The Student Room Group

2015 Applicants...do you know what course you're applying for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TVIO
Perhaps we'll meet at imperial/UCL interview days. Best of luck with Oxford (Cambridge are better :tongue:) Imperial I've heard also like to make high offers at least for comp sci...fun. I think a UCL interview pretty much guarantees a place. Similar with imperial. What does geophysics entail then?

I've heard of Imperial's horrible offers, which is why I'm very much hoping for an Oxford offer! At least their interviews are informal, in comparison with the gruelling environment of an Oxbridge interview. Geophysics is basically the application of physics in the earth sciences. So there's a lot of modelling involved, particularly for things like tectonics and environmental physics. Really really fascinating stuff! So I suppose there's a bit of overlap between Geophysics and Computer Science, although Geophysics is certainly not as pure as CompSci :smile:
I'm in Y12 and I keep changing my mind about what I want to do! Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Chlorophile
I've heard of Imperial's horrible offers, which is why I'm very much hoping for an Oxford offer! At least their interviews are informal, in comparison with the gruelling environment of an Oxbridge interview. Geophysics is basically the application of physics in the earth sciences. So there's a lot of modelling involved, particularly for things like tectonics and environmental physics. Really really fascinating stuff! So I suppose there's a bit of overlap between Geophysics and Computer Science, although Geophysics is certainly not as pure as CompSci :smile:

I think they're part academic for comp sci at imperial. Some sort of maths test. Geophysics sounds pretty cool actually. Oxford put more weightage on tests than the actual interview i brelieve, so wouldn't be too worried if I were you/
Original post by TVIO
I think they're part academic for comp sci at imperial. Some sort of maths test. Geophysics sounds pretty cool actually. Oxford put more weightage on tests than the actual interview i brelieve, so wouldn't be too worried if I were you/

Except Earth Sciences doesn't have a test ):
Reply 24
It's all bum i cant even write a ****ing personal statement. Cant i just sing les mis songs forever
I wanted to read Law for most of Yr 11 and all of Yr 12. But about a month ago I decided I wanted to study Economics, when I sat down and really asked myself what I was passionate about. I looked at every course, and to me personally, Econ was perfect. I've sent off my application now, so we'll see where I get offers from!
I originally planned on doing Italian, but I didn't like that the history bits only went as far as medieval Italy. Now I'm applying for ancient history/classical civilisation. I am super excited. I'm sending off my application today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sent my application 6 days ago and I only heard back from 2 universities. :s-smilie:
Original post by peterith
I sent my application 6 days ago and I only heard back from 2 universities. :s-smilie:

Only two. Haha. That's exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
Only two. Haha. That's exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea... but I would appreciate it if the other three acknowledge my existence!
Yea... but I would appreciate it if the other three acknowledge my existence!

It's still early. You're lucky you already heard back at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine went on 11th September, and I've only heard from one, and that was to say 'You'll hear from us very soon!'

So frustrating!
Original post by TwoLimes
Mine went on 11th September, and I've only heard from one, and that was to say 'You'll hear from us very soon!'

So frustrating!

They probably do that to get your hopes up. The universities are basically playing God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People have offers already?!

I want one. :sadnod:
(edited 9 years ago)
I sent mine off on Friday... how long did you guys have to wait before you got the log in details for UCAS track?

P.s. I'm applying for biomed at UEA, Brunel, QMUL, Hertfordshire and Surrey if anyone is interested :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by GoblinQueen
I sent mine off on Friday... how long did you guys have to wait before you got the log in details for UCAS track?

P.s. I'm applying for biomed at UEA, Brunel, QMUL, Hertfordshire and Surrey if anyone is interested :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your school has to attach the reference then send it off from them. It took me a week after pay/send to get the track e-mail.
Original post by TVIO
Your school has to attach the reference then send it off from them. It took me a week after pay/send to get the track e-mail.

Cool thank you :smile: my reference should be done nice and quick since I'm the only person in my group who has applied so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Coffeetime
I originally planned on doing Italian, but I didn't like that the history bits only went as far as medieval Italy. Now I'm applying for ancient history/classical civilisation. I am super excited. I'm sending off my application today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds really good. Now you know what you definately want to do! haha.

What Universities are you applying to as I was looking at studying a very similar course to this??
Reply 38
Before I used to think that Biomedical Engineering was the course for me but after I saw Materials Science I fell in love with it. I'm sending my application next week, Cambridge, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham and Swansea!
Original post by Daniel_T
That sounds really good. Now you know what you definately want to do! haha.

What Universities are you applying to as I was looking at studying a very similar course to this??

I know! I'm so excited, it's insane. I'm applying to Nottingham, Warwick, Leeds, Newcastle and Reading.

What are you looking to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending