The Student Room Group

Do girls grow up thinking hitting men is OK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by yo radical one
Men are bigger, physically stronger and should just act differently to women

If you don't like it, get a sex-change or piss off and live in a cave.

why 'should' we? why are we obliged to do so?

I've since resolved it but an earlier poster who said 'I think if your woman slaps you you should take it like a man and quite whining' really disgusted me for reasons mentioned by Obidobi. Granted we both went to the extreme (serious domestic violence against men).
Ooh ....get you butch
Shaming language... how novel
Please stop 😭
Reply 42
Here's a better question; would you consider it OK for your SO to commit Battery on you by virtue of her being a woman?

Would you consider it OK for her to slap you?

I am tempted to say I would be OK with her slapping me, especially if I was working out and obviously stronger, in rare circumstances-but hitting me, no. And I am already pissed off by a local woman who got acquitted after stabbing a man with a glass bottle because she was considered attractive. That says a lot about society.
Original post by obidobi
In a separate investigation, she tested two separate groups of children in
maths, reading and writing. The first group was told that boys do not perform as well as girls, but the
other was not.

Boys in the first group performed "significantly worse" than in the second
group

She also warns against the use of phrases such as "silly boys" and "school boy
pranks" or teachers asking "why can't you sit nicely like the girls?"

I think it's safe to assume that this is exactly the reason why men and boys are falling behind women in the west. Is a matriarchy on its way?
Reply 44
I support gay rights and votes for women, so I am far from some unrefined blokish man who drinks strongbow and reads The Sun, but you must be blind if you think that men and women are the same.

Women should not be allowed anywhere near a front line unless there are literally not enough man to defend a country after conscription has been implemented

Police officers are fine as men are apparently less likely to be aggressive towards women, so it could actually work in their favor

Firefighters, preferably not, you do need to be strong enough to hold another person over your head and move quickly with them in conditions where there is little oxygen...

Er yes

He needs to hit the gym if he has that problem

Usually we are good TSR buddies, but…what???
Original post by obidobi
Because men see the same movies and grow up in the same society with the same beliefs and norms. So they learn to put up and shut up, to ''be a man''. And I'm not simply talking about random happy slaps, women injure men all the time especially when using objects. How many articles have there been about ''woman glasses man on night out, gets ridiculous sentence if any at all''? The fact that men are stronger is irrelevant since they are not allowed to fight back anyway. Even if a man hit a woman with less than his full potential (female strength levels) he'd still be crucified. Parents or society never taught me that if I see one of the Klitschko brothers on the street I can take a swing at him cause he shouldn't fight back, being oh so strong. Boys get the ''you never hit a girl'' rule drilled into their heads from the moment they can understand spoken language, how about we do the same for girls?

Okay, where I grew up, I have been told, it is not okay, no matter which gender you have.

Nevertheless a lot of people don't think women would be able to hurt someone (in my personal opinion, as soon as somebody is really violent by his "nature", the rage will make him extremely dangerous, no matter child, women, cripple or men). (Children are different, they are still learning.) Generally I think it is still the "you don't hit somebody weaker"-rule, who plays in.

Nevertheless that "giving men the right to have feelings, too" is a huge part of modern feminism, so it is not, that you won't find support by a lot of persons currently involved in the women right's movement.

I also think, one has to differentiate between two problems:
a) Some cultures and traditions see it as normal acceptable behaviour to treat women as second class/slave/etc.
b) Women are not angels and men should not have to feel ashamed, when they want to undertake legal action or have to protect themselves and e.g. their children.

I think I have to stop now, because I have not the time seeing it is a really hard topic, concerning presenting arguments.
It's no secret that women can get away with murder.

No wonder they think it's ok to hit men, they could murder their husband and/or child and get off on a lighter sentence!
Reply 47
Original post by whatsaapppp
I think it's safe to assume that this is exactly the reason why men and boys are falling behind women in the west. Is a matriarchy on its way?

It's been here for decades in many ways. Modern western society mainly functions for the benefit of women and children. Feminists see politicians and CEO's and think that's patriarchy when the average guy on the street has nothing in common with them whatsoever. Like seeing US singers and atheltes and thinking ''wow, black people have it good in the US''. The average woman is much more privileged that the average man in so many ways it's not even funny. She benefits much more from the welfare system, public health care, student loans, education, quotas, social norms, civil and criminal courts, scholarships, lower standards, societal expectations, choice in terms of working or not, don't need to achieve wealth or status on your own... it's almost like being born with superpowers. Yes there are downsides but it's not even close.
Reply 48
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9930142/Women-hitting-your-man-is-not-cute-its-abuse.html

worthy article. Again Not All Women Are Like That. Shame nobody responded to her article in the Comments section :/
Original post by Riku
Usually we are good TSR buddies, but…what???

I like you, but the medicine is bitter.

You can complain all day about men and women being held to different standards, complain that women have it easier, or you can accept things for how they are and try to improve your position within that framework. I guarantee you will be much happier.

Woman don't have all the privileges, look how much more respect and admiration a guy who had sex a lot gets, compared with a woman. Not just that, I see it a lot in my life, girls who are not very pretty, do get treated really badly by men, even if they are really intelligent and have loads of other positives they will just be overlooked as people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
I like you, but the medicine is bitter.

You can complain all day about men and women being held to different standards, complain that women have it easier, or you can accept things for how they are and try to improve your position within that framework. I guarantee you will be much happier.

Woman don't have all the privileges, look how much more respect and admiration a guy who had sex a lot gets, compare with a woman...

too much RedPill bro

As a guy who doesn't get sex a lot, and doesn't want to risk emotional attachment from sex with multiple partners and avoids one night stands, such a privilege is useless to me.
Original post by Riku
too much RedPill bro

As a guy who doesn't get sex a lot, and doesn't want to risk emotional attachment from sex with multiple partners and avoids one night stands, such a privilege is useless to me.

I didn't mean "medicine" in a redpill way, see my edit. I don't think women get all the privileges at all.
Reply 52
Original post by Riku
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9930142/Women-hitting-your-man-is-not-cute-its-abuse.html

worthy article. Again Not All Women Are Like That. Shame nobody responded to her article in the Comments section :/

A new US survey indicates that young women are three times as likely to admit hitting their partner than men

I didn't know it was that bad. Although I'm not surprised.
Reply 53
I support gay rights and votes for women, so I am far from some unrefined blokish man who drinks strongbow and reads The Sun, but you must be blind if you think that men and women are the same.

Women should not be allowed anywhere near a front line unless there are literally not enough man to defend a country after conscription has been implemented

Police officers are fine as men are apparently less likely to be aggressive towards women, so it could actually work in their favor

Firefighters, preferably not, you do need to be strong enough to hold another person over your head and move quickly with them in conditions where there is little oxygen...

Er yes

He needs to hit the gym if he has that problem.

Based on what you said in the bold. Why should women have the same rights as men when they don't have the same responsibilities as men and they're not as capable? That doesn't sound like equality to me, more like a privileged group.
Original post by puma21
Based on what you said in the bold. Why should women have the same rights as men when they don't have the same responsibilities as men and they're not as capable? That doesn't sound like equality to me, more like a privileged group.

Men get other privileges, for instance, nobody cares if a man is a player whereas a woman will be called a slut etc
Reply 55
Men get other privileges, for instance, nobody cares if a man is a player whereas a woman will be called a slut etc

A male being a player and a female being a slut is because we are not the same, it's no double standard. It's pretty hard work to be a player whilst being a slut is easy. You can be fat, ugly and have very few redeeming qualities and still have a lot of sex as a women.

Lets also take another look at that male privilege.

untitled_cd758b_5103138.jpg
I've never been hit by a women.

You also can not fit everyone into some well defined gender binary... People are more complicated than that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by obidobi
It's been here for decades in many ways. Modern western society mainly functions for the benefit of women and children. Feminists see politicians and CEO's and think that's patriarchy when the average guy on the street has nothing in common with them whatsoever. Like seeing US singers and atheltes and thinking ''wow, black people have it good in the US''. The average woman is much more privileged that the average man in so many ways it's not even funny. She benefits much more from the welfare system, public health care, student loans, education, quotas, social norms, civil and criminal courts, scholarships, lower standards, societal expectations, choice in terms of working or not, don't need to achieve wealth or status on your own... it's almost like being born with superpowers. Yes there are downsides but it's not even close.
Agreed. Too much positive discrimination for women and demonizing of men. I wouldn't be worried if there were any real men left..... but the problem is that most men today are single mother household manginas.

Original post by Riku

40 years of freedom and positive discrimination.... look at what's happened!

Whilst there is a sense to that, women wouldn't even have the vote if everyone just adhered to it. Or people who don't own property wouldn't have the vote, and so on.

Although in this situation Riki should listen to your advice.
Reply 59
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I've never been hit by a women.

You also can not fit everyone into some well defined gender binary... People are more complicated than that.

yep, some change their gender sig every other day :wink:

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Whilst there is a sense to that, women wouldn't even have the vote if everyone just adhered to it. Or people who don't own property wouldn't have the vote, and so on.

Although in this situation Riki should listen to your advice.

what?

It's not that I'm going to sit and do nothing all day because the system is ****ed but seems as though I am in therapy because of grievances with the system it would be good for me to find somebody who understands its impact and won't judge me for it.

Quick Reply