The Student Room Group

The Shield TV Show!

Anyone else that absolutely LOVED this show?
Just finished watching it this week. One of the best I've ever seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/
It was a very good show. It's one of my favourite, and I'd say it's up there with Dexter and Breaking Bad for me. The ending to The Shield is the best ending I've seen.
Reply 2
It's better then Dexter. And it's better then The Wire for me but that's personal preference. Vic Mackey is the greatest anti-hero in TV.
Reply 3
Original post by Eloades11
It was a very good show. It's one of my favourite, and I'd say it's up there with Dexter and Breaking Bad for me. The ending to The Shield is the best ending I've seen.

Yeah it's right on par with the very best like Breaking Bad. A real gem. Should have got far more fame than it has. The ending was a complete shocker!

Original post by Deshi
It's better then Dexter. And it's better then The Wire for me but that's personal preference. Vic Mackey is the greatest anti-hero in TV.

I have only seen some of The Wire, but it seemed excellent. I feel compelled to finish it, as 'McNulty' went to the same school as I did. The Shield just seemed like The Wire but on steroids.
I can't imagine a greater anti-hero than Vic. I am still astonished at his acting, and that of quite a lot of the cast. Was practically flawless.
Shame about Michael Jace (Julien), murdering his wife irl and all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hellodave5
Yeah it's right on par with the very best like Breaking Bad. A real gem. Should have got far more fame than it has. The ending was a complete shocker!

I agree, another show I think hasn't got enough fame is Oz. Oz and The Shield are two brilliant shows, which most people I've asked about haven't heard of :frown:
Reply 5
I agree, another show I think hasn't got enough fame is Oz. Oz and The Shield are two brilliant shows, which most people I've asked about haven't heard of :frown:

I think I may have to give that a look.

I will be ready for my conquest as a professional criminal by the time I have seen all of these crime shows ^.^
Reply 6
I have only seen some of The Wire, but it seemed excellent. I feel compelled to finish it, as 'McNulty' went to the same school as I did. The Shield just seemed like The Wire but on steroids.
I can't imagine a greater anti-hero than Vic. I am still astonished at his acting, and that of quite a lot of the cast. Was practically flawless.
Shame about Michael Jace (Julien), murdering his wife irl and all.

I think people will find it hard to watch The Wire and doubt it's quality from a technical perspective, great writing/directing/acting etc, but it just never dragged me in, it took me over a year to finish The Wire. Your description of The Shield is spot-on, it's unrealistic and a lot more over the top compared to The Wire but it makes it entertaining as hell. It has some of the most compelling characters in TV history in Vic Mackey and Shane.

What did you think of the idea of one of the final scenes showcasing Dutch to be a serial killer? I think it would have been crazy if that happened in the finale.

Yeah it was a shame to hear to hear about that, what an absolute prick.
I think I may have to give that a look.

I will be ready for my conquest as a professional criminal by the time I have seen all of these crime shows ^.^

I'd recommend it, but it's not a crime show... More of a drama, where most of the actors are criminals :tongue:

I know how you feel. I'd say I'm one show away from making my own meth lab :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Deshi
I think people will find it hard to watch The Wire and doubt it's quality from a technical perspective, great writing/directing/acting etc, but it just never dragged me in, it took me over a year to finish The Wire. Your description of The Shield is spot-on, it's unrealistic and a lot more over the top compared to The Wire but it makes it entertaining as hell. It has some of the most compelling characters in TV history in Vic Mackey and Shane.

What did you think of the idea of one of the final scenes showcasing Dutch to be a serial killer? I think it would have been crazy if that happened in the finale.

Yeah it was a shame to hear to hear about that, what an absolute prick.

That idea of Dutch would have been the mightiest WTF in all of TV history, haha. But it would make some sense, with framing things in that sort of context with the murdered... cat :P

Yeah The Wire is supposed to be amazing. Only watched about 5 episodes in, so I haven't seen much really. I will definitely give it another shot sometime soon though.

I didn't think that The Shield was too unrealistic. It always remained very plausible. We know it can happen too... as it's based on a true story (Rampart scandal in LA).

All of the strike team were epic, Vic and Shane (I never knew they were such brilliant actors - only seeing them in odd things before seeing The Shield). All of them just had a sort of good chemistry. The detectives were epic too, and particularly Aceveda... and Billings (and so forth :tongue:) was brought in really well.
Reply 9
I'd recommend it, but it's not a crime show... More of a drama, where most of the actors are criminals :tongue:

I know how you feel. I'd say I'm one show away from making my own meth lab :biggrin:

I think I saw it a long time ago, on late night TV, and enjoyed what I saw.
Will have to make time for it, definitely!

Shame I'm terrible at chemistry. I can always test your product make sure it's good stuff though :biggrin:
(Joking NSA and GHCQ, haha)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending