The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi all

I know threads like this are generally the devil's spawn, but I'm actually really confused/frustrated/indecisive about my Medical school choices. I really like the medical school in Edinburgh, however I'm afraid my UKCAT will result in an unsuccessful application so I'm wondering if it would be worth trying at all? I'm also applying to Cardiff, Bristol and QUB.

Currently, I have:
10A* and 1A at GCSE
AAAA at AS Level (Bio, Chem, Maths and History)
Predicted A*A*A*A* for A2

My UKCAT, unfortunately is only 2500 (625 avg. - 550, 740, 640, 570) - I vomited during the Decision Analysis haha! However I am also Band 1 STJ, which I know Edinburgh look favorably upon.

Opinions? Any advice would be helpful.
You'll score full marks for everything except UKCAT and the PS. It's risky but if your PS is good you probably are a competitive applicant.
Reply 4462
Original post by staks
DO NOT APPLY THERE!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about Aberdeen??
Reply 4463
Original post by NancyRoseC
100% nope. gcses aren't good enough

What about Aberdeen?
Original post by ergles
What about Aberdeen?

If you want good quality advice you are going to have to invest more time in your posts. Hard to say anything on so little information.
Hi guys - irrelevant to the subject but I just wanted to ask whether you guys could help me out with the threads I have posted. Any response relevant to my questions would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Hi,

I really want to do medicine at university. However, I've got a poor UKCAT (570 average score), got AAAC on my AS (Maths, Bio, Economics and Chemistry), and the C was in Chemistry :/ Also, because I have done a 1 year GCSE course I've only got 6 GCSE subjects (3 A*, 2As, 1B)- it was my only option at my college.

I was planning to resit my AS Chemistry in order to apply for a UK Med School but with my UKCAT result I dont really think it's worth applying as those unis who dont ask for high UKCAT ask for lots of GCSEs. I also thought in applying for Biomedical sciences and then apply as a graduate but as I know it is way harder to get a place in graduate entry, Im not sure whether I should do it.

I also thought about other options like the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland or the Charles Univerisity in Prague as I think it's easier to be accepted on those. Are they any good and less competitive?

Any help or opinion about what you think I should do would be really appreciated, pleaseeee! Apply for medicine this year (2015), take a gap year and apply next year, apply for Biomedical science, RCSI or Charles University???

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need help really quickly! I don't know where to apply, I am a resitter with extenuating circumstances and go to a bad performing school so don't have much choice anyways. I did my ukcat today and am really disappointed. I got:
Vr 550
Qr 730
Ar 640
DA 590
Sjt b1

I have received grades of A*ABc but I will be predicted A*AAb.

I was thinking st George's, Lancaster, but I have no idea after that.

Can anyone advise me? I am so upset right now, I just don't know what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4468
Original post by HCubed
If you want good quality advice you are going to have to invest more time in your posts. Hard to say anything on so little information.

So sorry, I was in full on panic mode yesterday :l

The subjects that I got an a in AS are Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Literature in English, and I got a b in AS level English Language.

my predicted grades are A*A*AAa

my UKCAT was not good at all (2460)

VR 590
QR 600
AR 660
DA 610
SJT band 2

do you think Aberdeen would consider taking me on?
Original post by rafaelpires
Hi,

I really want to do medicine at university. However, I've got a poor UKCAT (570 average score), got AAAC on my AS (Maths, Bio, Economics and Chemistry), and the C was in Chemistry :/ Also, because I have done a 1 year GCSE course I've only got 6 GCSE subjects (3 A*, 2As, 1B)- it was my only option at my college.

I was planning to resit my AS Chemistry in order to apply for a UK Med School but with my UKCAT result I dont really think it's worth applying as those unis who dont ask for high UKCAT ask for lots of GCSEs. I also thought in applying for Biomedical sciences and then apply as a graduate but as I know it is way harder to get a place in graduate entry, Im not sure whether I should do it.

I also thought about other options like the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland or the Charles Univerisity in Prague as I think it's easier to be accepted on those. Are they any good and less competitive?

Any help or opinion about what you think I should do would be really appreciated, pleaseeee! Apply for medicine this year (2015), take a gap year and apply next year, apply for Biomedical science, RCSI or Charles University???

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't apply this year. Do your A levels. Get AAA apply then with grades in hand with new UKCAT
is it a waste of an application if i apply to southampton with 657.5 score at ukcat (2630 total )? please help
I need help really quickly! I don't know where to apply, I am a resitter with extenuating circumstances and go to a bad performing school so don't have much choice anyways. I did my ukcat today and am really disappointed. I got:
Vr 550
Qr 730
Ar 640
DA 590
Sjt b1

I was thinking st George's, Lancaster, but I have no idea after that (maybe Plymouth? Aberdeen?) I just don't know anymore.

Can anyone advise me what medical schools are best for me? I am so upset right now, I just don't know what to do.

Thank you, any help is appreciated x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harry_kyr
I'd appreciate advice as my deadline is nearing!

My Stats:

GCSEs: 11A* 3A
FMQ: A (max)

AS:
Bio - A Ums: 295 (Averages 97%)
Chem - A Ums: 282
Phys - A Ums:283
Maths - A Ums: 298

A2 Predicted: A* A* A* A*

UKCAT: 2780 - 695
BMAT: Yet to do
PS: Good

I was thinking:

Imperial
Oxford
Birmingham
Undecided

5th
Undecided

I want to have a range of BMAT/UKcat/Other Unis hm

Recomendations?

Just flagging up - I need a UKCAT uni; deadlines tomorrow :frown:
Advice
Reply 4473
Just flagging up - I need a UKCAT uni; deadlines tomorrow :frown:
Advice

Leicester and Nottingham are very strong choices. Then HYMS Plymouth Exeter :smile:
Original post by 2018
Leicester and Nottingham are very strong choices. Then HYMS Plymouth Exeter :smile:

I don't think my score is competitive enough for nottingham and my leicster score is around 62/90 which isn't great. Any alternatives?
Reply 4475
I don't think my score is competitive enough for nottingham and my leicster score is around 62/90 which isn't great. Any alternatives?

You would be a very strong candidate for Nottingham and HYMS. are you sure you've calculated your Leicester score correctly-looking at your stats it seems as though it should be much higher! You could try Barts :smile:
Original post by 2018
You would be a very strong candidate for Nottingham and HYMS. are you sure you've calculated your Leicester score correctly-looking at your stats it seems as though it should be much higher! You could try Barts :smile:

I'd love barts but even with 4A* + 20 for an FSMQ + 70 for music, my tariff is still like 650 and most people have near 700+ :redface: how is that possible
Original post by Januu Dolly
Vr 550
Qr 730
Ar 640
DA 590
Sjt b1

I was thinking st George's, Lancaster, but I have no idea after that (maybe Plymouth? Aberdeen?) I just don't know anymore.

Can anyone advise me what medical schools are best for me? I am so upset right now, I just don't know what to do.

Thank you, any help is appreciated x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sorry I am posting this again but I really need some advice please. I am so depressed. I just feel like I am going to get rejections all over again for the second time. If I don't get in this year then its abroad for me. Thank you again and sorry for being so annoying x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4478
Hi everyone.
I'm just about to submit my UCAS form but I would like someone's advice about the universities I'm applying to - I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks in advance!
Here are my details

GCSE's: 8A*'s 3A's
AS Levels: 4A's
Predicted A2 Levels: A*AA
UKCAT: 2690 (average 672.5)

I plan on applying to Queen's, Dundee, Cardiff and UEA.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4479
Original post by SAB_01
Hi everyone.
I'm just about to submit my UCAS form but I would like someone's advice about the universities I'm applying to - I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks in advance!
Here are my details

GCSE's: 8A*'s 3A's
AS Levels: 4A's
Predicted A2 Levels: A*AA
UKCAT: 2690 (average 672.5)

I plan on applying to Queen's, Dundee, Cardiff and UEA.

You will be strong with all of your choices :smile: NOW PRESS SEND! :wink: Best of luck with the application :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending