The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know how much attention imperial pay to GCSEs as my AS grades are much better than my GCSEs but they won't even get to see my ums marks :frown:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 101
Original post by JackTeh96
If I did get in, why not getting a cheaper apartment??
By the way, I want to apply to study medicine in Imperial.
My stats are in my profile, so I am not going to post it here.
Any imperial medics??

The minimum you can get is around 150pw, electricity and water fees not included, and that is in an area far away from where the lectures are held. I'd just end up spending a load of money on transport, which sucks :frown:
Would love to go to Imperial, but doubt I can afford it quite honestly.

Also, have you thought of cambridge? Your UMS marks are insane :O
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by liass
The minimum you can get is around 150pw, electricity and water fees not included, and that is in an area far away from where the lectures are held. I'd just end up spending a load of money on transport, which sucks :frown:
Would love to go to Imperial, but doubt I can afford it quite honestly.

Also, have you thought of cambridge? Your UMS marks are insane :O

My aim is to get into Cambridge first!!!! what about you?
Hello. I'm interested in applying at Imperial at Maths&Computing. I have taken Cambridge Advanced Exam with B. Do I have to take It again for an A or Ielts? And if yes, before I apply or is it ok also after(like a requirement if they call me for an interview)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, so at AS I have AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively with an A* achieved in EPQ. Predictions are A*A* in Maths and Further Maths with an A*/A in Chemistry (Chemistry is still being decided). I was initially on planning for an applied maths degree however had a change of heart and want to apply for Chemical Engineering instead. However, after AS results I dropped physics and school are not letting me pick it up- I was thinking of retaking it for an A at AS anyways. Do you think it's worth applying to Imperial for Chem Eng? I know predictions are fine and they do only want Maths and Chemistry as mandatory but I'm not sure how having dropped physics will look especially since a lot of people with this combo who apply keep all 4.
Original post by adorablegirl1202
Hey, so at AS I have AAAB in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively with an A* achieved in EPQ. Predictions are A*A* in Maths and Further Maths with an A*/A in Chemistry (Chemistry is still being decided). I was initially on planning for an applied maths degree however had a change of heart and want to apply for Chemical Engineering instead. However, after AS results I dropped physics and school are not letting me pick it up- I was thinking of retaking it for an A at AS anyways. Do you think it's worth applying to Imperial for Chem Eng? I know predictions are fine and they do only want Maths and Chemistry as mandatory but I'm not sure how having dropped physics will look especially since a lot of people with this combo who apply keep all 4.

Personally, I am applying with Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Applied ICT and English with grades AAAAB respectively. Only taking the first three to A2 plus self-teaching the full Economics A level. This means I'm doing 4 subjects out of those they recommend. Beg your school to allow you to take Physics. Get on your knees and cry for them to allow you. My school doesn't offer Further Maths, but they might hire a tutor for me to do the subject.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Personally, I am applying with Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Applied ICT and English with grades AAAAB respectively. Only taking the first three to A2 plus self-teaching the full Economics A level. This means I'm doing 4 subjects out of those they recommend. Beg your school to allow you to take Physics. Get on your knees and cry for them to allow you. My school doesn't offer Further Maths, but they might hire a tutor for me to do the subject.

Ah cool, you're also applying for Chem Eng? Where else are you planning on applying? What are your predictions like? Yeah your A-Levels sound really good for them. I think I am going to try to need to do more persuading, they aren't budging because I haven't been to a couple of weeks worth of lessons and are like now it's too late but I will still try.
Ah cool, you're also applying for Chem Eng? Where else are you planning on applying? What are your predictions like? Yeah your A-Levels sound really good for them. I think I am going to try to need to do more persuading, they aren't budging because I haven't been to a couple of weeks worth of lessons and are like now it's too late but I will still try.

Yes! Chemical Engineering. I am applying to Chemical Engineering and Chemical with Nuclear Engineering at Imperial, Chemical Engineering at UCL, Chemical Engineering (via Natural Sciences) at Cambridge and Chemical Engineering at Manchester! How about you?
Yes! Chemical Engineering. I am applying to Chemical Engineering and Chemical with Nuclear Engineering at Imperial, Chemical Engineering at UCL, Chemical Engineering (via Natural Sciences) at Cambridge and Chemical Engineering at Manchester! How about you?
Is your first choice Cambridge in the ideal world or Imperial? Won't Chemical Engineering and Chemical with Nuclear Engineering be perceived by the same department- or is it looked separately? Imperial, UCL, Bath and Manchester and fifth is still pending.
Is your first choice Cambridge in the ideal world or Imperial? Won't Chemical Engineering and Chemical with Nuclear Engineering be perceived by the same department- or is it looked separately? Imperial, UCL, Bath and Manchester and fifth is still pending.

Very similar choices then! I don't know.
If I got accepted by both (highly unlikely but of dreams one lives) I would probably choose Cambridge as firm and UCL as insurance. That, baby, is the dream. (Although I wouldn't be unhappy to say YES to Imperial as a firm).
Very similar choices then! I don't know.
If I got accepted by both (highly unlikely but of dreams one lives) I would probably choose Cambridge as firm and UCL as insurance. That, baby, is the dream. (Although I wouldn't be unhappy to say YES to Imperial as a firm).

Yes, I was thinking that! It would be cool to keep in touch every now and then over the application process :smile: Nicee, well I hope the application process works in your favour! Out of interest which college were you thinking?
Yes, I was thinking that! It would be cool to keep in touch every now and then over the application process :smile: Nicee, well I hope the application process works in your favour! Out of interest which college were you thinking?

I was choosing between Churchill and Queens, but I'm going for Churchill in the end :biggrin:
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Do you know how expensive it is to go out and buy food for breakfast/lunch/dinner everyday compared to meal plans at other unis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Reply 113
Original post by JackTeh96
My aim is to get into Cambridge first!!!! what about you?

Yes me too, Cambridge is so beautiful, I really like the medical course and the student accommodation is really cheap!

Also, might sound a little stuck up, but it would be nice to be in a place where your intellectual ability is appreciated and not made fun of.

I do love Imperial too though, so Im going to wait and see which one I get into (if I dont mess up my BMAT) before deciding
At the open day right now, really impressed with the staff and some of the student projects! Lovely buildings too :smile:
Original post by Iridann
At the open day right now, really impressed with the staff and some of the student projects! Lovely buildings too :smile:

What course are you applying for?
Original post by halalsushi
What course are you applying for?

MEng Computing

How about you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I am doing IB in Norway and want to apply to Mech Eng in Imperial College. I would like to know whether it is realistic or am I dreaming. Here are my predicted grades:

Total 41/45

Higher Level: Maths, Physics, Chemistry 7, 7,7
Standard Level: English A, Norwegian B, Economics, 6, 6, 7

For TOK and EE, our school predicts 1 out of 3 for everybody.

I have a genuine interest in maths and physics but I am not sure whether this translates into interest for mechanical engineering. I have no work experience whatsoever, and have weak extracurricular activities (just some football, cricket and model united nations debate in school).

My personal statement is decent, but does not give enough evidence for my interests because I have not taken part in any science competitions or Olympiads etc. (I have written about extra reading and some simple devices I have made at home such as a gravity car and catapult)

Do you think I stand a chance?

Thanks
Original post by ankur_sharam309
Hi everyone,

I am doing IB in Norway and want to apply to Mech Eng in Imperial College. I would like to know whether it is realistic or am I dreaming. Here are my predicted grades:

Total 41/45

Higher Level: Maths, Physics, Chemistry 7, 7,7
Standard Level: English A, Norwegian B, Economics, 6, 6, 7

For TOK and EE, our school predicts 1 out of 3 for everybody.

I have a genuine interest in maths and physics but I am not sure whether this translates into interest for mechanical engineering. I have no work experience whatsoever, and have weak extracurricular activities (just some football, cricket and model united nations debate in school).

My personal statement is decent, but does not give enough evidence for my interests because I have not taken part in any science competitions or Olympiads etc. (I have written about extra reading and some simple devices I have made at home such as a gravity car and catapult)

Do you think I stand a chance?

Thanks

You definitely stand a strong chance of admission, even more so once you manage to gather some work experience.

I am in a similar situation with you as I too am applying to Imperial from a Nordic country (Finland), albeit for aeronautical eng. Moreover, I don't have tonnes of work experience either. I'm, however, applying with my grades in knowing due to the fact that I've already graduated (duh uh) from the IB but currently doing my compulsory military service.

A very convenient and interesting means of showing your interest is attending (either live or recorded) online lectures offered by many American unis. For instance, I've just begun watching a 22 "episode" lecture series by MIT on the NASA space shuttle programme and the basic physics behind it.

MIT, for instance, lists its online course on MITopenCourseware.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by valaistunut
You definitely stand a strong chance of admission, even more so once you manage to gather some work experience.

I am in a similar situation with you as I too am applying to Imperial from a Nordic country (Finland), albeit for aeronautical eng. Moreover, I don't have tonnes of work experience either. I'm, however, applying with my grades in knowing due to the fact that I've already graduated (duh uh) from the IB but currently doing my compulsory military service.

A very convenient and interesting means of showing your interest is attending (either live or recorded) online lectures offered by many American unis. For instance, I've just begun watching a 22 "episode" lecture series by MIT on the NASA space shuttle programme and the basic physics behind it.

MIT, for instance, lists its online course on MITopenCourseware.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the suggestion. I really like the idea of watching recorded online lectures. I remember watching a very interesting physics lecture online a year ago from a really interesting professor (I think he was from MIT or Harvard) who was showing the practical use of theory during the lecture by doing simple demonstrations. So I will definitely like to watch more of these lectures and put that into my PS.

By the way, do you mind sharing your grades? Just curious.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending