The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone seeing Bring me the horizon soon?
Original post by hamza1394
Hey guys! New to this epic thread...What's everyone listening to these days? :smile:

Heart of a Coward :biggrin:

Awaiting Slipknot's new album now!
Reply 8702

:love:

1995 Ulver meets Julianna Barwick. Umm what?
Guys guys guys guys guys guys
Warhorns 2015

Saor
Cnoc An Tursa
Old Corpse Road
(are only the first three bands to be announced)
https://www.facebook.com/events/1472865149650119/?fref=ts

This is shaping up to be a fantastic festival. Also, I still want to go to Nemeton Borealis on the 4th of October because black metal in a forest in cumbria. If I do definitely go then I'll probably try and distribute a demo of some black metal I've been working on. Though I just gave it a listen before and recording the drums last and while drunk appears to have been a poor decision.
Original post by metalthrashin'mad

1995 Ulver meets Julianna Barwick. Umm what?

I'm OK with this.
Machine Head are so siicckkk seeing them in December :biggrin:
Original post by hamza1394
Hey guys! New to this epic thread...What's everyone listening to these days? :smile:

Machine Head, savage messiah, Whitechapel:smile: and THE KNOT of course:biggrin:
Reply 8708
Original post by Manitude

This is shaping up to be a fantastic festival. Also, I still want to go to Nemeton Borealis on the 4th of October because black metal in a forest in cumbria. If I do definitely go then I'll probably try and distribute a demo of some black metal I've been working on. Though I just gave it a listen before and recording the drums last and while drunk appears to have been a poor decision.

Put it online as well for us lot to have a listen. :thumbsup:

Original post by Jack Dimambro
Machine Head are so siicckkk seeing them in December :biggrin:

Same, last time I saw them was an arena so hopefully a smaller venue will be even better.

Hoping the new album is excellent as well as they tend to play a lot from their most recent record when they tour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Devel
Put it online as well for us lot to have a listen. :thumbsup:

It's not finished yet, but here's a sneak peak of an early version of the first song:
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/etnea-lamentations-of-a-deity

It's about how a deity might feel about its life. My definition of deity here is an immortal creator who does not interfere with the creation. This being can never be detected, can never meet anyone, will never be truly thanked for creating everything. The concept of the song is try and get into the head of the deity and think about how it might feel to hold such immense power but only use it once to create everything.
The lyrics are below:

Spoiler

An instrumental version of the second song is here:
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/etnea-2

Fun fact: while recording the tremolo picking for this song I managed to scrape off a few layers of skin on my right thumb and couldn't play for a few days.
Less fun fact: I am struggling to get any kind of drum beat to work with these songs because a) I'm a terrible drummer b) I left it until the end. So I may have to do both of them again from scratch.
I'll probably just put those two songs on a CDR when they're in a better state of completeness and distribute them with a link to the as yet non-existent facebook page and an email address and a printout of the album art.

I may also include a third song that I did a long ago:
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/roscoe-take-me-away-end-me
Possibly re-recorded but unlikely as I don't have enough time to effectively record a full song and potentially two others in a week and a half!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy those!
Reply 8710
It's not finished yet, but here's a sneak peak of an early version of the first song:
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/etnea-lamentations-of-a-deity

It's about how a deity might feel about its life. My definition of deity here is an immortal creator who does not interfere with the creation. This being can never be detected, can never meet anyone, will never be truly thanked for creating everything. The concept of the song is try and get into the head of the deity and think about how it might feel to hold such immense power but only use it once to create everything.
The lyrics are below:

Spoiler

An instrumental version of the second song is here:
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/etnea-2

Fun fact: while recording the tremolo picking for this song I managed to scrape off a few layers of skin on my right thumb and couldn't play for a few days.
Less fun fact: I am struggling to get any kind of drum beat to work with these songs because a) I'm a terrible drummer b) I left it until the end. So I may have to do both of them again from scratch.
I'll probably just put those two songs on a CDR when they're in a better state of completeness and distribute them with a link to the as yet non-existent facebook page and an email address and a printout of the album art.

I may also include a third song that I did a long ago:
https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/roscoe-take-me-away-end-me
Possibly re-recorded but unlikely as I don't have enough time to effectively record a full song and potentially two others in a week and a half!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy those!

I had a listen to the first song and it sounds great. The first section immediately reminded me of this which I adore. The rest of it is strong as well with the distinct parts moving into each other really well. I especially liked the instrumental section that starts at 5:20, the playing is excellent there. The only part that lost me a little were the vocals at around 6:15. You definitely should keep us updated on how it progresses. :yep:

Listening to the instrumental second song now, sounds good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Devel
I had a listen to the first song and it sounds great. The first section immediately reminded me of this which I adore. The rest of it is strong as well with the distinct parts moving into each other really well. I especially liked the instrumental section that starts at 5:20, the playing is excellent there. The only part that lost me a little were the vocals at around 6:15. You definitely should keep us updated on how it progresses. :yep:

Listening to the instrumental second song now, sounds good.

Thanks for the kind words :smile:

I agree with the vocals towards the end, in my defence I was pretty drunk. I was going for the Silencer-esque thing but I'm not sure if it works.
I did perform vocals for the second song too but they were absolutely terrible as I was even more drunk at that point.
Reply 8712
Thanks for the kind words :smile:

I agree with the vocals towards the end, in my defence I was pretty drunk. I was going for the Silencer-esque thing but I'm not sure if it works.
I did perform vocals for the second song too but they were absolutely terrible as I was even more drunk at that point.

:laugh:

Seeing as you play that style of music what would you recommend as the essential black metal albums?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Devel
:laugh:

Seeing as you play that style of music what would you recommend as the essential black metal albums?

I'm more interested in 'atmospheric black metal' and 'folk/black metal' than straight up bm personally so my essential albums are perhaps a bit narrow minded.

"Filosofem" by Burzum got me into black metal as a whole, but one of my favourite atmospheric black metal band of the now is Fen. So their album "The Malediction Fields" is a good place to start and then I'd suggest moving chronologically to "Epoch" and finally "Dustwalker".

Alcest are always worth a listen too, particularly the Ecailles de Lune album:

"The Mantle" by Agalloch is a classic folk/black album, as is "Marrow of the Spirit":

Finally, my favourite album at the moment is "Aura" by Saor which, like Agalloch, is folk/black metal but I hope you'll see it's quite a different interpretation of the genre. More raw and 'angry':

The previous Saor album, "Roots" came out in 2013 and is also excellent. The guy behind Saor used to have a project called Askival and did an excellent album called "Eternity" which is also folk/black metal.

That ought to keep you occupied for a while. If you're looking for things similar to the music I create then Austere, Xasthur, Woods of Desolation and Thy Light may be worth looking out for, but I can't really recommend any albums by them as I don't listen to depressive black metal that much. Also Lifelover are an interesting listen as they're quite unique.
Reply 8714
I'm more interested in 'atmospheric black metal' and 'folk/black metal' than straight up bm personally so my essential albums are perhaps a bit narrow minded.

Awesome, I will check all those out.

I always mean to explore it more as a genre as I am only really familiar with the more well known artists.
Original post by Devel
Awesome, I will check all those out.

I always mean to explore it more as a genre as I am only really familiar with the more well known artists.

Good to hear!
Burzum, Agalloch and Alcest are pretty well known but I think it's fair to say the others are still in the 'underground' of black metal, although they're generally the better known ones.

Speaking of which I totally forgot to mention Winterfylleth:

I'd recommend again starting with the first album "The Ghost of Heritage" then moving chronologically to "The Mercian Sphere", "Threnody of Triumph" and in two weeks "The Divination of Antiquity" will be released. The first album is very raw compared to the new stuff and I prefer the compositions, however the recording quality in their later material is superior and there's some really nice textures with multiple guitar tracks in the third album.
Reply 8716
Good to hear!
Burzum, Agalloch and Alcest are pretty well known but I think it's fair to say the others are still in the 'underground' of black metal, although they're generally the better known ones.

Speaking of which I totally forgot to mention Winterfylleth:

I'd recommend again starting with the first album "The Ghost of Heritage" then moving chronologically to "The Mercian Sphere", "Threnody of Triumph" and in two weeks "The Divination of Antiquity" will be released. The first album is very raw compared to the new stuff and I prefer the compositions, however the recording quality in their later material is superior and there's some really nice textures with multiple guitar tracks in the third album.

I've heard of Winterfylleth but never gave them a proper a listen. They are on the Behemoth tour with Grand Magus and Decapitated later this year which I am tempted to go to.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :yep:
Favourite BM band is probably Deathspell Omega, their last three albums plus the EPs are all so sick. Love Spite Extreme Wing too, too bad they're not about anymore.
Anyone into Tech-Metal/Electronicore??
For a moment I thought "Yay, a chance for me to discuss my interest in rocks with other geologists" but then I realised you're discussing music ):

Latest