The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why can't we speak out against Homosexuality without being bombarded?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by interact
Living with biological parents is in general, the bed for a child.

Evidence?

there are hundreds of studies which show that depriving a child of a father can cause issues in the childs development, not does that suddenly disappear when lesbians are robbing "their" children

There are plenty more which conclude that it is not the father which is needed but the stability that generally comes from having a second partner.
you are ridiculous if not completely cruel

just glad i wasn't born at a time it was legal for bobby norcross to have made me in another woman, and then forced me to have had 2 dads

From what I've seen I think it'd improve your sunny disposition to have been raised by a gay couple. However given you think I'm cruel for thinking that children should be able to be brought up in stable loving environments, there isn't much left to discuss really.

I hope you sort your issue out, they seem to have really done a number on you.
Speak out against what exactly? It doesn't hurt or endanger you, so why has it got you all hot and bothered? Keep your hate speech in doors. That's kitchen table talk. Nobody wants to here it.
Original post by Gwilym101
From what I've seen I think it'd improve your sunny disposition to have been raised by a gay couple. However given you think I'm cruel for thinking that children should be able to be brought up in stable loving environments, there isn't much left to discuss really.

I hope you sort your issue out, they seem to have really done a number on you.

I have no problems with gays, but that doesn't mean that I think it's okay of them to rob a child of a mother or parent.

and duh kids should be brought up in a loving environment, but anyone who thinks on the issue logically knows that a loving straight couple supersedes a loving gay couple for a childs development. if there are studies which show that depriving a kid of a father hinders development, then how can you you say otherwise.

I hope you are able to think on this matter without emotions.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Evidence?

There are plenty more which conclude that it is not the father which is needed but the stability that generally comes from having a second partner.

just google, loads come up

well i believe the studies which show the effects of paternal deprivation or maternal deprivation.

in any case, now that the family structure has completely broken up anyway, all this dosent really matter but while its legal to say so, i will say it how it is and depriving kids of a mother or father is cruel and unnecessary
just google, loads come up

Why don't you link me to one of the ones you base your opinion on :h:

well i believe the studies which show the effects of paternal deprivation or maternal deprivation.

See...the funny thing about studies is that the more recent they are the more credible they are. Up to date research has shown that having parents of both genders is not necessary. You don't really get to pick and choose.

in any case, now that the family structure has completely broken up anyway, all this dosent really matter but while its legal to say so, i will say it how it is and depriving kids of a mother or father is cruel and unnecessary

I'm assuming then you also are for forcing divorced parents to re-marry or preventing divorce? And preventing single persons from adopting. And really you should be against giving children up for adoption as a whole because its 'depriving' them of their biological parents.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
There's a lot of people with legitimate views on homosexuality and it's effect on our society.

If you're a straight male you can longer disagree with gay marriage, homosexuality in front of children, ramming homosexuality down our throats on soaps, teaching homosexuality in school you're vilified for having a differing opinion to the new Liberal control freaks. :confused:

I should be able to disagree and speak out against unnatural acts, two men cannot have children, anal sex is not normal. It is contrary to human nature. If everybody was gay humans would go instinct eventually.

I'm mainly speaking about gay marriage here, teaching gay stuff in schools, that's mostly what i disagree with, yet you're a bigot and a homophobe if you do :biggrin::rolleyes:

We can label people 'weirdo's' 'freaks' 'losers' on a daily basis, yet if we lable those words to somebody because they choose to date men, which is unnatural as two men are not supposed to be together by nature, it's wrong somehow :/ If a grown man is attracted to children, people are disgusted and everybody wants him in prison, so why can't I find homosexuality the same? (not that i think they should go to prion for being gay)

Because, you're living in wrong country/posting on wrong forum.

Being against homosexuality is far more accepted in places like Russia.

And media in western world is all for homosexuality and against those who don't support it, nowadays. Most people follow opinion of the masses instead of having their own also "media battle" was won by those who support homosexuality as those who don't, didn't provide any good arguments against it.

You are able to speak out and disagree, just tides have turned now and you'll be condemned just like gay people speaking out used to be condemned some decades ago.
Biology has no 'intention' nor does it have a 'purpose'. We have been over this before, but clearly your understanding hasn't changed. I'll repeat though, once again, evolution doesn't have a purpose. Evolution is a phenomenon. Its like saying gravity's purpose to keep us on the ground. Or that the sun's purpose is to give light. No. It just happens to be what happens. Evolution is a process that happens without intention or purpose. It is merely something observed.

Whether evolution (or the world in general) has a purpose or not - that doesn't change the fact that the person I quoted didn't use the term ''unnatural'' in the way the opponents of gay marriage and homosexuality use it. When criticizing others, at the very least make sure that you understand their position,not distort and misrepresent it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm coming into this discussion late, but I'll say this. I'm entirely for LGBT rights, I consider it equal rights. I wouldn't say I don't have a problem with people who think otherwise, but I tend not to shout them down. Instead I prefer to poke hole in their beliefs and arguments.
So if you disagree with LGBT rights or LGBT full stop, fair enough, but don't complain when people call you out. Which they often do.
Original post by Zorgotron
Whether evolution (or the world in general) has a purpose or not - that doesn't change the fact that the person I quoted didn't use the term ''unnatural'' in the way the opponents of gay marriage and homosexuality use it. When criticizing others, at the very least make sure that you understand their position,not distort and misrepresent it.

Weren't you the one clarify what is meant by unnatural? I rebutted that, so I don't really understand your point here.
Weren't you the one clarify what is meant by unnatural? I rebutted that, so I don't really understand your point here.

The only thing I wanted to clarify was that if you're going to criticize someone's position, make sure that you understand and honestly display their positions. The person I quoted used the term unnatural in a way that the opposition to gay marriage does not. Meaning he/she was addressing a straw-man.

Now, whether their definition of unnatural is right or not is beside the point when it comes to not misrepresenting the other's position.
(edited 9 years ago)
If everybody was gay humans would go instinct eventually

If everybody was a doctor, society would collapse. That's not a serious argument against having doctors.

People laugh at bigots because your arguments are asinine, because you come across as noticeably less intelligent, because you are deeply obnoxious about people who have never done any harm to you.

If you are a hateful individual, if you are irrationally biased against different races or sexualities, then you can reasonably expect to be the subject of a withering retort and a rubbishing of your "views"
Original post by Zorgotron
The only thing I wanted to clarify was that if you're going to criticize someone's position, make sure that you understand and honestly display their positions. The person I quoted used the term unnatural in a way that the opposition to gay marriage does not. Meaning he/she was addressing a straw-man.

Now, whether their definition of unnatural is right or not is beside the point when it comes to not misrepresenting the other's position.

It is not besides the point. If you are using the incorrect meaning of a word it hardly seems to be a case of misrepresentation and rather misunderstanding. Generally if you want to make coherent arguments you should use words the words that mean what you want to say. :h:
Why can't they be homosexual without being bombarded? :colonhash:
I love that this thread exists. Not for the reasons that you may think.
CryptoidAlien has literally exposed his IQ for what is, in the barest form possible. Now anyone who reps him hence forth will look like a dickhead xD
Reply 355
There's a lot of people with legitimate views on homosexuality and it's effect on our society.

If you're a straight male you can longer disagree with gay marriage, homosexuality in front of children, ramming homosexuality down our throats on soaps, teaching homosexuality in school you're vilified for having a differing opinion to the new Liberal control freaks. :confused:

I should be able to disagree and speak out against unnatural acts, two men cannot have children, anal sex is not normal. It is contrary to human nature. If everybody was gay humans would go instinct eventually.

I'm mainly speaking about gay marriage here, teaching gay stuff in schools, that's mostly what i disagree with, yet you're a bigot and a homophobe if you do :biggrin::rolleyes:

We can label people 'weirdo's' 'freaks' 'losers' on a daily basis, yet if we lable those words to somebody because they choose to date men, which is unnatural as two men are not supposed to be together by nature, it's wrong somehow :/ If a grown man is attracted to children, people are disgusted and everybody wants him in prison, so why can't I find homosexuality the same? (not that i think they should go to prion for being gay)

Because this is 21st Century UK , filled with diversity and rights. Times have changed but I think you might be a bit behind. If you have a problem with this country and the freedoms and rights that we are privileged to have, I recommend you go to a country such as Saudi Arabia. Homosexuality is punished by death over there I hear, sounds like the place for you! Also, just because gay marriage is legal, doesn't mean everyone is going to turn gay. You're making homosexuality sound like something that people decide, it's not, nobody wants discrimination.
It is not besides the point. If you are using the incorrect meaning of a word it hardly seems to be a case of misrepresentation and rather misunderstanding. Generally if you want to make coherent arguments you should use words the words that mean what you want to say. :h:

When you're countering someone's argument, make sure you reproduce their argument verbatim, without equivocating or redefining any of the terms. Or are you implying that straw-manning someone is okay as long as the argument being responded to is wrong anyway? Because if you redefine their terms, you aren't responding to their argument anymore. Unless you want to argue that the terms they use are wrong in the first place - which the original user did not do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IlNomeDellaRosa
If supporters accept homosexuality based on two reasons ("It Is Not Your Business" & "Right To Love"), I assume you lads are open to other sexual preferences as well? I am talking about bestiality, pedophilia, and necrophilia. Ironic. They scowl upon the "sexual orientations" I listed before and have such a saintly smile on homosexuality. The logic you use to accept homosexuality also applies to other "sexual orientations".

The fact that you're comparing homosexuality to things like pedophilia is insulting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IlNomeDellaRosa
And may I ask you why?

Because they're not the same at all. Comparing same sex love is not the same as someone having sex with a child or an animal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Soooo ****ing tired of this argument, homosexuality is not a 'choice' or 'unnatural', it's a legitimacy proven across a variety of species due to a hormonal imbalance originating from before birth.

As far as I'm aware, the only people who have a problem with it are religious nuts, and I say 'nuts' as I'm aware there are many forward thinking theists who don't have a problem with it, who have been fed the bull**** their entire lives that it's a lifestyle choice and not fit for the bill of marriage.

It's 2014 and society is only going to become even more accepting of it from this point forward, so just get over whatever issue it is that you have with it because the only person that will be caring is yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending