The Student Room Group

Hours per day in sixth form?

I have a few questions as I am interested in how many hours people are putting in.

How many hours do you put in after school?
What time do you start and finish your school work?
How much do you do on the weekend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i put in about 1 hour a day after school of revision, plus about 1 hour of homework (if i have any)
i start at 5:30 (when i get home) and end at 7:30
i do none on the weekend and i am about 4 lessons ahead of the rest of my class in each subject (bio, chem, phys, maths mechanics)
Reply 2
Original post by kelefi
i put in about 1 hour a day after school of revision, plus about 1 hour of homework (if i have any)
i start at 5:30 (when i get home) and end at 7:30
i do none on the weekend and i am about 4 lessons ahead of the rest of my class in each subject (bio, chem, phys, maths mechanics)

what are you hoping to get at AS?
I often only do enough to finish my homework and read ahead for Biology, so rarely more than ninety minutes worth of work (and how my A2 timetable has fallen I can often just do this in my frees).

In AS, after about April I was doing four hours after school, homework + revision. I also often did 40-50 minutes before my first lesson (I'd come into school earlier).

Weekend, I only finish homework if I need to. AS, after April I'd put in two/three hours on Saturday, maybe four/five on Sunday.

As I got closer to AS exams (mid-May time) though, I was probably getting about six hours after school, homework + revision, and just over an hour before my first lesson.
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
I often only do enough to finish my homework and read ahead for Biology, so rarely more than ninety minutes worth of work (and how my A2 timetable has fallen I can often just do this in my frees).

In AS, after about April I was doing four hours after school, homework + revision. I also often did 40-50 minutes before my first lesson (I'd come into school earlier).

Weekend, I only finish homework if I need to. AS, after April I'd put in two/three hours on Saturday, maybe four/five on Sunday.

As I got closer to AS exams (mid-May time) though, I was probably getting about six hours after school, homework + revision, and just over an hour before my first lesson.

Did the work pay off?
Reply 5
im planning on getting AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* at A2 (planning on continuing all 4 onto a2). my revision methods are different as i memorise quickly so ~15mins is all i spend on each topic.

how much work are you doing now?
Original post by GoldGhost
I have a few questions as I am interested in how many hours people are putting in.

How many hours do you put in after school?
What time do you start and finish your school work?
How much do you do on the weekend?

Hours per week at college - 20 (5 hours per subject)

Hours put in after school - Not much except homework since I have so many frees and early finishes, also not doing much work right now since just started

Time start and finish - It fluctuates since sometimes I only work at college sometimes only at home. I usually also have breaks in between. Some days I can have loads of English work and start at 4pm and finish around 8/9pm and others I can have no work at all!

Weekend - I do a lot of homework and assignments during the weekend
Did the work pay off?

Yeah, it did! I got better grades than expected, so I can apply to a couple of higher-end unis than I had thought of before because my predicted grades are higher that I thought they'd be.

Honestly though, whilst working a lot (more than homework and flicking through the textbook to count as reading ahead) at the beginning of the year seems good, it isn't really necessary. Leave a couple of months before the beginning of exams to start revision, and you'll be fine.
Reply 8
Working in every free doing coursework/notes/research
Roughly 2 hours each evening doing homework
2 or 3 hours on Saturday for coursework or revision
4-5 hours on Sunday for revision!

This increased in March to 4 and 6 hours at the weekend and in April and May I revised on weekday nights too and did home work in frees/lunch times
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by emmakid
Working in every free doing coursework/notes/research
Roughly 2 hours each evening doing homework
2 or 3 hours on Saturday for coursework or revision
4-5 hoyrson Sunday for revision!

Awesome, are you in AS or A2?
Reply 10
Awesome, are you in AS or A2?

A2
That strategy got me ABB at AS :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by emmakid
A2
That strategy got me ABB at AS :smile:

Thankyou, what subjects are you taking?
Reply 12
Thankyou, what subjects are you taking?

Health and social
Travel and tourism
German <-- 70% of time spent on this one

What do you take?
Reply 13
Original post by emmakid
Health and social
Travel and tourism
German <-- 70% of time spent on this one

How are you finding German? I am thinking of self studying.
Reply 14
How are you finding German? I am thinking of self studying.

German is difficult and so time consuming but I do like it!
AS was good, loved learning the grammar but hated essays.
A2 looks ok, a bit boring and more essays :frown:

Self studying would be hard but useful in the future
AQA is a good exam board with a good textbook and grammar one
For AS, I used slow German. Com which had podcasts on all the AS topics to practise!
I'm an A2 student doing Bio, Chem, Psychology (dropped Physics) - I study through my free periods, which are 1 hour 40 minutes, and I usually have 2 a day. I usually use these for homework and then do extra notes/revision at home as I can concentrate better there. At home I work 4.30-5.30, break for dinner and then work 6.00-8.30 ish. I don't do anything on Saturdays as I do my volunteering stuff, and then on a Sunday I'll study in the afternoon, usually 2-6 ish.

This may seem excessive but I did the same last year and came out with AAAA so I'm not changing anything!! I did this continuously throughout last year, so I didn't have to ramp it up nearer to exam time particularly as I felt like this would just stress me out. By doing this I had covered and learned all my material by mid April, giving me time to work on exam technique, arguably the most important part!

:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by MollyMcFly1
I'm an A2 student doing Bio, Chem, Psychology (dropped Physics) - I study through my free periods, which are 1 hour 40 minutes, and I usually have 2 a day. I usually use these for homework and then do extra notes/revision at home as I can concentrate better there. At home I work 4.30-5.30, break for dinner and then work 6.00-8.30 ish. I don't do anything on Saturdays as I do my volunteering stuff, and then on a Sunday I'll study in the afternoon, usually 2-6 ish.

This may seem excessive but I did the same last year and came out with AAAA so I'm not changing anything!! I did this continuously throughout last year, so I didn't have to ramp it up nearer to exam time particularly as I felt like this would just stress me out. By doing this I had covered and learned all my material by mid April, giving me time to work on exam technique, arguably the most important part!

:smile:

I admire your dedication, did you start working this hard from day 1? You've motivated me to put in more hours. I do around 1 or 2 a day at school and a couple when I get home.
Reply 17
I work throughout pretty much all my frees between lessons, which adds up to about 8 hours a week, then I usually finish any other homework at the weekend, which may take about 3 hours depending on how much I have. I haven't started revising yet but when I do the hours will obviously increase.
I never have a set time to spend working. I like to put more emphasis on tangible goals such as understanding and performance than on time. I spend as long as it takes to fully understand what I have learnt that day. On weekends I will revisit material from throughout the week to make sure It hasn't leaked out of my brain as it usually does :smile:
I admire your dedication, did you start working this hard from day 1? You've motivated me to put in more hours. I do around 1 or 2 a day at school and a couple when I get home.

Yeah I did if I'm honest - want to make sure that I've done everything I can possibly do to get those grades for Medicind. Then if it doesn't work out I really did do my best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest