The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newblood
QS Rankings. I think everyone uses that as the ''main'' league table..so there is. But i am a tad biased since im applying for maths. Prestige wise Oxbridge is oxbridge, but uni rankings tend to put Cam above Oxford for the past few years (though i must add i ignore uni rankings and find them useless considering what they base the rankings on, rankings dont have any indication on which uni is better than another unless theres a big difference)

I think you're mildly deluded about the value of league tables. QS is a prestigious league table but most people in the world - apart from overenthusiastic students - realise that league tables hold very little gravity in the real world, apart from admissions statistics. The fact that QS ranks Cambridge above Oxford tells you bugger all about their undergraduate course since QS ranks universities in terms of the opinions of other academics of that institution, how much of their staff comes from abroad (possibly the reason why UCL is so high), etc... none of these things are particularly important to undergraduates. The fact of the matter is that both Oxford and Cambridge are amazing universities and any differences in quality are going to be subtle and probably negligible. And again, it doesn't explain the massive disparity in population on TSR.
Original post by Chlorophile
I think you're mildly deluded about the value of league tables. QS is a prestigious league table but most people in the world - apart from overenthusiastic students - realise that league tables hold very little gravity in the real world, apart from admissions statistics. The fact that QS ranks Cambridge above Oxford tells you bugger all about their undergraduate course since QS ranks universities in terms of the opinions of other academics of that institution, how much of their staff comes from abroad (possibly the reason why UCL is so high), etc... none of these things are particularly important to undergraduates. The fact of the matter is that both Oxford and Cambridge are amazing universities and any differences in quality are going to be subtle and probably negligible. And again, it doesn't explain the massive disparity in population on TSR.

Did you even read my post. I made it quite clear i dont value league tables, the only reason i mentioned them is because you said league tables disagree with my view even when they don't.

Like I said in my post, you may want to actually read it (!), Oxbridge is oxbridge and youre not going to be disadvantaged going to one over the other. But prestige wise certain courses are more respected at one uni than the other. Justifiably so or not, Cambridge maths is generally regarded as the best place to do maths in the UK if not the world...
Hello there,

If I apply to do an engineering course at Cambridge then is the TSA a must? The website says only certain colleges require their applicants to do the TSA, so does it depend on what college you apply to? If so,then what if I select an open application? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Hello there,

If I apply to do an engineering course at Cambridge then is the TSA a must? The website says only certain colleges require their applicants to do the TSA, so does it depend on what college you apply to? If so,then what if I select an open application? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to this table, only a few colleges use the TSA but most of them have some form of test.
Do all colleges have an option to go self-catered ?
According to this table, only a few colleges use the TSA but most of them have some form of test.

Yep

So if I choose a college that doesn't use the TSA, then I don't need to do the TSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Thanks for the reply :smile:

I guess I'd like a medium-size older college which isn't too deep in the city, open space, maybe a park nearby. Preferably a combination of both catered and self-catered. Also not a high percentage of essay-based subject students, as I wouldn't have much to contribute to in conversations!

Downing - medium sized, out of the way of the city centre but still v close, right opposite the engineering site, large open space in the centre, opposite parkers piece (a park), self catered and catered. subject wise, im sure all colleges are roughly the same! :P
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Yep

So if I choose a college that doesn't use the TSA, then I don't need to do the TSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that table is correct (and for all I know, it might be outdated) then yes. I'm not sure if choosing a college because they don't use TSA is a good idea though. The independent tests of other colleges could be much more difficult.
Original post by willp93
Downing - medium sized, out of the way of the city centre but still v close, right opposite the engineering site, large open space in the centre, opposite parkers piece (a park), self catered and catered. subject wise, im sure all colleges are roughly the same! :P

I quite liked that one, I also liked the look of Pembroke, although not Peterhouse (it came across as a bit elitist to me).
If that table is correct (and for all I know, it might be outdated) then yes. I'm not sure if choosing a college because they don't use TSA is a good idea though. The independent tests of other colleges could be much more difficult.

Hmm. Anyway yes, the TSA seems okay.

Thanks for the replies. :yy:
Anyone from Robinsons or visited on an open day? I was never able to attend one as I'm an EU/International student and the dates never matched up with days I could travel... Could anyone tell me what it's like? Thanks :smile:
Goodluck cambridge applicant.s i am starting at cambridge this year so if anyone has any questions about maths or sidney then im happy to answer :smile:
Reply 8012
I'm in the middle of writing my personal statement, and I was just wondering if I should mention the fact that I won the Peterhouse History Essay? I mean, it's not that relevant to the subject I'm applying for (Medicine) and I don't want to have to fend off questions about why I didn't choose to do the Science Essay instead, but at the same time winning essay competitions - even somewhat unrelated essay competitions - is probably the sort of nerdy thing that might look quite good to admissions tutors. But then again maybe I don't want to look too nerdy? Ugh, personal statements are hard.
Are any of you taking:

Religion + Philosophy
English Literature
Government + Politics

Art and Design
Spanish
Business Studies
English Language

The first list is of A level subjects I have decided on taking, and the second list is of subjects I would be taking purely as a fourth AS level.

Has anyone taken any of these subjects? What do you think of them? Which from the second list do you think I should take?

(I want to do Law at university.)

Any advice/ opinions welcome! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
Are any of you taking:

Religion + Philosophy
English Literature
Government + Politics

Art and Design
Spanish
Business Studies
English Language

The first list is of A level subjects I have decided on taking, and the second list is of subjects I would be taking purely as a fourth AS level.

Has anyone taken any of these subjects? What do you think of them? Which from the second list do you think I should take?

(I want to do Law at university.)

Any advice/ opinions welcome! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to do law at Cambridge I'd suggest Spanish as your AS.

Not the others
How many have already submitted your applications? don't give them to school until 3rd.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any one no anything about Corpus Christi for admissions and selection of students?

Literature here

thanks
Original post by JamesJL
How many have already submitted your applications? don't give them to school until 3rd.

I've submitted it to my referee. She says it should take her around 10 working days to get it done, so I'll see how it goes. How far are you?
Original post by HeavisideDelts
Goodluck cambridge applicant.s i am starting at cambridge this year so if anyone has any questions about maths or sidney then im happy to answer :smile:

good luck to you, too!
Reply 8019
Hello all,

I'm a post A-level applicant.

Course: Geography
College: St Johns
GCSEs: 5 A*s, 5 As, 1 B.
A-levels: 3 A*s in History (92% UMS), Geography (99% UMS) and Biology (86% UMS). Overall UMS average = 92%.
Other: A* in General Studies, Nuffield Science Research Placement, Comenius Project and extra reading.

Is someone planning on making a stalking page like the ones of previous years? With everyone's stats in a big grid?

Latest

Trending

Trending