The Student Room Group

Man gets sex change, pummels woman in MMA, feminists rustled, trans* rejoice

Apparently trans* and lesbians don't get along.

http://gendertrender.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/fallon-fox-why-hormones-dont-make-a-woman/

Those not savvy in the social and political dynamics of the LGBT community may not be aware of the fact that, in some ways, the public battery of Tamikka and the bloodlust exhibited by the transgender community is emblematic of the ongoing violence and hostility of heterosexual male “transwomen” towards lesbians in general.

Fallon Fox, a 38-year-old ex-military man and father, caused what many are calling career-ending injuries to his female mixed martial arts opponent, Tamikka Brents. In less than three minutes, Fox inflicted an orbital bone fracture, a concussion, and soft tissue injuries to Brents’ head so extensive that they required 8 surgical staples to close.
(edited 9 years ago)
the title made me laugh
Reply 2
Lmao:rofl:
Title sounds like one heck of a party. Please tell me there were midgets involved.

But it is a strange paradox for the social justice movement to deal with, I'll give it that!
I think the Guardian editor is going to be having sleepless nights over this one.
You should probably look into the issue more before posting about it. The author of the article you link to seems to be a radical lesbian feminist (look up separatist and lesbian feminism). They are anti-trans, and very extreme in their views.

That being said there are plenty of divisions between groups even in social justice communities. Nobody is perfect and the point is to listen to and be responsive to criticism.
Reply 6
Transgender communities and individuals have consistently and endemically been discriminated against and harassed by Lesbian and Feminist movements. It's typical behaviour for them. Nothing new here.
Reply 7
Original post by samba
Transgender communities and individuals have consistently and endemically been discriminated against and harassed by Lesbian and Feminist movements. It's typical behaviour for them. Nothing new here.

I've heard about that. Do you know the reasons?
Actually lol'd at the title.

Pretty severe injuries but not uncommon for MMA, so whether it was just a skill difference or strength difference will be seen through her career tbh.

Edit: Having seen the video, it was a few knee strikes that did pretty much all the damage. They make it sound like it was an absolute demolition and they were unrecognizable when it was far from it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by obidobi

A lot of it has to do with the idea of gender essentialism. If you were born with a penis you will always be a man, and so many lesbian feminists discredit, disrespect, and outright harass trans* women. Feminism is only recently opening up its doors to trans*women.
I'm actually with the feminists for once. Actually having read the article it sounds like it must have been quite a brutal scene.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Should have an MMA competition for transexuals then.
More preventative than anything else, but can we please keep this thread free of slurs and other transphobic language. Thanks.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I'm actually with the feminists for once. Actually having read the article it sounds like it must have been quite a brutal scene.

I actually went and watched a video of it. As another poster said above, the most severe injuries were almost certainly delivered by a series of knee strikes to the face. That kind of damage seems like it could quite easily have been done in that manner by another biologically female MMA fighter. The article does seem to be over-egging it a bit.
Original post by TurboCretin
I actually went and watched a video of it. As another poster said above, the most severe injuries were almost certainly delivered by a series of knee strikes to the face. That kind of damage seems like it could quite easily have been done in that manner by another biologically female MMA fighter. The article does seem to be over-egging it a bit.

Where can I see it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
This is just golden.

The victim groups know they have beaten down straight men and so now the rats have to fight among themselves.

**Get the popcorn out gentlemen.
Original post by obidobi

Probably because feminist theory is actually inconsistent with the scientific knowledge that transsexuals exist.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Where can I see it?

I just googled it. The version I saw wasn't great quality - it was made by someone personally filming one of the display screens at the fight.
Reply 18
Original post by KingStannis
Probably because feminist theory is actually inconsistent with the scientific knowledge that transsexuals exist.

That makes sense since feminist theory is inconsistent with scientific... well, anything (other than ''social science'', ofc).
Anything men can do women can do better.

No......wait......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending