The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inglisred
Someone please help. I always have trouble with these "two travelling objects" problems so if someone could help that would be awesome.

Took me a while, but I think I got it.

For example, assume that John catches the 13:00 train, arriving in Denby at 16:00

During that time, he will have to pass trains, coming in the opposite direction...

10:55 to 13:55
11:55 to 14:55
12:55 to 15:55

These trains arrive at Carlton during his journey, so at some point he will pass them on their way.

13:55 to 16:55
14:55 to 17:55
15:55 to 18:55

These trains leave Carlton during his journey, so at some point he will pass them also.

That makes 6, so D
Original post by kayy_ox
Just came back from the bmat crash course which is run by medical students and words cannot describe how happy I am that I booked that course! It was sooo comprehensive and they literally do cover everything annnnd they give you many useful hints and tips which you won't get elsewhere. Also they managed to keep my attention as they were funny and they give you a very useful (extremely thick) book with everything in. Best of all its half the price of other courses!!! Score! X)

I went on it today!! How great was it?! Really pleased that the money spent was so worthwhile. :biggrin:
Though I'm not sure what to do...the teachers today said for section they won't ever ask you things about eyes,ears, nitrogen cycle, conduction, convection etc Do you think they're right and that I should just focus on the things that will actually come up (this was all based on the papers from the past few years)...?
I just did the 2013 section 1 paper and failed it miserably. I got 40%. I am really freaking out right now because it was so hard for me. I only got 14 questions right out of 35. I'm really reconsidering doing the test, but the only thing stopping me is that I really want to go to Imperial.
Original post by House MD

For example, assume that John catches the 13:00 train, arriving in Denby at 16:00

During that time, he will have to pass trains, coming in the opposite direction...

These trains arrive at Carlton during his journey, so at some point he will pass them on their way.

These trains leave Carlton during his journey, so at some point he will pass them also.

That makes 6, so D

I think you're right there, I missed the second bit!
Reply 664
Hey guys,
I'm late to this whole BMAT party thing.
I didn't do well on my UKCAT so I'm considering the BMAT, how much time is recommended to revise for this exam ? ( I've only just thought about even doing the BMAT today!)
Original post by skizzle
I went on it today!! How great was it?! Really pleased that the money spent was so worthwhile. :biggrin:
Though I'm not sure what to do...the teachers today said for section they won't ever ask you things about eyes,ears, nitrogen cycle, conduction, convection etc Do you think they're right and that I should just focus on the things that will actually come up (this was all based on the papers from the past few years)...?

Hi there. Glad you enjoyed the course :smile: I've just taken a look at the new Section 2 specimen paper that they recently released, and it seems like they're making a few changes this year. For example, the paper contains stuff about the nitrogen cycle, as well as about conduction/convection/radiation.

We'll be sending out an email to everyone who attended the course informing them of this change - in light of these changes, we'd highly suggest revising from the "Section 2 Assumed Knowledge" interactive CGP guide that they've put on the official BMAT website, in addition to the notes in the handbook of course :smile:

Hope that helps!
Original post by Refrigerator
Hi there. Glad you enjoyed the course :smile: I've just taken a look at the new Section 2 specimen paper that they recently released, and it seems like they're making a few changes this year. For example, the paper contains stuff about the nitrogen cycle, as well as about conduction/convection/radiation.

We'll be sending out an email to everyone who attended the course informing them of this change - in light of these changes, we'd highly suggest revising from the "Section 2 Assumed Knowledge" interactive CGP guide that they've put on the official BMAT website, in addition to the notes in the handbook of course :smile:

Hope that helps!

what course! Hi guys, i'm later in joining, just decided to do it!!
stats: 11A* 3 As, 4 As at AS, predicted A* A* A A
Anyone have some useful tips! what books to read, courses, anything that helps!
Original post by House MD

That makes 6, so D

Sorry if I'm being dense, but why would he see the trains leaving Carlton after he has already got on his train?
They're not going to overtake his train or anything so surely he would just see the three coming from Derby aka opposite direction?
Reply 668
Original post by MasterCress
Sorry if I'm being dense, but why would he see the trains leaving Carlton after he has already got on his train?
They're not going to overtake his train or anything so surely he would just see the three coming from Derby aka opposite direction?

I think he worded it incorrectly.
If you get the 13:00 train your Journey will finish at 16:00 because it stated it was a 3 hour Jounery. So you will see trains coming from Derby at:
10:55 - this train arrives at Carlton at 13:55 and will be the first train to pass
11:55 - Arrives at 14:55 at carlton, will be the second train to pass you
12:55 - Arrives at 15:55 etc..
13:55
14:55
15:55 - just leaves the station before you arrive so you still pass it.

They're all leaving from Derby to Carlton, just some of them have left Derby before your train leaves and you need to take them into account :smile:
( i hope this makes sense:colondollar:)
If I was to choose just ONE BMAT book to purchase, which would you recommend as the most helpful?
Original post by ketg001
Hey guys,
I'm late to this whole BMAT party thing.
I didn't do well on my UKCAT so I'm considering the BMAT, how much time is recommended to revise for this exam ? ( I've only just thought about even doing the BMAT today!)

You've definitely got time so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I started about a week ago and seem to be doing okay. The science you will basically know anyway, just requires a bit of brushing up. The logic part is my weakest point at the moment, that and the essay just require practice. Just use all of your spare time to do this exam prep and you will be fine. At the end of the day all you can do is your best. :smile:
Reply 671
what is the quickest to do this type of question? :smile:

The equation for the preparation of nitrogen monoxide is:
a Cu + b HNO3 a Cu (NO3)2 + c H2O + 2NO
What is the value of b?
Original post by rainai9
what is the quickest to do this type of question? :smile:

The equation for the preparation of nitrogen monoxide is:
a Cu + b HNO3 a Cu (NO3)2 + c H2O + 2NO
What is the value of b?

Simultaneous equations

Make a list of the number of moles of each element on either side in terms of a, b and c. Then solve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 673
Struggling to write a good essay in the time allocated. Are these other resources available aside from the past papers for the essays?
Original post by ketg001
I think he worded it incorrectly.
If you get the 13:00 train your Journey will finish at 16:00 because it stated it was a 3 hour Jounery. So you will see trains coming from Derby at:
10:55 - this train arrives at Carlton at 13:55 and will be the first train to pass
11:55 - Arrives at 14:55 at carlton, will be the second train to pass you
12:55 - Arrives at 15:55 etc..
13:55
14:55
15:55 - just leaves the station before you arrive so you still pass it.

They're all leaving from Derby to Carlton, just some of them have left Derby before your train leaves and you need to take them into account :smile:
( i hope this makes sense:colondollar:)

Ah that makes much more sense.
Cheers! :biggrin:
Original post by Inglisred
I just did the 2013 section 1 paper and failed it miserably. I got 40%. I am really freaking out right now because it was so hard for me. I only got 14 questions right out of 35. I'm really reconsidering doing the test, but the only thing stopping me is that I really want to go to Imperial.

You do know that translates to a 4.0 which is just below average?

It's not a bad score considering you still have a month to prepare.

I started off getting 6/27 in section 2, thats gone up to 15/27 after 2 practice papers and my section 1 went up from 13/35 to 19/35 which translates to a 5.9 in the 2012 papers!
Reply 676
Hi guys,

I'm planning on applying this year after thinking it over. I'm a university student in my last year so I'm assuming I need to contact the nearest school. Will they definitely let me do it there i.e. is there generally not any hindrance to non school people taking the BMAT there? Also, does anyone know how long it takes to register as I'd like to do it by end of tomorrow so I only pay the cheaper fee?
I've been doing the TSA papers and although they're very useful, I'm lost to as what is determined as a "good" mark or what they equate to in terms of BMAT score, for example would 26/50 equate to approximately 5.0 or would it be much lower?
Original post by Dannyboy1236
I've been doing the TSA papers and although they're very useful, I'm lost to as what is determined as a "good" mark or what they equate to in terms of BMAT score, for example would 26/50 equate to approximately 5.0 or would it be much lower?

Obviously it’s quite hard to say what kind of score you should be aiming for on the TSA, but let’s give it a go. If we assume the difficulty of the TSA is the same as BMAT section 1 (which is a reasonable assumption), and assume that if you get 50% of the critical thinking questions right in the BMAT, you will also get 50% of the problem-solving questions right (not sure about how valid this particular assumption is), then we can get somewhere.

In 2013, a score of 18/35 (51%) was equivalent to 5.1/9 which is just over the cutoff point for Imperial. So if the assumptions we made above hold true, a TSA score of 52% (26/50) puts you at around 5.1 for BMAT, which will get you an interview at Imperial. However, let's say you're going for Oxbridge too. The average score for successful Oxford applicants is around 6.1, and in 2013, this translated to 22/35 (63%).

Therefore, if all these assumptions hold true, a score of 52% in the TSA is “good enough” to get you an interview at Imperial, but not an offer from Oxford. You want to be getting 63% (32/50) to hit the average score for successful Oxford applicants.

Addressing some of the assumptions we made above, the problem solving tends to be more difficult than critical thinking, and so you’d probably get more of those wrong than the critical thinking questions. So ultimately, I think if you’re getting in the region of 70% (35/50) in TSA papers, that’s something to be happy about, and something to aim for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 679
Original post by Med2015
Hi guys,

I'm planning on applying this year after thinking it over. I'm a university student in my last year so I'm assuming I need to contact the nearest school. Will they definitely let me do it there i.e. is there generally not any hindrance to non school people taking the BMAT there? Also, does anyone know how long it takes to register as I'd like to do it by end of tomorrow so I only pay the cheaper fee?

I'm in the same boat but applied 1 day ago and registered today.
On the BMAT website you can see a list of centres to take it ( my closest centre appears to be 40 minutes away) but I think this is more of an " open centre" which anyone can apply to. A nearby school may host it but I don't know how they'll feel about you applying there.
They initially asked for a cheque but in the end I transferred my money via a BACS payment to them and that took up to 1 working day so you may have just missed the deadline for the cheaper entry but ask them just in case ( different schools may have different rules).
Hope that helps :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending