The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uniqsummer
A foundation course is pretty much essential. I can pretend to you that its not but your chances of gaining a place reduce to under 20% without it, and that's before other things are taken into account such as grades and your interview.
Your GCSE's will be looked at and considered but really your portfolio is considerably more important for a subject like Fine Art. I would strongly recommend you do a Foundation Course in Fine Art before considering to apply.

Thank you! I am planning to do a foundation if I get a rejection. But I am afraid that even with a foundation, they might not want me as an applicant because of my grades. I have heard that accepted applicants usually have 43+, with the minimum of one B in gcse. So I am mainly concerned about my grades, especially GCSEs since they cannot be changed. :frown:
Reply 5341
Original post by Samyuli
Thank you! I am planning to do a foundation if I get a rejection. But I am afraid that even with a foundation, they might not want me as an applicant because of my grades. I have heard that accepted applicants usually have 43+, with the minimum of one B in gcse. So I am mainly concerned about my grades, especially GCSEs since they cannot be changed. :frown:

Something that you should remember is that nothing is impossible. Maybe your grades are too low, maybe they're not. That doesn't stop you applying and getting into Oxford, it just makes things a little bit more difficult. You can still get better grades, one way or another. Have a good long think. How can you make yourself more attractive to a business such as Oxford. Good luck!
Original post by lamp-y
http://www.stdominics.org.uk/media/uploads/Supporting%20Students%20-%20NI.pdf

This link is fascinating: I don't know where it's from but it looks legit. In 2010 apparently 5% of those with 1A* at GCSE, and 8% of those with 2, are given offers by Oxford. That percentage goes up to 53% and 61% for 11 and 12 A*s respectively.

I agree those statistics would be fascinating if correct. The presentation looks official, but the statistics there don't line up with other statistics I have.

For example, it says the average Law student has 4.82 A*s, but I know that for 2012 Law applicants with 5+ GCSEs, 79% of their GCSEs were A* grades. Obviously 2010 isn't 2012, but put together, these stats suggest the average Law applicant only has about six GCSEs, which is totally implausible. The same is true of most subjects actually. So perhaps the stats in that presentation include internationals without GCSEs (e.g. Classics is top, because of few international students?), which if true, would make the figures there completely useless. Although I'm not convinced the numbers work for that either.

It's also worth noting that we are now entering the 2015 application cycle. A lot has changed in Oxford admissions since 2010. Pre-interview aptitude tests are much more common, and provide a way to shine without so good grades. Of course the typical student's grades are still very high.
Original post by fluteflute
I agree those statistics would be fascinating if correct. The presentation looks official, but the statistics there don't line up with other statistics I have.

For example, it says the average Law student has 4.82 A*s, but I know that for 2012 Law applicants with 5+ GCSEs, 79% of their GCSEs were A* grades. Obviously 2010 isn't 2012, but put together, these stats suggest the average Law applicant only has about six GCSEs, which is totally implausible. The same is true of most subjects actually. So perhaps the stats in that presentation include internationals without GCSEs (e.g. Classics is top, because of few international students?), which if true, would make the figures there completely useless. Although I'm not convinced the numbers work for that either.

It's also worth noting that we are now entering the 2015 application cycle. A lot has changed in Oxford admissions since 2010. Pre-interview aptitude tests are much more common, and provide a way to shine without so good grades. Of course the typical student's grades are still very high.

I don't think internationals have been counted, the way the admission statistics database is set up, someone would have to intentionally set international students' GCSE # A*s column to 0 (by default, it's blank) - which would be a bit nonsensical.

That said, the statistics look complete nonsense:

"The average applicant has around 6.2 A*s"

and yet only two subjects (Classics and Medicine) have an average of above 6.2, so I'd be interested to know how they managed to work that one out. What makes it even more bizarre is if they used the APS database to work these out (which they would've done) the breakdown by course will only include students who successfully matriculated, not applicants. So either the average applicant has a higher number of A*s than the average successful applicant (lol) or the statistics are nonsense.
Original post by fluteflute

Regardless, was the poster's point not fair? Achieving 2A* at GCSE does (causally or otherwise) relate to a low success rate at Oxford. In the same way that it would be remiss of me to refer to 'that guy from my year who got in with 82% UMS' to bolster the hopes of someone applying to Cambridge with low UMS.

But perhaps Oxford don't have as strict a mandate on GCSEs (excluding medicine) as Cambridge do on UMS, in which case fair enough.
Original post by ClickItBack
Regardless, was the poster's point not fair? Achieving 2A* at GCSE does (causally or otherwise) relate to a low success rate at Oxford. In the same way that it would be remiss of me to refer to 'that guy from my year who got in with 82% UMS' to bolster the hopes of someone applying to Cambridge with low UMS.

But perhaps Oxford don't have as strict a mandate on GCSEs (excluding medicine) as Cambridge do on UMS, in which case fair enough.

I was deliberately not getting involved in the 2A* discussion :tongue:

I don't think the grades in themselves are a barrier to entry, but grades can be an indication that someone won't perform that well in other aspects of the application process.
Hey guys, I'm thinking of applying for Law.

I got AAAA at AS with A*A*A*A predictions in facilitating subjects.

The only problem is that i got bad gcses 10 A-C grades and will be applying with mitigating circumstances.

What do you think?
I have C2 certificate from EF. Advanced level. Is that enough to apply to Oxford Uni.?
Could I get into Oxford? Specifically for PPE
A - 90% UMS - History
A - 86% UMS - Gvt. and Politics
A - 84% UMS - Economics and Business
B - 78% UMS - English Literature
Predicted A*AA (dropped English)
Consistently scoring 38/39 in TSA
Done a bit of extra-curricular stuff involving politics.
Should I apply to Oxford? Specifically for PPE
A - 90% UMS - History
A - 86% UMS - Gvt. and Politics
A - 84% UMS - Economics and Business
B - 78% UMS - English Literature
Predicted A*AA (dropped English)
Consistently scoring 38/39 in TSA
Done a bit of extra-curricular stuff involving politics.
Just a bit wary of wasting one of my choices and rushing to get everything done before the earlier deadline.
Gcses?

It's recommended that you do at least AS Maths - although it's not compulsory.

PPE is very competitive, but it will depend on your TSA on the day, gcses, and interview if you get one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lucilou101
Gcses?

It's recommended that you do at least AS Maths - although it's not compulsory.

PPE is very competitive, but it will depend on your TSA on the day, gcses, and interview if you get one.

GCSEs are a bit of a weak point for me - 1A*, 7As, 2Bs, was a bit under the weather with a few things at the time.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Hello, I want to do PPE at Oxford, I'm currently taking Politics, Economics, History and English Lit. If I achieve, say A*AAB in A2, then would it worth taking a gap year and doing AS in Maths and Critical thinking?

I would be doing more A levels but the college I'm at has limit of only taking 4 A levels.

Thanks. Oh, also how much emphasis do Oxbridge put on gcses? Be honest, but don't over exaggerate, I was told that my a levels were hard, but I'm finding them extremely easy.

Critical thinking is pretty useless, so I definitely wouldn't bother with that. AS maths would be useful but not essential for PPE, according to the Oxford website, so I personally wouldn't take a gap year purely to do AS maths. I'm not clear whether you're currently doing AS or A2 - if you're still in year 12 you could consider taking AS maths alongside your A2 exams, even if you do it outside of your college.

Oxford place more emphasis on GCSE grades than Cambridge do, with most applicants having a high percentage of A* grades.

Also be aware that many students will be applying to Oxford for PPE with higher A2 grades or predicted grades than A*AAB - although AAA is the standard offer, you may not be the strongest applicant if you're offering those grades compared with someone who has 4A* grades. That's not to say that you don't stand a chance, it's just something to be aware of.

You might also want to post this in the Oxford forum if you haven't already.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ElMatador
GCSEs are a bit of a weak point for me - 1A*, 7As, 2Bs, was a bit under the weather with a few things at the time.

They are a bit low, but with all the other factors you still have a chance. No one can really say how big or little it is!

If you think you can do well on the TSA and at interview then give it a go, it's only one of five choices :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
They are a bit low, but with all the other factors you still have a chance. No one can really say how big or little it is!

If you think you can do well on the TSA and at interview then give it a go, it's only one of five choices :smile:

Thanks for the help!
Hi, I've just applied to study Law with German Law at Lincoln College. Here are my IB predicted grades:

English HL - 7
History HL - 7
German HL - 6

French SL - 7
Biology SL - 5
Maths SL - 5

ToK + EE - 3

Total = 40 Points

I'll also be taking the LNAT's on the 12th. Any input on whether I have a realistic chance would be appreciated!
Hi everyone!

I'm applying to Keble for biological sciences, just wondering what are the chances of me getting in? I have 5A*s (maths, physics, bio, chem and chinese) 1A (english lit) 3Bs (history, business and english lang) at GCSE and AAABB (bio, physics, chem, maths and chinese respectively) at AS. I'm predicted A*A*A (bio, chem and physics (A* if i retake unit 1)). I do a lot of wider reading (approx. 10 biology related articles a week), led and organized a workshop on brain-computer interface which was externally funded (applied for funding and got $7000 to buy equipment), part of the toastmasters executive team at my school and i've been on the school's volleyball team (for 4 years), basketball team (also 4 years) and netball team (for 2 years). I saw a document on the Keble biological science page that stated applicants with 6A*s or more at GCSE and A2 predictions of A*AA are automatically interviewed, which means i have a shortage of 1A* at GCSE. Would this reduce my chances of getting interviewed significantly since the rest of my GCSEs weren't great?

Thanks!
Original post by qiqi1997
Hi everyone!

I'm applying to Keble for biological sciences, just wondering what are the chances of me getting in? I have 5A*s (maths, physics, bio, chem and chinese) 1A (english lit) 3Bs (history, business and english lang) at GCSE and AAABB (bio, physics, chem, maths and chinese respectively) at AS. I'm predicted A*A*A (bio, chem and physics (A* if i retake unit 1)). I do a lot of wider reading (approx. 10 biology related articles a week), led and organized a workshop on brain-computer interface which was externally funded (applied for funding and got $7000 to buy equipment), part of the toastmasters executive team at my school and i've been on the school's volleyball team (for 4 years), basketball team (also 4 years) and netball team (for 2 years). I saw a document on the Keble biological science page that stated applicants with 6A*s or more at GCSE and A2 predictions of A*AA are automatically interviewed, which means i have a shortage of 1A* at GCSE. Would this reduce my chances of getting interviewed significantly since the rest of my GCSEs weren't great?

Thanks!

Hey, do you have a link to that document?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup right here: http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/2013BiologicalSci.pdf
They also have one for 2011 and 2012 and the criteria is the same but I'm not sure if it only applies to this course. Are you also applying for biological sciences? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending