Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Sohaila14
Thanks for that! And no Dw your only trying to help me out :smile:
And yeah I'm totally aware of it as I've checked through the course structure and spoke to many career advisors who have studied the course and are now working in the same field area. So ofc it's important to understand what the course is going to bring to you and how you cope with it.
But thank you once again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fantastic, I'm glad to hear it. :biggrin: It's just that, especially as a Student Ambassador, you can imagine how many people come to visit the department and are a bit naive of the course. It sounds like you know what you're talking about though, so good stuff and good luck- I hope they give you a positive reply!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by embo1209
How easy is it for someone not doing music to get involved in the orchestra and other musical activities?? and how??

Can you learn how to play a musical instrument?
Reply 142
Hello everyone :biggrin:

I've read the FAQ; However I've some doubts. Sorry if they can be stupid, but I am foreign and it's different from my country.

1) I should buy the flight tickets and I have to choose the time to come back in Christmas. Checking the dates of term (http://www.rhul.ac.uk/aboutus/collegecalendar/home.aspx), I saw that the first term finish on December 13th and the second period start on January 13th, Is it means that we have one month of vacations :colone:?

2) I've a place in Penrose accommodation. I am allowed to arrive on September 22th and the University starts on September 23th. I've never been in RHUL and I don't know anything in that place. Can be a good idea arrive early and stay a few days in a hotel? At the same time, I've read that the real day that the master start is September 30th... then the first week :confused:

Thank you!!

PD: I am a MSc in Security Information student :frown:
Reply 143
Original post by g0su
Hello everyone :biggrin:

I've read the FAQ; However I've some doubts. Sorry if they can be stupid, but I am foreign and it's different from my country.

1) I should buy the flight tickets and I have to choose the time to come back in Christmas. Checking the dates of term (http://www.rhul.ac.uk/aboutus/collegecalendar/home.aspx), I saw that the first term finish on December 13th and the second period start on January 13th, Is it means that we have one month of vacations :colone:?

2) I've a place in Penrose accommodation. I am allowed to arrive on September 22th and the University starts on September 23th. I've never been in RHUL and I don't know anything in that place. Can be a good idea arrive early and stay a few days in a hotel? At the same time, I've read that the real day that the master start is September 30th... then the first week :confused:

Thank you!!

PD: I am a MSc in Security Information student :frown:

Hi! I'm an international student, but an undergraduate. I'm not certain if you were offered this, but I was when I was accepted last year. It's the free pick-up service from Royal Holloway on the 21st and 22nd of September.

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/international/afterapplying/pre-departureadvice/freeairportcollection.aspx

If you do decide to come another time, there is are two buses from Heathrow (Terminal 5 or Central Bus Station; one doesn't pick up from CBS) to Royal Holloway. A taxi from LHR costs around £20. From which country are you arriving from? Some airlines don't follow the 'Return trip is cheaper than a one-way' model, but just charge per one-way. Further, if you are not certain when you wish to return home, you can book a 'flexible' ticket, that allows you to change, or a book a non-flex return ticket, and throw away the return part (you can play with the dates; tuesday/wednesday are always cheap days).

As for term dates, you may still be given work to complete over the holiday period.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by burbach
Hi! I'm an international student, but an undergraduate. I'm not certain if you were offered this, but I was when I was accepted last year. It's the free pick-up service from Royal Holloway on the 21st and 22nd of September.

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/international/afterapplying/pre-departureadvice/freeairportcollection.aspx

If you do decide to come another time, there is are two buses from Heathrow (Terminal 5 or Central Bus Station; one doesn't pick up from CBS) to Royal Holloway. A taxi from LHR costs around £20. From which country are you arriving from? Some airlines don't follow the 'Return trip is cheaper than a one-way' model, but just charge per one-way. Further, if you are not certain when you wish to return home, you can book a 'flexible' ticket, that allows you to change, or a book a non-flex return ticket, and throw away the return part (you can play with the dates; tuesday/wednesday are always cheap days).

As for term dates, you may still be given work to complete over the holiday period.

Thank you for your answer. I am from Spain. I found a flight that left from my city to Gatwick and it costs 184€ with one suitcase (20Kg). Upgrading to 32Kg costs 108€ more. I am thinking about sending one suitcase by post jajaja.

And how about arriving few days earlier to the university? Is the first week a introduction to the university or we have regular class? :confused:

Thank you :colondollar:
Reply 145
Original post by g0su
Thank you for your answer. I am from Spain. I found a flight that left from my city to Gatwick and it costs 184€ with one suitcase (20Kg). Upgrading to 32Kg costs 108€ more. I am thinking about sending one suitcase by post jajaja.

And how about arriving few days earlier to the university? Is the first week a introduction to the university or we have regular class? :confused:

Thank you :colondollar:

Yes, the first week is the induction week, as the term/teaching begins on the 30th.
Quick Question please help!

Planning on taking a tv in Butler, do they have an Ariel socket or will I need to bring my own one?

Thankyou!
Reply 147
On the website it says that all the halls have wireless and wired internet in the rooms- is this true? :smile:
Original post by skd1996
On the website it says that all the halls have wireless and wired internet in the rooms- is this true? :smile:

It is indeed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
Hi everyone.

I'm an international phd candidate. May i know when the terms starts for phd 2014?
Huhu i haven't start looking for a supervisor yet. My research area is in cloud computing security, anyone have any names of potential supervisors that might have the same interest with me.

I am an international student and I will begin the foundation programme in January 2014, and then start my degree September 2014. I was wondering if I am allowed to participate in the clubs and sports while I am in the foundation programme? Or am I not really considered a student at RHUL until I start my degree in September?
Reply 151
Original post by Matildaxoxo
I am an international student and I will begin the foundation programme in January 2014, and then start my degree September 2014. I was wondering if I am allowed to participate in the clubs and sports while I am in the foundation programme? Or am I not really considered a student at RHUL until I start my degree in September?

It's fine for you to take part in on-campus activities like sports and societies even when in the foundation programme.
Hello everyone!!
I am going to start my studies in September 2014 and I have to make a decision about my accommodation! Is it better for me living in a catered pay-as-you-go hall or a self-catered one? Is it more expensive living in a self-catered hall (because of the food cost i mean)?
Reply 153
Original post by blueprincess
Hello everyone!!
I am going to start my studies in September 2014 and I have to make a decision about my accommodation! Is it better for me living in a catered pay-as-you-go hall or a self-catered one? Is it more expensive living in a self-catered hall (because of the food cost i mean)?

It depends exactly which halls you end up in, but the catered ones are generally cheaper. However, this is because they (at least, the ones on campus) only have 30 week lets, so you have to move out at Christmas and Easter. Also, you still have to pay for food even if you're catered- you just get half price off the food. So in terms of how much money you spend on food, it's actually easier to spend less in a self-catered residence if you're good at budgeting.
Reply 154
Original post by vader9280
I am going to be in Founders. Do you think I'll be allowed to cook some stuff if I want to, once in a while (in the other halls)? If not, are we allowed to get an induction cooker and use it in our rooms? I don't think I would want to cook more than twice a week, but I want the option to be always open.

If you have friends who live elsewhere, you can ask them if you could use their kitchens- this is what I did when I was a finalist living in Reid. But there's no way for you to get access to the kitchens in other halls otherwise. You won't be allowed a cooker in your room, but the pantries in Founder's come with a microwave if you want to heat up simple meals. Ultimately, however, it's those who live in self-catered who have the option, so to speak- unfortunately in catered halls, the expectation is that those living there will eat in hall the vast majority of the time.
Original post by vader9280
I am going to be in Founders. Do you think I'll be allowed to cook some stuff if I want to, once in a while (in the other halls)? If not, are we allowed to get an induction cooker and use it in our rooms? I don't think I would want to cook more than twice a week, but I want the option to be always open.

OK, the short answer is "no"...but mostly cos you won't have access to the other halls unless one of the residents lets you in. And you definitely won't be allowed to have/use an induction cooker - remember that Founders is one of the most flammable buildings in Surrey if not the UK.

The pantries in Founders do have microwaves and toasters, so you can cook some things.
Reply 156
Any idea when the insurance applicants will hear back about accommodation? I applied on results day mornining when I found out I was going, haven't really heard much since,all it says is that its been submitted
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Royal Holloway connect page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
when do rhul normally send their offers? I'm applying for a Bsc in economics
Original post by Anonymous 14
when do rhul normally send their offers? I'm applying for a Bsc in economics

Hi,

It's great to hear that you're applying for our BSc Economics course!

In terms of sending out offers, we don't have a set day on which we do this. It depends how many applications we are receiving, but we aim to reply to all applications within a month of receiving them.

If you have any further questions, I'll be here to answer them.

I hope this helps,

Katie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending