The Student Room Group

Why has my credit been declined for phone contract?

Just been declined for an iPhone 6 contract with Vodafone/Carphone Warehouse and can't really understand why. I've been accepted for a contract before, with actually a higher tariff rate - and never faltered a payment (except one late payment in 2 years, which was EE's fault for cocking up my direct debit change). I've got a job, my overdraft isn't actually too big (it doesn't exceed £500) and I've never owed anything...

I once exceeded the interest free limit of my overdraft by £2 once, and that was 1 year ago... could that be why? :K:

The only thing I can think is some issues with my address? I applied to extend my student loan but they rejected me on the basis of my address (it's a private halls, only been around for a year-ish, doesn't show up on most postcode searches and I only moved in a month ago) - could this be why I'm being declined for a phone contract? I can't even check my credit rating online, because my 'address can not be found'.

Any help? :confused:
Quite possibly your address. If they can't verify it exists, they're not going to give you any money. Have you recently applied and been rejected for credit elsewhere? That too can have a negative affect on your credit rating.
Original post by mellie220
The only thing I can think is some issues with my address? I applied to extend my student loan but they rejected me on the basis of my address (it's a private halls, only been around for a year-ish, doesn't show up on most postcode searches and I only moved in a month ago) - could this be why I'm being declined for a phone contract? I can't even check my credit rating online, because my 'address can not be found'.

Any help? :confused:

It's because you can't credit check someone who lives in student halls, I had the same problem a few years back.

Just use your parents address if you're still on the electoral roll there.
Reply 3
Original post by mikeyd85
Quite possibly your address. If they can't verify it exists, they're not going to give you any money. Have you recently applied and been rejected for credit elsewhere? That too can have a negative affect on your credit rating.

I actually got the overdraft extension by changing my address, I then changed it back because I just wanted my letters sending through to my student address. And nope, this is the first place I've been rejected for credit since changing my address!
Reply 4
Original post by sr90
It's because you can't credit check someone who lives in student halls, I had the same problem a few years back.

Just use your parents address if you're still on the electoral roll there.

I didn't know that!

I think that's my best bet, this new address seems to have caused too many problems so far. However, considering I've been rejected, does that mean I have to wait a certain amount of time to reapply for a contract?
I didn't know that!

I think that's my best bet, this new address seems to have caused too many problems so far. However, considering I've been rejected, does that mean I have to wait a certain amount of time to reapply for a contract?

You'll have to wait with Vodafone, but you can apply at another (superior) network.
I didn't know that!

What the other guy said. You'll be fine with O2 or EE.
Reply 7
You'll have to wait with Vodafone, but you can apply at another (superior) network.

That's annoying... not sure how EE has come out on top there! I'm with them now and I've always had awful signal!
That's annoying... not sure how EE has come out on top there! I'm with them now and I've always had awful signal!

Merging two traditional mobile networks and a very aggressive 4G roll-out tbh. I can't say I've ever had issue with their network - some of the places I get 4G amazes me!

Either way, this whole thing has stopped you going with Vodafone, so really, it's probably done you a favour! :yep:
Reply 9
Merging two traditional mobile networks and a very aggressive 4G roll-out tbh. I can't say I've ever had issue with their network - some of the places I get 4G amazes me!

Either way, this whole thing has stopped you going with Vodafone, so really, it's probably done you a favour! :yep:

Maybe it's because I haven't upgraded to 4G yet then!

In all fairness, I'm really put off by carphone warehouse, awful customer service and didn't even bother telling me I'd been declined until I called up! I might just go with Three or O2 instead...
Maybe it's because I haven't upgraded to 4G yet then!

In all fairness, I'm really put off by carphone warehouse, awful customer service and didn't even bother telling me I'd been declined until I called up! I might just go with Three or O2 instead...

4G is beast tbh. It's so bloody quick - faster than my home broadband! Shame EE haven't worked out for you so far.

Can't say I ever used CPW, I was always a P4U kinda guy. :sad: I always hear good things about O2, but I've not used either of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending