any curry...
Original post by visesh
That sucks. Keep the fluids going in. You're considered unsafe until 48 hours after the symptoms subside...

Original post by Fission_Mailed
Damn, bad luck. I had norovirus when I was 15 and it really sucked, wasn't well enough to climb stairs, let alone go on the wards. Standard policy is usually 48 hours after symptoms clear up. Your consultant will probably be quite accommodating as the absolute last thing they want is somebody bringing D&V onto an HCOP ward.

Original post by manupalace
Standard is 48 hours. Really not worth the risk of bringing it on the ward. As someone said your consultant should probably be accommodating.

Argh, nightmare. Thanks guys. I definitely wouldn't risk it and I'm definitely not well enough to go near the hospital yet anyway. I'll just have to hope my consultant is understanding as to why there is a gaping hole in my case report :tongue:
Can anyone recommend a good anatomy book which includes pictures of prosections? I normally use grays or moores which I find good for when I'm being tested on anatomy in a normal written exam with diagrams, but in spot tests the prosections they use obviously aren't as clear as a nice meat diagram, so I struggle in the spot tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending