The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmam
If you still have any of your letters from Student Fiance then your NIN should be on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've checked but I can't see it there, all it's got is a customer reference no.
Btw, how hard is it to get into recruitment?

I'm applying for positions in the City for recruitment jobs as they pay pretty well and you can move up the ladder. It's 20k starting with commission with a lot of chance for progression, think it's stressful but it'll be great. Typical day sounds good, 10 hours at work, go for drinks round 8 and go home. Sounds like my cup of tea.

Anybody knows about recruitment and whether it's worth it?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I did a STEM subject. Failed to get any kind of work placement in both the nuclear industry and medical physics. Graduated with no relevant work expericne, still unemployed. We don't all have it good :tongue:

Same situation (Mathematics) :/
Original post by jit987
Same situation (Mathematics) :/

:five:

The way people rabbit on about STEM you would think a pot of gold was waiting for us on graduation day :tongue:
:five:

The way people rabbit on about STEM you would think a pot of gold was waiting for us on graduation day :tongue:

I've never heard of what STEM was until I found TSR. Lol I studied a STEM subject too. Took a year to find a relevant graduate job unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got 2 Job Interviews this week for decent paid jobs, One is a graduate job another a standard one but pays £18k with good benefits. Fingers crossed I get one!
Original post by yennibubs
I've never heard of what STEM was until I found TSR. Lol I studied a STEM subject too. Took a year to find a relevant graduate job unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject did you study?
Finally finished my application, just having a read through now.
Btw anybody looking for recruitment consultancy jobs? That's what I'm trying to get into atm as it pays well. No strict degree requirements and there's so many jobs available compared to the typical grad schemes.
Original post by imabigboynow
Got 2 Job Interviews this week for decent paid jobs, One is a graduate job another a standard one but pays £18k with good benefits. Fingers crossed I get one!

Nice one. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Btw anybody looking for recruitment consultancy jobs? That's what I'm trying to get into atm as it pays well. No strict degree requirements and there's so many jobs available compared to the typical grad schemes.

Nice one. :biggrin:

I hear recruitment is a bitch of a sector to work in. It's highly commission based, very target driven and very ruthless.
Original post by itsmyname
I hear recruitment is a bitch of a sector to work in. It's highly commission based, very target driven and very ruthless.

I hear that too, but I'm not worried about that. I'd still look to get a job there, if I'm good I can just use it as a stepping stone, also you can get a promotion quite quickly if you're good.

Also if you're good the salary is good too.
Original post by jam278
Btw, how hard is it to get into recruitment?

I'm applying for positions in the City for recruitment jobs as they pay pretty well and you can move up the ladder. It's 20k starting with commission with a lot of chance for progression, think it's stressful but it'll be great. Typical day sounds good, 10 hours at work, go for drinks round 8 and go home. Sounds like my cup of tea.

Anybody knows about recruitment and whether it's worth it?

Hey! I did work in recruitment for quite a while outside of the UK, so regarding the British market itself I cannot give you many details, but recruitment is very stressful for most people. If you are driven, are not afraid of talking with people and almost stalk after them when necessary, and you like a good challenge, recruitment can be a great career option.

If you're really good you can make good money and it is definitely a career that prepares you for dynamic and stressful workloads. From what I see on Reed, etc there is a huge amount of work in this field, so good luck!
Original post by Elisabetev
Hey! I did work in recruitment for quite a while outside of the UK, so regarding the British market itself I cannot give you many details, but recruitment is very stressful for most people. If you are driven, are not afraid of talking with people and almost stalk after them when necessary, and you like a good challenge, recruitment can be a great career option.

If you're really good you can make good money and it is definitely a career that prepares you for dynamic and stressful workloads. From what I see on Reed, etc there is a huge amount of work in this field, so good luck!

Thank you. :smile:

I'm not afraid of talking with people. What kind of clients do you deal with?
Original post by jam278
Thank you. :smile:

I'm not afraid of talking with people. What kind of clients do you deal with?

It really depends on the consultancy you work for. I was working for a small but international recruitment company, so we were given huge amounts of responsibility (I was doing an internship but my clients would never guess that) and I was lucky to work with huge multinational banks all the way to small start ups and looking for people to work in various countries. If you like IT you can look for companies that only recruit those profiles; you have other companies that only recruit executives and managers; others only recruit graduates.

Also lookout if your function will only be to recruit, or also to look for clients, meaning that you will be the one responsible to find vacancies and then look for people to fill them.
What subject did you study?

Civil Engineering.
Sorry, I mean it took a year to find my ideal 'graduate scheme' type of job. Starting next month!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yennibubs
Civil Engineering.
Sorry, I mean it took a year to find my ideal 'graduate scheme' type of job. Starting next month!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My brother is doing Civil Engineering.

Cool, hope it goes well :smile:

----------------------------------------------

I'm applying for a maintenance job at MacDonalds and I'm thinking about pretending I got a 2:2 (I actualy have a 2:1). Is this a good idea?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well the PGCE turned out to be not for me. Back to the dole then :hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for a maintenance job at MacDonalds and I'm thinking about pretending I got a 2:2 (I actualy have a 2:1). Is this a good idea?

I've started looking for retail/cafe jobs to tide me over until I find a grad job. I got a First and haven't been invited to a single interview (despite having 4 years experience in customer service). Considering omitting grades from my CV entirely in case it's because they think I'm "over qualified". :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)

I considered doing the same but I found out you could get in trouble for it; maybe try not mentioning the grade if possible?

Original post by OriginOfShowbiz
I've started looking for retail/cafe jobs to tide me over until I find a grad job. I got a First and haven't been invited to a single interview (despite having 4 years experience in customer service). Considering omitting grades from my CV entirely in case it's because they think I'm "over qualified". :dontknow:

I got a 2:1 and over two months I applied for loads of admin jobs; I wasn't even invited to a single interview even though I had five years previous paid experience in that sort of work, several related qualifications (even the "desirable" ones such as ECDL, ECDL Advanced and RSA Levels 1,2 and 3) and more recent voluntary experience. My sister got a 2:2 and had no trouble getting an admin job after she graduated; she had no experience working in an office other than a weeks work experience in year 10 (although she did have retail experience so I guess she had skills she could transfer over) and only knew how to use the internet and Word. I suggest you try omitting the grades, employers might think you got a lower grade and ergo less likely to consider you "over qualified".
Have a job but 3 weeks in and I want to leave :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending