The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craghyrax

Agreed. TLG it is vital that you set that kind of system up at the start, and that you're clear and forward with your supervisor. Don't be shy and awkward like I was.

Thanks. I've suggested monthly progress reports in my last email to her, to see what she thinks :hugs:
Original post by Feefifofum
I struggled with that while teaching last year since I had such a vast topic to teach but only 3 hours/week. I tried to go for a balance - giving summaries and overviews then going into more detail on the most important aspects of each sub-topic - but that can be quite difficult to manage given the time constraints that we are put under and the fact that many students don't do much outside reading...

Apotoftea, I would aim for broad brush strokes and stop yourself from spending hours on prep. You will be shocked when you start at how little can actually be covered in an hour, and precisely how little work gets done. If you can get them to grasp the nutshell of that topic in that space, that will be pretty good.

If it helps, I'm only doing a couple of weeks as module cover, rather than the entire thing so my prep is limited in that respect. Ideally what I wanted to do was introduce the topic and then have a couple of case studies as examples. It's just looking at the powerpoint slides from the sessions last year (from the person I'm covering) - there seems to be SO much in them and not sure that's a possibly a good thing for first years?

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thanks. I've suggested monthly progress reports in my last email to her, to see what she thinks :hugs:

Definitely have deadlines TLG, the one thing I'm majorly regretting is not writing up/sending stuff as I went along!
Original post by apotoftea

Definitely have deadlines TLG, the one thing I'm majorly regretting is not writing up/sending stuff as I went along!

:jumphug:
If it helps, I'm only doing a couple of weeks as module cover, rather than the entire thing so my prep is limited in that respect. Ideally what I wanted to do was introduce the topic and then have a couple of case studies as examples. It's just looking at the powerpoint slides from the sessions last year (from the person I'm covering) - there seems to be SO much in them and not sure that's a possibly a good thing for first years?

Lecturing, or seminar leading?
GOGs, I have an urge to get blue hair. However my sensible side insists that this is a really bad idea. However much I like it on other people it will probably look awful on me. And none of my clothes work with it. I wear neutral, earthy, murky kind of colours, and no black :frown:
GOGs, I have an urge to get blue hair. However my sensible side insists that this is a really bad idea. However much I like it on other people it will probably look awful on me. And none of my clothes work with it. I wear neutral, earthy, murky kind of colours, and no black :frown:

I like pale blue hair, particularly the tones with more lilac than green in them! I think it might suit you actually, although the colour palette might be a problem. Shame there isn't really a way to test it, since you'd need to bleach it first and there's no going back from that!
Lecturing, or seminar leading?

I'm doing both but it's the lectures I'm worried about. Seminars less so as already have the chosen readings.

As for blue hair, at least people would remember you 'cracking conference paper from girl in blue hair.

I think if it weren't for the colour scheme of your clothes, you could totally rock the blue look :yep: I think it would look good! Not sure how earthy colours would look with blue hair though - will leave those comments to someone with more fashion sense. Or even A fashion sense full stop :biggrin:
Original post by Feefifofum
I like pale blue hair, particularly the tones with more lilac than green in them! I think it might suit you actually, although the colour palette might be a problem. Shame there isn't really a way to test it, since you'd need to bleach it first and there's no going back from that!
Me too. But I didnt't realise about the bleach :s-smilie: Damn. Probably a bad idea.
I'm doing both but it's the lectures I'm worried about. Seminars less so as already have the chosen readings.

As for blue hair, at least people would remember you 'cracking conference paper from girl in blue hair.

I have no idea about lecturing, I'm afraid. Conference speaking experience is probably helpful though. Hmm. I'm not aiming to be remembered. Its just that it looks fun.

I think if it weren't for the colour scheme of your clothes, you could totally rock the blue look :yep: I think it would look good! Not sure how earthy colours would look with blue hair though - will leave those comments to someone with more fashion sense. Or even A fashion sense full stop :biggrin:

Yeh, see things like a red dress with a print, burgandy and olive green are quite common in my wardrobe :frown:
Me too. But I didnt't realise about the bleach :s-smilie: Damn. Probably a bad idea.

I have no idea about lecturing, I'm afraid. Conference speaking experience is probably helpful though. Hmm. I'm not aiming to be remembered. Its just that it looks fun.

Yeh, see things like a red dress with a print, burgandy and olive green are quite common in my wardrobe :frown:

I am just assuming about the bleach since I've never dyed my hair, but since your natural shade is so dark I would imagine you'd need to bleach it before colouring it, or else you wouldn't be able to get a pale shade in the end... I might be wrong though!
Hi GOGs! Sorry to hear that some of you are going through tough times atm. :hugs: to anyone that needs them.

I just got back for a week away on residential with 50 crazy 12 year olds. So many awesome experiences, so much love-life drama. I don't remember ever being this tired before!
Original post by Piggsil
Hi GOGs! Sorry to hear that some of you are going through tough times atm. :hugs: to anyone that needs them.

I just got back for a week away on residential with 50 crazy 12 year olds. So many awesome experiences, so much love-life drama. I don't remember ever being this tired before!

Thanks for the hugs :smile:

Residentials are exhausting, so I don't blame you for feeling that tired! Was it good though?
Original post by Piggsil

Glad it was awesome in some ways, though love-life dramas don't sound good :afraid:

Make sure you rest well now that you're back. Well done for surviving the residential! :h:
Original post by *Interrobang*
Thanks for the hugs :smile:

Residentials are exhausting, so I don't blame you for feeling that tired! Was it good though?

Yes it was fantastic. Loads of small victories for certain pupils, it was so fun seeing them flourish. I climbed up a waterfall!! :biggrin:

Glad it was awesome in some ways, though love-life dramas don't sound good :afraid:

Make sure you rest well now that you're back. Well done for surviving the residential! :h:

Typical teenage stuff (asking out via friends, dumping each other etc etc :p: ) Quite funny really!

I would love royal/navy hair and I think it would suit you. Bleach can be a real killer though, so if you do decide to do it I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. This to me is the holy grail of hair colour: http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=3937.0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Piggsil
Yes it was fantastic. Loads of small victories for certain pupils, it was so fun seeing them flourish. I climbed up a waterfall!! :biggrin:

Typical teenage stuff (asking out via friends, dumping each other etc etc :p: ) Quite funny really!

That's good :smile: Climbing a waterfall sounds awesome!
Original post by Kitty Pimms
I would love royal/navy hair and I think it would suit you. Bleach can be a real killer though, so if you do decide to do it I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. This to me is the holy grail of hair colour: http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=3937.0

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Holly. I suspected you'd have some pearls of wisdom in this department :biggrin:

I'd actually also love my hair dyed grey, but I assume its impossible without it looking like real grey/old hair.
And yes, navy would be fine, but I didn't know that was an option. Thanks for the link!
Reply 9517

You were wearing blue today!!

Can't you get a cheap blue wig from a fancy dress shop and try it out with various things a bit to see? Or even just try it on in the shop to see how it suits your colouring?

I saw a woman in Boots yesterday who had this amazing hair. It was kind of this swirl of brunette, blonde, pink and burgundy. It sounds like it should be horrendous, but it worked beautifully on her.

Had a great day today :smile: got some decent work done, nice walk through Peterhouse and lunch with Craggy, some more work then I decided to go shopping. And because I'm only working for another couple of months before being off for probably at least 8 months, I was only thinking casual not work which was very liberating! Jantaculum, something else you may find amusing when you are here (re your comments about being middle aged) is the different reactions when presenting your student card for a discount! Some shop assistants don't bat an eyelid, others look at you like you must have swiped someone else's card :laugh:
Get back to Oxford, all pumped and ready to start the PhD.

But my (2 month old) iMac has studied it isn't going to turn on anymore...No productivity for me then!

On the plus side, I saw a few college friends graduating today and it was lovely. :biggrin: Surprised the rain managed to stay away for the whole day! I don't have much hope for my own graduation in November...
Original post by llacerta
Get back to Oxford, all pumped and ready to start the PhD.

Woo for PhDness! :rave: :biggrin: :rave:

I love how we're so keen now, when in a few months we'll most likely be tearing our hair out :teehee:

Latest

Trending

Trending