The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education

Hey :smile:
I have a question.
I am from Germany and did my alevels in Germany 2 years ago.
Now I want to apply for some universities in the UK. The problem is my German alevels grade isn't high enough for some unis in England. Therefore I have decided to do an access to higher education course in Humanities.
Its now time to apply for universities and I am wondering how difficult it is to get 30 credits at distinction and 15 credits at merit?
has someone done the Access to HE Course? How was it? I am completely new to all this and just want to know more as it is already the application time

thank you :smile: !!
Original post by newgreenlila
I have a question.
Now I want to apply for some universities in the UK. The problem is my German alevels grade isn't high enough for some unis in England. Therefore I have decided to do an access to higher education course in Humanities.
Its now time to apply for universities and I am wondering how difficult it is to get 30 credits at distinction and 15 credits at merit?
has someone done the Access to HE Course? How was it? I am completely new to all this and just want to know more as it is already the application time

Moved this to the UCAS forum as I think someone should be able to help you here :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by newgreenlila
I have a question.

30 at distinction and 21 at Merit is what I happened to achieve. As for how hard it is depends on the individual and their circumstances.

Personally I didn't find it too challenging, and that was because I lived at home. My mum basically did everything for me, and I spent a lot of hours studying and writing essays. I worked about 18 hours each weekend and that was that. No house work, clothes to wash, kids to look after etc. I knew my offer was 30D/15M and i knew which subjects I needed certain grades in - so I basically coasted when possible, and busted my ass when needed.

Oppositely, people on the course used to work 30+ hours a week, have homes to look after, kids to take care of and it was much harder for them. Those guys mostly hit pass and merit.

My best advice is to really go at it hard as soon as you start. Because its module based, exams and essays start coming at you early. They normally start you on the easier modules so these are your best opportunity to get some easy distinctions. You dont want to miss out on this.

Also, you really need to set out your stall early. Your teachers dont really have much time to get to know you before they have to write your reference. In a not so subtle way I made it clear to them what I expected to achieve and what uni I wanted to go to and that I was determined to go there. They saw I was motivated to do it, and as a result gave me a strong reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending