The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joey11223
Woah he's not taking his phone?

I'm not sure, I think if he is he will only be using it for wifi as texts and calls would be expensive. Though I'm pretty sure he isn't taking it.

Original post by RiOt GrrrL
:unimpressed: Men. :mad:

ANYway, OP:

It is horrible that he knew he'd be going away for a long time and didn't even bother to speak to you before he left or pop in just to say hey. But he did say there's no wifi :s-smilie:

We're long distance so he couldn't really pop in.. All I wanted was a quick phone call. I don't know if there's wifi at his hotel, he said there is but so far he hasn't messaged me.

Original post by Cobbler
Rest assured if he had wanted sex he would have called!
Sounds like he is not that into you. Dump him, before he dumps you. Sounds like a tit.

Again, we are long distance so he wouldn't have just texted for sex.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure, I think if he is he will only be using it for wifi as texts and calls would be expensive. Though I'm pretty sure he isn't taking it.

We're long distance so he couldn't really pop in.. All I wanted was a quick phone call. I don't know if there's wifi at his hotel, he said there is but so far he hasn't messaged me.

I didn't mean physically pop in. I meant pop in with a chat/text to keep you updated. Didn't I say that? :hmmmm2:

Lol not that expensive, is he going somewhere in Europe? If not fair enough I guess, albeit I always sort out some sort of deal so it's reasonable, but even if not I;m on Orange, text from within the EU is 4.9p...hardly breaks the bank.
I can understand where you're coming from a bit here OP as at the very least it is courteous to at least say goodbye and I can understand you being upset if he hasn't spoken to you all week before then either. Having said that, I would advise you to take a step back and look at his failure to say goodbye objectively - he was probably rushing about (probably left packing his bags until the last minute with his parents shouting in his ear I bet lol) plus he did say he will message you when he arrives instead, therefore you should give him the opportunity to do this. Also it's only a 2 week family holiday, and it will create plenty to talk about when he gets back. :smile: I wouldn't read too much into it. However if you're concerned that he hasn't spoken to you for a while as well then maybe you should talk to him about when he gets back.. he probably doesn't even realise you're feeling a bit neglected.
How long have you been together? if it's a long period and he's not said goodbye, I'd say something is up. A quick phone call or even a text would suffice.
Good on him, he was clearly too busy of the promises which await him in those sandy beaches with all that sand burying itself between his toes. He'll be sha££ging his way into the moonlight and good for him/
He probably said bye to his real girlfriend, you're his side chick
Almost a year. I still don't understand why I'm being called clingy. Does everyone else never talk to their partners or something? I had barely talked to him all week and then he was just gone. I don't care if he doesn't contact me much when he's out there, obviously he'll be wanting to relax and not worrying about his phone but surely a quick call last night wouldn't have been too much to ask? I'm not paranoid about him cheating, it's not about that, it's just about his attitude towards me, as if I'm not really important enough to make an effort for.

I don't think the tone of your original post came across very well. I think if you'd stated you'd been together a year, and he hadn't spoken to you very much for the week before it would have come across as a bit more justified.

I'll be honest, initially I did also think you were an 18 year old angsty first BF kind of thing. It sounds like you're more worried about the overall situation in your relationship as opposed to just this action of not calling you but it came across as if your fustration was solely pinned on him not calling you the night before.

Has there been a change in the way he contacts you? Six months ago, could you have imagined him doing it then? Or has he always been a bit **** at calling/messaging etc? How long have you been long distance for?
(edited 9 years ago)
How long distance are you from each other?
Original post by RiOt GrrrL
:unimpressed: Men. :mad:

Original post by Cobbler
Rest assured if he had wanted sex he would have called!
Sounds like he is not that into you. Dump him, before he dumps you. Sounds like a tit.

:unimpressed: women. :mad:

dumpable because he was busy, gods save us.

Original post by joker12345
She isn't asking for acknowledgement during the holiday, just a goodbye before he left - she accepts that he should relax etc, there.
However, personally if my boyfriend viewed me as a stress to be glad to get away from I wouldn't pursue that relationship.

Now that I agree with, if a persons view on a relationship (or the other half of the relationship) is a stress then they are not in the mindset for a relationship. Unless of course the partner is a stresser.

Which does happen
Reply 50
Give him some space. I went for a month holiday with my family and didn't talk to my boyfriend even once during that time. :colondollar: Only via email. And seriously it didn't mean anything -- I'm with him 24/7 all year round so he respected the fact that I was having some quality time alone with family. It honestly made me love him more. Can't explain it -- just feels good when your partner knows when to give you some space.
Original post by RollerBall

Has there been a change in the way he contacts you? Six months ago, could you have imagined him doing it then? Or has he always been a bit **** at calling/messaging etc? How long have you been long distance for?

He used to be a lot better. He's gotten worse recently but I've put that down to stress of him starting a new job coupled with us going long distance against what we wanted. We've been long distance for about 4 months now, it was only ever supposed to last 2 but I haven't been able to move near him because of work.

Original post by asifyunus
How long distance are you from each other?

Just over 2 hours drive, not extremely far but it means we can't see each other that much. Generally once a fortnight or 3 weeks.

Original post by WSL
Give him some space. I went for a month holiday with my family and didn't talk to my boyfriend even once during that time. :colondollar: Only via email. And seriously it didn't mean anything -- I'm with him 24/7 all year round so he respected the fact that I was having some quality time alone with family. It honestly made me love him more. Can't explain it -- just feels good when your partner knows when to give you some space.

But I've already explained, I don't want a running commentary of his holiday. I wanted him to contact me just to say bye! I'd completely understand if he had rang me last night, we'd had a nice chat and then it was 'okay talk to you in 2 weeks' but it didn't happen like that. It's more the principle and what it represents about his feelings towards me than the act itself I guess.
Reply 52
He used to be a lot better. He's gotten worse recently but I've put that down to stress of him starting a new job coupled with us going long distance against what we wanted. We've been long distance for about 4 months now, it was only ever supposed to last 2 but I haven't been able to move near him because of work.

Just over 2 hours drive, not extremely far but it means we can't see each other that much. Generally once a fortnight or 3 weeks.

But I've already explained, I don't want a running commentary of his holiday. I wanted him to contact me just to say bye! I'd completely understand if he had rang me last night, we'd had a nice chat and then it was 'okay talk to you in 2 weeks' but it didn't happen like that. It's more the principle and what it represents about his feelings towards me than the act itself I guess.

How are you with him generally? Do you think you're "clingy" at times? Perhaps he was distancing himself in response to a general "neediness" that he's attempting to escape from. Of course, I'm just guessing. You're the only one who can judge whether this applies.
You guys should probably know that your jokes are probably making OP rather anxious. They may be jokes to you but some people are clearly sensitive (see original post). So, next time you go out of your way to message someone anonymously, try and make it a nice message, otherwise go laugh about it with your friends who actually think it's funny.
Get over it is my advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WSL
How are you with him generally? Do you think you're "clingy" at times? Perhaps he was distancing himself in response to a general "neediness" that he's attempting to escape from. Of course, I'm just guessing. You're the only one who can judge whether this applies.

I'm not clingy at all, that's what I don't understand. I really can't stand clingy people and I've always let him have his own space. Most of the time he's the one calling and texting me, not the other way round.

Well I still haven't heard anything from him. I an basically preparing myself for the fact that it's over. It's definitely not normal to not even let your girlfriend know you landed safely (again, I am funny about planes, I just asked him to let me know when he landed out of courtesy.. Surely not asking a lot?).
Reply 56
I'm not clingy at all, that's what I don't understand. I really can't stand clingy people and I've always let him have his own space. Most of the time he's the one calling and texting me, not the other way round.

Well I still haven't heard anything from him. I an basically preparing myself for the fact that it's over. It's definitely not normal to not even let your girlfriend know you landed safely (again, I am funny about planes, I just asked him to let me know when he landed out of courtesy.. Surely not asking a lot?).

:frown: I was kinda hoping you would say yes to being clingy since that was the only explanation I had.

I would say just wait until he contacts you and then assess the situation from there. In the meantime, get on with your life, have fun, be productive and try not to think into it too much. It could just turn out to be nothing!

Massive overreaction. He's on holiday, leave him be.
I'd be annoyed too, it takes like 20 seconds to type out bye I'll miss you.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Massive overreaction. He's on holiday, leave him be.

Hmm, let's see, if you hadn't heard from your (normally very communicative) partner practically all week and then you specifically asked him to let you know he got there safely and he still didn't even do that...? Surely you wouldn't think everything was normal? It's not like I'm asking for an hour phone conversation I just wanted ONE MESSAGE. Why is everyone else making out I'm some clingy Weirdo. If it was the other way round all the guys would be saying how the girl isn't interested and she's a slut etc... Yet when it's the guy who's not texting back im supposed to just sit here like a good little girlfriend and not question it.

Latest